Who has been a backline tech before?

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Who has been a backline tech before?

Postby Mickstape » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:21 am

Okay so i've been asked to do the backline teching for a well known country artist currently on a Australian tour atm. The original guy is goneski so I'm pretty happy to land the slot as it will be my first big foray into the touring gig (eg:not just a 10 show whistle stop pub tour), just wondering if anyone has some tips on how to ensure the process goes as good as it can. I realise i have to start from the bottom again, and going from being a tradey to an apprentice again has been a challenge mentally but i've been getting slots as a foh op and also doing a little bit of lighting as well so its not like i'm labor hire (for the most part hah!)

As i'm not doing FOH or monitors i figure that what it sounds like out in the venue is not my concern, the FOH guy is well known both here and in the industry so that shouldn't ever be a problem, the thing i would like to know is what do you production guys look for in a backline tech? Im a muso so getting the instruments prepped and ready to go is not a concern although i'm wondering if i will have an input at all regarding the audio eg; micing up, sound check etc?

I feel like a door is opening for me here, and i'm hoping that by tours end (next year i think) i will be in a position to start asking old mate for more FOH/Monitor mix slots for the bigger names instead of just doing the small stuff like i'm doing now. Obviously i'm going to be invisible for a while and i'm accepting of that, i also know that this is possibly a chance to prove my worth so how and when should i approach the guy i'm contracting to (as well as the FOH guy) to raise the issue. I'm always on his case about bigger gigs, i feel live audio is where i'm going to make my "name" as a sound guy, but i'm just not getting the ones i want!

I'm ready to do the shitkicking, i know its one of those things so i ain't complaining, and i know theres a lot that i can learn from this tour, so other than ears open/mouth shut can you lot offer me some extra advice?
Thats not a hot dog....This is a hot dog!
Michael Shaw - Mickstape Productions
Mickstape
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kurt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:00 am

I've done a few shows, but no tours...

You may be asked to play stuff for sound check, but I doubt you'll have any input, especially if they have a monitor guy. If they don't you may have some input into stage sound.

If it's a budget show you may end up doing monitors too...

In my experience from my crewing days.... None of the PA guys care about the backline guys, until you get in their way! You're even further down the food chain than lights.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby TimS » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Kurt wrote:In my experience from my crewing days.... None of the PA guys care about the backline guys, until you get in their way! You're even further down the food chain than lights.

Hmmm, something to look forward to Mick.. ;-) Have fun dude..
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Mickstape » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:13 pm

well im sitting here with the very accommodating crew from the LK tour, just discussing latency and delay issues with Damien from Pony. I guess im lucky that i'm an audio weenie and not a lighting dweeb haha.
Mickstape
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

thanks

Postby Damien » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:17 pm

mick, thanks for your efforts on the weekend... i hope to see you again soon....(the old backline guy is back.....mick was great, but the issues with the old mik were sorted...)

now does anyone know a good lighting rigger..... we broke the last one.

seriously, im after an experienced lighting rigger.
Damien Young
damienyoungmusic@gmail.com
0412 354 254
Damien
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Mickstape » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:24 pm

No worries Damo, thanks for being so accommodating and nice mate, it was good to meet you and "rape" your mind for all those little hints and tips on how to survive in this game. And yeah it's a little disappointing to be kicked to the kerb but that's life mate, no harm no foul.

Hope the tour goes well, unfortunately i don't know any lighting guys, actually i do know one, he was Bullbars protege, i'll forward his number to you right now.
Mickstape
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.