Are super-loud noises going to ruin my mics?

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Are super-loud noises going to ruin my mics?

Postby Hud » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:30 am

Hi all

I'm seeking knowledge on the effect of high spl on mics, particularly when condensors are pushed up to their limits or past. Will this eventually (or quickly) wear down a mic in some way, and change its response?

Common sense tells me not to overload a condensor mic just to be on the safe side, and I tend not to record near its suggested maximum spl anyways. I also remember reading an editorial of some kind mentioning the hard life of some u47 fets being used as kick drums, and how many of these mics are the worse for wear.

On the other hand, I have heard people saying that overloading a mic brings a distortion that may or may not be pleasant.. Not overloading the pre or compressor, but the mic itself.. I'm wondering if my fear of high spl is rational. Any science on the subject or experiences would be greatly appreciated :D
Hudan_Nuch
Hud

Re: Are super-loud noises going to ruin my mics?

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:37 pm

I've never noticed an overloaded mic sounding anything but horrible. I have blown capsules in a few dynamic mics on kick duty, they'll either sound obviously broken or just not work any more.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rick » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:34 pm

hitting a decent condenser too loud ie * super beyond belief mega loud * will probably give the capsule some grief for the short cycle until it unsticks itself, but really its unlikely you regularly make noise that loud , you may overload the internal preamp if you try but thats about it.

lots of people stress about this stuff - if it makes you worried i suggest your life would be better without doing it.

this is presuming your capsules were in good condition before you abused them
if they are really old and brittle you just may accelerate there demise with loud spl , but .. well they were probably out of whack sound wise anyway .. if you ever "pop" a condenser well it was probably doing you a favour
i have never done one

but you are really worried about the wrong mics

the real issue ironically is for ribbons or some dynamics which have lower spl max levels in their elements

my thoughts are if you can make the noise with a musical instrument you can record it without fear with any quality condenser

add to that list some cheap condensers , most dynamics and a few ribbons and you are set

i have been putting neumann 47 fets on loud things for a long time ( kick and bass in particular ) its the same capsule that half of neumanns LDC have in them (m 49 .. and most of the new tlm series )
so the capsule itself can surely handle the abuse

some internal preamps on microphones will have clipping issues but typically those microphones offer an internal pad as well.

so common sense is telling you to be careful with your condensers on spl ?

perhaps my experience is not so common..?
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby Hud » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks Kurt and Rick

Kurt wrote:I have blown capsules in a few dynamic mics on kick duty, they'll either sound obviously broken or just not work any more.

I'm glad to hear that even in the world of live metal, you don't regularly have to worry about high spl :P

rick wrote:the real issue ironically is for ribbons or some dynamics which have lower spl max levels in their elements

Complete opposite to what I expected. Glad I asked!

rick wrote:so common sense is telling you to be careful with your condensers on spl ?
perhaps my experience is not so common..?

Yeh this is definately why I was after some experiences. My "common sense" was to take the less risky path, given that I didn't know what could happen. But ok, glad to hear that decent condensors in good shape are generally well equipped to handle loud noises.
Hudan_Nuch
Hud

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.