Multiple Monitors and Cubase splash screen

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Multiple Monitors and Cubase splash screen

Postby Chinagraf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:21 am

I'm on Windows XP Pro. I recently added a 42" as a 3rd screen. It all works great except when I start Cubase the startup splash shows up on the 42" instead of on one of the desktop monitors that is designated as my primary display for windows.
Thing is the video card driving the 42" used to be my only card, so when you click the 'identify' button in the multiple monitor setup the 42" comes up as number 1 and the 2 desktops as 2 and 3 (they are on a seperate video card).
The 42" is also being used as the windos boot screen.
Anyone know how I can change it so one of the desktop mitors is the boot/splash screen? Preferably without rewriting parts of XP?
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby lonearranger » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:05 am

Try display properties/settings - the three monitors should be identified and you can click on each of them. There is a radio button called - use this device as my primary monitor. On my 2 screen setup this is ignored - but I suspect its because the nvidia control software is overriding it.

If the video cards are of the same type then the driver specific control panel might also let you select such stuff too.

Cheers
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby Chinagraf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:26 am

Thnaks Michel, but I have everything working under the Nvidia setup panel. Right desktop is elected as my primary monitor and everything is working fine. Except for this one little thing. I suspect because the 42" is id'd as monitor 1 windows is using it as the boot monitor.
What I can't seem to do is re-id the monitors so the right desktop monitor is id'd as 1 instead of 2. Weirdly enough, Cubase is the only porg that does it. Reason shows it's startup splacsh on whichever moitor is selected as primary.
Cheers.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:32 am

There's probably a bios setting for which display to initialise first (eg: onboard, pci, agp, pci-e). If you change it then windows should change what it considers to be monitor 1.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby lonearranger » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:59 am

Andy,

Have a look in nView Desktop Manager - there is an applications tab where you can set custom desktop manager settings - add an entry for cubase and see if the dialog box control helps, failing that the launch settings may also help by setting the open windows on display to the monitor you want.

There were a few murmurs re this issue on cubase.net, but no solutions - possibly a glitch that ignores the primary monitor and assume monitor 1 is primary. This may allow you to force it into submission.

Cheers
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby Chinagraf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:02 pm

THanks guys, I'll give it another try..
Cheers
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.