Start my own Label

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Start my own Label

Postby DwaneHollands » Fri May 07, 2010 12:00 am

I know this is premature...

Anyone know how to start your own label to release records under? I realise every tom dick and harry has one...what's one more?

Mainly for iTunes releases etc...
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby heathen » Fri May 07, 2010 10:41 am

Go for it!!! In reality though total pain in the butt these days, would be great if people still bought cd's. A mate and I have just been relesed from our distribution contract and have about 4 albums worth of hiphop to release on itunes over the next week or so. I decided I'm not selling my gear and we are going to record as many records as possible over the next few years and release everything on itunes, every single track, lucky he has plenty to say heh.

So I dunno I've given up on the idea of a label as such, though we'll still release it under our label we will be the only artists on it. Here's a taste of things to come. http://www.triplejunearthed.com/Artists ... stid=18211 have a listen to "Bounce", needs a remix before release though.

So yeah mate just do it. All you really need is a tax file number a logo, artists and bank accounts to start. I know there's about 100 other things everyone will fill in.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby DwaneHollands » Fri May 07, 2010 12:18 pm

heathen wrote:Go for it!!! In reality though total pain in the butt these days, would be great if people still bought cd's. A mate and I have just been relesed from our distribution contract and have about 4 albums worth of hiphop to release on itunes over the next week or so. I decided I'm not selling my gear and we are going to record as many records as possible over the next few years and release everything on itunes, every single track, lucky he has plenty to say heh.

So I dunno I've given up on the idea of a label as such, though we'll still release it under our label we will be the only artists on it. Here's a taste of things to come. http://www.triplejunearthed.com/Artists ... stid=18211 have a listen to "Bounce", needs a remix before release though.

So yeah mate just do it. All you really need is a tax file number a logo, artists and bank accounts to start. I know there's about 100 other things everyone will fill in.

Cool man. Thanks for the encouragement. Tax File number, logo and bank accounts are no problems.

Yeah that bounce song was pretty cool. Man I liked the bass and the brass. The track sounds really clean and transparent too man! Really nice soundstage too! What did you use for the brass? Were they pre-recorded loops or a virtual instrument. (or just a real instrument!)

Sounds good that you're staying in it Heath...You got the skills!
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby heathen » Fri May 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks mate I try to give it a good go, dunno think they are samples, my mate writes all his stuff all i did was play the bassline and mix the track. Was a $50 mic also, gotta lend him my good pres and mic for the next record, most of his best takes are done at home when he's "in the zone". i think I did the bass with trilogy plugin.

But yeah we're just thinking of hopefully doing maybe 10 records over the next 2 years or sooner. Might generate an income for him/us, might not.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby amnesia » Sat May 08, 2010 7:28 pm

I have just started an "avant electronics" label, we have released 6 CDs from vintage 1975 analog stuff to the latest in computer electronics, all unreleased avant electronics. We are going to get distribution from a US leftfiled store Mimaroglu records to help sales.

I never expected to sell many but we arent stoopid getting 2000 released just 100 cds which are all sellable.
http://www.vicmod.net/
Ross Healy
Electronic Artist/Sound Designer
VICMOD RECORDS
http://www.vicmod.net
MODULAR VIDS
http://www.youtube.com/user/cray56
amnesia

Postby Mickstape » Sun May 09, 2010 10:50 am

sorry about the thread hijack Dwayne.

Hey Heath, who did your graphic splash on the unearthed page man? I wouldn't mind engaging whoever did it for a logo design for my biz dude, i love that manga samurai shizz.
Thats not a hot dog....This is a hot dog!
Michael Shaw - Mickstape Productions
Mickstape
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby heathen » Sun May 09, 2010 12:05 pm

Hey Mick no probs, yeah he is a good artist and very into Manga and all that. I'm not sure of his rates but I reckon he would do it for a reasonable amount, he works pretty quick..

Will pm you his details.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby DwaneHollands » Tue May 11, 2010 1:34 pm

amnesia wrote:I never expected to sell many but we arent stoopid getting 2000 released just 100 cds which are all sellable.
http://www.vicmod.net/

Hi Amnesia,

What do you mean that your getting 2000 released, but 100 cd's which are sellable. Do you mean 2000 cds pressed and only 100 of them will sell?

Cheers!

Dwane
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby DwaneHollands » Tue May 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Ok, just a little bit back on topic : )

Is there somewhere I need to register my label to be recognised as a label by industry organisations?

A little while ago I found a music distribution service in the UK kinda like tunecore. They said they can register your music label for $20 or something. It would enable you to be charted on the radio station if your sales got over certain amount. Then you get on the top 40.

They've had 15 songs get in the top 40 etc.

I'm guessing there would be mutiple places to register for different recognition.
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby SteveL » Tue May 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Dwane,

AIR (Australian Independent Record Labels Association) is a great place to start, and has some great resources....

http://www.air.org.au/

Cheers - Steve
Steve Lindsay
SteveL
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby DwaneHollands » Tue May 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks SteveL,

Will check it out! Cheers!
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au