New kid on the block....

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

New kid on the block....

Postby nado1969 » Sat May 21, 2011 11:58 am

Hi All.
Thought I'd better intoduce myself after years of lurking and finally signing up!

I've been a keen audio geek and muso since I was about 9 years old. We were involved in a big church, and I played guitar, and got involved in anything tech-o sound wise that I could, learning as much as possible from the older experienced guys. From about 16 I kind of went my own way a bit, started a blues rock cover and original band with some mates called Jon Dory (back in 1988), and the singer (Bernie Binns) and I still play together whenever we can to this day. In fact, the band only fully 'dis-banded' a few years ago!

I chose a 'regular' career (now a Project Manager in Telstra, nearly 24 years in the same company!) and a family and mortgage over trying to 'make it' in the music industry, either as a player or otherwise. Perhaps a wise move in hindsight, and I don't have any regrets, my life is fantastic and I have MUCH to be thankful for. I do however envy some of you guys who have worked in the audio field all your lives. I recall a conversation I had with Rick at Integrate last year - he seemed surprised that I did not have a lot of experience with old analog recording gear given my age (41). I guess I focused on playing music from a young age, and have only taken a serious interest in the recording and production side of things in the last 10 years or so. Yes I'm envious of many of you guys who have never known anything else, and have had hands on experience with the whole evolution of the trade, but I would not swap my life for anything.

For a time I did PA hire and live sound, but I've now broken the same ankle twice (car first, harley second...!) and have given up on anything that involved lugging a lot of gear around! So, now I find myself producing tracks for songwriters at my home based setup, playing guitar in country rock band Crakajak, and trying to find a niche for myself in this industry. I don't want to 'compete' with anyone, I just want to continue honing my skills, improving my product, learning from all the amazingly talented people I meet and perhaps impart something useful of myself.

This seems like a great place to meet like minded folk, and I look forward to learning from and hopefully contributing to this esteemed group!

Cheers
Nathan Warrick
Kane Audio Music Production - Melbourne
http://www.kaneaudio.com.au/
nado1969

Re: New kid on the block....

Postby Mark Bassett » Sat May 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Welcome Nathan.
Mark Bassett
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: New kid on the block....