anyone using "AC-7 Core Pro" on iPad to mix

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

anyone using "AC-7 Core Pro" on iPad to mix

Postby Gian » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi

been recording/mixing on my mac book, and have been thinking of getting a control surface.

I noticed that there is a sofware control surface for the iPad called "AC-7 Core Pro" and you can use multiple fingers on the screen to use faders as well as the transport buttons, etc.

Is anyone using this at all and if so, how is it going? Do you wish you had a real (physical) control surface?

I was looking at the euphonix stuff, but an iPad is cheaper and the software is only about $5 on the app store.

Any thoughts?
Gian Parodi
It's the first watt that counts
Gian
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: anyone using "AC-7 Core Pro" on iPad to mix

Postby Ben M » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Gian wrote:Any thoughts?

Nothing beats a fader Gian.
:)
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Tried it, didn't like it. Faders were laggy. It was good for mutes and solos and transport buttons, but terrible for doing fader rides. Would be handy as a remote transport if you wanted to hit record from the booth while playing drums or piano or something. One of the guys who has it at our place liked it till he spent a few minutes on my Euphonix and now wants to get one instead. But yeah, if you aready have an ipad it would be a handy remote for buttons, and you can unplug the ipad and take it to the can with you to read a mag on.
Our studio manager has an AR drone that the ipad controls. Now that is way cool. We fly it around reception.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Jason » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:34 am

[quote]
Nothing beats a fader Gian.
:)[/quote]

Have to agree with this one. I have been using the iPad for transport functions and mutes etc. I have a faderport thing hooked up as well and I use it's fader for that stuff. I have ripped the fader out of it's case and put it in a spare slot on the console then got a fader knob the same as the consoles and put on it. You can't tell it's different till it takes off.
Jason Howley
Ambient Sound
Jason

Postby Alistair » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:10 am

There's this one too- http://www.folabs.com/proremote.html

Heaps more expensive ($120!), but has good reviews as far as latency etc.
Alistair McLean
Alistair
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby The Tasmanian » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:24 am

I am looking forward to the next generation of these apps.
It wont be long before these become much better - more like a remote mouse/controller so that all functions are usable from the ipad.
I look forward to the day when I have a mix at the stage where I go for a wander around the room to get away from the monitoring position to hear it more in the real world - like a home stereo in the other room. To be able to listen and adjust any detail from a distance will be a great way to work.
The whole fader lagging thing is a non issue for me - as I would never attempt to mix my fader rides from an ipad - but would love to tweek plugs, and adjust/fine tune levels and EQ's from a distance.
But anyone now can do all of this with a separate laptop using remote access to the main computer - but an ipad would be much sexier way of doing it
It is all very promising, and software designers all over the globe would be scrambling to make all of this happen asap.
good times ahead!
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Gian » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks for everyone's reply. I have just gotten myself a euphonic mix. I'll tell u how I get on.
Gian Parodi
It's the first watt that counts
Gian
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Alistair » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:07 pm

For what it's worth- I downloaded AC-7 mini for my iphone. For $6, it's fantastic. Yeah, faders are tiny, would never do rides on them, but it's worth it just to have a portable transport control to stop/start from the other side of the room.
I've got no discernable latency- I've actually got more latency on my hardware be!@#$%^& midi faders.

The more I think about it the more I think you might be onto something with a board of 8 patchable hardware faders Chris!
Alistair McLean
Alistair
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.