Q of neve 1073

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Q of neve 1073

Postby Wiz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:29 pm

anyone know what the Q factor of the EQ's in the 1073 (and 1081 while I am here) are?
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.ozlandmusic.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Q of neve 1073

Postby rick » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Medium wide but not wide enough

Oh you mean a modern q number ?

I got none idea

What's a modern number for medium wide but not
Wide enough ... ?
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
User avatar
rick
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3444
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 8:02 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Q of neve 1073

Postby Wiz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:33 pm

rick wrote:Medium wide but not wide enough

Oh you mean a modern q number ?

I got none idea

What's a modern number for medium wide but not
Wide enough ... ?



thanks for the reply Rick...

I get what you mean... and your point is well taken. I was just hoping, that you guys that grew up resting your cup of horlicks on those consoles, might know, I actually cant find it anywhere....

Was thinking thusly, I find myself, with using digital EQ, pulling up Q numbers that are nothing like the Q on console EQ's (the ones I can find spec sheets for, anyways).

I need to be more.. ahem... surgical.. to use the internet term I see bandied about, than a similar spec'd console EQ would appear to be.


of all the consoles, that are down in my cookie jar price range that is anyways....


part of my, shoulder hurts cant do anything, sojourn into wondering about stuff and annoying people that is my life atm.
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.ozlandmusic.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Q of neve 1073

Postby Chinagraf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:49 pm

For some reason I thought it was 1.2 but i could be thinking of something else.
User avatar
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:09 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Q of neve 1073

Postby Wiz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Chinagraf wrote:For some reason I thought it was 1.2 but i could be thinking of something else.


thanks


I will keep hunting, if I find it, will post for posterity...
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.ozlandmusic.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Q of neve 1073

Postby Chris H » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Here is a bit of info:
http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2006/dece ... tent7.html

and the mid band plot: click on the image and it will make more sence.
http://www.vintech-audio.com/new%20graphs.html

x73-vs-neve-midband-curves-.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
User avatar
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
 
Posts: 2296
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:20 am
Location: Off The Planet

Re: Q of neve 1073

Postby Wiz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Chris H wrote:Here is a bit of info:
http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2006/dece ... tent7.html

and the mid band plot: click on the image and it will make more sence.
http://www.vintech-audio.com/new%20graphs.html

x73-vs-neve-midband-curves-.gif



That's awesome Chris and just what I was chasing....



Take two on ya's out of petty cash. 8)
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.ozlandmusic.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Q of neve 1073

Postby rick » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:24 pm

Can't you use some q clone modeler or something
And run it over your actual eqs and get a exact eq simulation

Well no you can't .. But close enough for cheese wrapped in plastic

Over the years I have ran my neves and Apis
Through my audio precision test set same as that
Graph your looking at
And all I learnt was the published charts are
Very pretty compared to the real thing
Something incredabily simplified in those ap plots you seeing
They are not the real plots
But I digress ...

I think they had analog rounding errors in the art
Department of every drawn curve I have ever seen !

The eq on neve is radically overhyped on the Internet
It's handy but that's about the best word to use

I can think of a bunch of others not so nice ..
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
User avatar
rick
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3444
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 8:02 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Wiz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:50 pm

rick wrote:Can't you use some q clone modeler or something
And run it over your actual eqs and get a exact eq simulation

Well no you can't .. But close enough for cheese wrapped in plastic

Over the years I have ran my neves and Apis
Through my audio precision test set same as that
Graph your looking at
And all I learnt was the published charts are
Very pretty compared to the real thing
Something incredabily simplified in those ap plots you seeing
They are not the real plots
But I digress ...

I think they had analog rounding errors in the art
Department of every drawn curve I have ever seen !

The eq on neve is radically overhyped on the Internet
It's handy but that's about the best word to use

I can think of a bunch of others not so nice ..



I have used Q clone, and it did indeed do a fine passable job on my API 550B, especially when running through a DA -AD conversion as well, to simulate whats happening when I reamp through the hardware.. but then again so does the Waves API 550B. I am not a real fan of that API 550b EQ, i have tried to love it.. but perhaps me and it, arent suited.

My interested was peaked, as I said due to down time, and I was looking into console EQs etc, and was wondering about the coveted 1073 EQ (and seeing as though I have a 1073 preamp, no EQ here) was interested in recreating those curves, to see if I liked it enough, to hunt one down.... see there is some sort of logic here... 8)

to be frank, and I really like being frank, lots more fun than being peter... I think I am coming to the conclusion, that I like the Q adjustment that digital affords me, that I cant seem to locate in hardware...

I have noticed that all digital EQs for me (saturation not included) are relatively interchangeable and finding the Waves HE-Q in the last 6 months, has given me what I want out of the digital EQ side of things.

thanks everyone for chiming in..

shoulder is getting better, should stop annoying you all soon
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.ozlandmusic.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:17 pm


Return to You've gotta start somewhere.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


cron