Gotta vent about selling stuff to dorks

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Gotta vent about selling stuff to dorks

Postby Drumstruck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:10 pm

I've just gotta vent this..... I sold a TC Helicon Voiceworks on eBay a week ago - brand new unit, 12 months old but has never been used other than I put it in my rack and powered it up to test it was alive.

Next thing I know he's complaining and telling me it doesn't work and he's very unhappy - he took it to his local music shop and paid them $15 to test it and they told him it didn't pass signal. So I told him to send it back and refunded his money.

It arrived back this morning and I powered it up - good.. it has lights. I plugged it in and sent some signal ... hmmm nothing showing..... I checked the menu and it was set to receive digital signal..... changed it to analog and bingo - all perfect.

Whadaya do about selling to dorks? And I would not be going to that music shop for anything......

So I've got a Helicon again and I think I'll keep it now - the delays and verbs sound quite nice after all ~x(
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Gotta vent about selling stuff to dorks

Postby Manning » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:13 pm

If that isn't a "sign", then I don't know what is :)
Manning Bartlett, Studio Laughing Duck, Glenorie NSW
http://www.studiolaughingduck.com
Manning
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jkhuri44 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:29 pm

i guess you've got a funny story? kid probably read a review in some music mag, and some shit hot guitarist in some shit hot band used that fx unit...bought it, was a fail mofo, sent it back....receive lols....
Jamil Khuri
Amusement & Audio Engineer
"it's not awesome unless its 240bpm with distorted 909 kicks!"
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby mylesgm » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm

Yep had that happen a few times. "hey this preamp you sold me doesn't work" "What mic are you using?" "Shure KSM" "Have you switched on phantom power?" "Yeah the preamps on" "Yes but did you switch Phantom power on?" "Whats that?" Etc...

Comes with the territory sadly...
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby obutcher » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:59 pm

I had a similar story with some microphones I sold on ebay. They were a drum mic pack. The guy called after buying them saying that the overhead mics didn't work. Told him you need to turn Phantom Power on, got a "what's that?" response. He then tried calling me every day for a week about 'problems' he was having with the mics even though I never had one issue with them. After 3 days of me not answering my phone he finally stopped calling!
Owen Butcher
obutcher

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.