Changing the polar patterns in a mic

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Changing the polar patterns in a mic

Postby spandex man » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:11 pm

I have a quick question about the guts of multi polar pattern mics. How is it, by the magic of technology, that when i turn a knob or switch on one of these microphones that i can go from omni to cardioid to figure 8? I seem to remember something about 2 capsules, possibly figure 8 and omni that phase cancel each other to produce cardioid, or something like that. Im sure i have learned this before, but i can find any info to remind me how it works.

The reason im asking is because my Peluso 2247LE is stuck on omni right now, and the cables are notorious for being poor. Im thinking that maybe one of the pins in the XLR isnt connecting, so if im right about the capsules phase canceling and one of the capsules isnt working, i may be onto something... Unfortunately i dont have a multi meter handy and i cant seem to figure out how to disassemble the connectors on the cable to have a look.

Anyway, my problem aside, any help with the first bit would be great.
Troy Nababan

A VERY handsome sound guy.
spandex man

Postby Gian » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:16 pm

I think it works like this... but i am happy to be corrected

There is a voltage to the front diaphram - cardioid
There is a voltage to the font and the back diaphram - figure 8
There is a lower voltage on the back and the normal one on the front - omni
Gian Parodi
It's the first watt that counts
Gian
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rick » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:16 pm

the pattern select either sends polorising voltage to the back plate or removes it
if you stuck in omni , then its the cutting of the voltage that is missing , so its probably the switch not doing its job .

if you that way inclined clean the polar switch if your not get a tech to do it for you
Last edited by rick on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby spandex man » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Thanks for the quick responses!

I think i get it. I opened up the PSU yesterday and the switch looked like a bunch of resistors in series. I assume the amount of clicks of the switch determines the amount of resistance of the voltage to the back plate. Very cool.

And yes, i am always that way inclined, Rick.

Cheers.
Troy Nababan

A VERY handsome sound guy.
spandex man

Postby rick » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:40 pm

there can be more to it of coarse but thats the idea.... start by cleaning and making sure the switch contacts are aligned and doing their thing . if its a sealed cheapo switch it might be harder to know
then work yourself into other possibilties (voltage rails are wrong.. capsule voltages are wrong ... etc )
but i would bet on the switch.

ben sneezby use to import them so thats where i would start if you need serious help
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.