Shared studio space workings

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Shared studio space workings

Postby jeremyc » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Hello All

I am putting the question out to find some info on how a studio works with multiple engineers, using the same studio. space. Questions like ..What are the normal practises or pitfalls that happen?..Do engineers pay a fee to have access? Is the studio cost billed on top of the engineer cost? Is it wise to have several engineers managing a studio, or should that be a one person job? I there normally a set up that the studio has, then engineers bring in the extras they need? ..any practical advice would be very welcome from studio managers and the like..!!!

Cheers

Jeremy
Jeremy Conlon

http://www.leftofelephantsound.com.au

Left Of Elephant Sound - STUDIO - LOCATION - Freelance Engineer, Musician, Composer.
jeremyc

Re: Shared studio space workings

Postby gigpiglet » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:20 pm

hi jeremy
thats exactly what we do hear at gigpiglet
while i own and run the place, most (all) the work in the studio is other engineers... ie: they bring the client and pay me for the studio
its good and bad! (like most things in life)

in answer to some of your questions, and this is just the way i do it, not saying its right or wrong or the norm...

1- i charge a set fee to the engineer/ producer for the studio use. they can charge their client what they want (and itemise it or not - i dont care) they pay me though - im not chasing their bad debts for them
2 - i manage, take bookings, look after the gear and assistants - the other engineers come in as paying clients
3 - we have a standard set up as in - this is the gear/ patch/ what is where - that the place is always zeroed out to and presented as such
4 - that means that some things (like me recently selling my peach pre amps) arnt necessarily the way i would like them, or the "best" way - but rather the way that works for everyone and is easily repeatable.. one ongoing problem we have had with that is how to do a "default" headphone system.
5 - i present plenty of options and ways to patch in at various points, tie lines, alternate inputs etc (part of the beauty of a big console) so others can easily bring their bits in and patch them into the system at whatever point they want.

who does the washing up?
now there is a question!
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jeremyc » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi Gareth

Thanks so much for the insight!...the washing up hey?..i guess that includes the toilet and bathroom too....

So your role is the owner and manager right?..Do you take a set fee as the manager?..I am tossing up taking or offering that position to a studio, I have run a small home studio for a few years and had a great time, and have a business and marketing head having worked for a recording company as well...a big variety of work...
Can I ask about the set fee for the engineers and producers, is that per booking or do they pay an access fee for the week or month?
What do you think of an access fee for the month style of operation compared to set fee for booking?

Do you have an online booking system that the engineers can view to check availability?

Please don't feel obliged to answer all of my ramblings sir..

Thanks again for your time

Jeremy
Jeremy Conlon

Left Of Elephant Sound - STUDIO - LOCATION - Freelance Engineer, Musician, Composer.
jeremyc

Postby gigpiglet » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:03 am

you're right on with the bathroom and toilet too... ;-)

yes i am the owner and manager.
i dont take any "management commission" or anything.. there is no point as i would be charging myself!

we charge $1500 for a 5 day block (i.e. 300/ day) or $400 for a single day. thats just a dry hire of the room/ gear. no assistant (though some people like me to provide and i can at additional cost)

i think any kind of access for for the month and then people booking time as they wanted it would be destined to fail. a day is a day and a week is a week you know - book it when you need it (and if its available)

if you were managing a studio that someone else owns (which sounds like you might be?) i could imagine taking a fee (say 20% like with a band) of all the work that you bring in.

or i know another engineer that works in a studio that someone else owns, they go 50% each on that engineers work (i.e.: he gets a free studio and gear, but loses half his money to "the boss")

lots of different ways of doing thins, and i imagine that every space/ group of people will have a different set of needs and work a different way.
my building also works because it is a big space, with other income streams. eg: it is also the office for my record label and touring company, and has a large common area where we do fashion shoots and film clips and so on.

hope that helps mate
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jeremyc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:21 am

Hello Gareth

Yes, that really helps..great to get that insight and knowledge sir...i will tread carefully and make better a decision now for sure!

I agree that multiple income streams are really important for sure, this place has some extra space above it, but a bit noisy as well, but could definitely be utilised if i think hard...or maybe just storage for the moment...anyway the studio needs a big polish and clean..and advertising!...so the potential is there...

Thanks again, invaluable!

Will let u know what happens...

Cheers

Jeremy
Jeremy Conlon

jeremyc

Postby Drumstruck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:38 am

just a few bullets from experience:

- you can't report to 2 managers so clarify the escalation chain to the hirer
- create a charter (e.g. you break it / you buy it OR be cogniscent of accepting that risk yourself)
- create a bullet list of core studio configs and put it somewhere accessible but unobtrusive (e.g. aux mappings, logical cabling mappings etc)
- setup an SPL meter (full time)

and a hard one - friend/family and business do not mix

all imo of course and only worth the LCD it appears on :-)
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby gigpiglet » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 am

totally agree with all the above!
hadnt thought about the SPL meter - thats a great idea
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor