Regulated AC PSU for Emagic AMT8

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Regulated AC PSU for Emagic AMT8

Postby ether » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Looking for a little bit of advice before I fry another bit gear...

I have an Emagic AMT8 MIDI unit I haven't used in years, that I'm about to start using again.

I can't find the wall wart, so went looking for a replacement. The manual specifies 9V AC 900mA. The closest I came was a Jaycar unit rated 9V AC 1A, but it was unregulated and came with a stern warning sticker saying not to use it for components that don't draw 1A.

From memory I've actually mistakenly run this from a typical Boss-style 9V DC PSU without issue, which I've seen other people do, but would prefer to do the right long term thing.

Any recommendations? Can't seem to track down a 9C AC 900mA REGULATED PSU anywhere. Have little to no sparky knowledge.

Ask 2 studio owners a question, get 5 opinions back ;)

Cheers all.

- AJ
- AJ

aj.music@me.com
Chalmers St, Redfern
0488 303 600

http://itunes.apple.com/au/artist//id169133326

NEW SOUND WAVES
Modular Synth Collective for Sydneysiders and those Nearby
http://nswaves.tumblr.com
ether

Re: Regulated AC PSU for Emagic AMT8

Postby Futureman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:56 pm

If it runs off 9vAC (Note AC, not the boss style DC) you'll be pretty hard pressed to find a regulated AC power supply.. I'm pretty sure nothing like that exists. (Regulated DC, yep, heaps of them around)

if the manual specifies 9vAC @ 900mA and you use a 9vAC @ 1000mA( =1A) you'll be fine .

The mA rating of the power supply is how much current the wall wart can deliver, so going over is never going to cause damage.

Regards
Mike
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.