Monitoring with ProAc 110

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Monitoring with ProAc 110

Postby Julian Nichols » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Quick detour into home studio territory...

I've just bought a pair of ProAc Studio 110's that are now making their way across the nullarbor to me in WA.

My main untreated 5 x 4 room doubles as my music listening room, lounge room, etc. I write electronic music in the small room next door using DT770 pros, then mix it in this larger room through monitors. Not ideal but I'm in this purely for enjoyment.

I'll be using the ProAcs as main monitors, powered by an Arcam A70 integrated amp and with a Sonken 15" Sub (used conservatively) to fill out the bottom end. If anyone has any experience with these speakers, anything I should be aware of frequency wise? People seem to be saying good things about the speakers in a studio context, but I'm always a little bit wary of something that wasn't purpose designed for the studio.
Julian Nichols, South West WA
Julian Nichols

Re: Monitoring with ProAc 110

Postby Sammas » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Julian Nichols wrote:Quick detour into home studio territory...

I've just bought a pair of ProAc Studio 110's that are now making their way across the nullarbor to me in WA.

My main untreated 5 x 4 room doubles as my music listening room, lounge room, etc. I write electronic music in the small room next door using DT770 pros, then mix it in this larger room through monitors. Not ideal but I'm in this purely for enjoyment.

I'll be using the ProAcs as main monitors, powered by an Arcam A70 integrated amp and with a Sonken 15" Sub (used conservatively) to fill out the bottom end. If anyone has any experience with these speakers, anything I should be aware of frequency wise? People seem to be saying good things about the speakers in a studio context, but I'm always a little bit wary of something that wasn't purpose designed for the studio.

My take on it?

Once you reach a certain price/quality point, creating highly accurate, flat frequency, low distortion speakers is the aim of the game for many speaker manufacturers, regardless of whether they are marketed to the audiophile bunch, or pro audio crowd.

Off the top of my head, take speakers like Duntech's, or B&W 802's. They are just as comfortable sitting in a living as they are in a control room. I have never heard ProAc's, but I wouldn't dismiss them just because they don't have "studio monitor" on the box or in their marketing.
Sammas

Postby peat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:21 pm

I've had ProAc Studio 100's in my room for about 2 years now, powered by Bryston 4B.

Most ProAc's are 'hi'fi' speakers, these one's are however from the 'studio' range.

I would recommend breaking them in as per the instructions you will find in the box.
In my opinion they have adequate low end, if you put a sub into your untreated 5x4 room, you will be getting a very skewed representation of the actual low end in your mixes.

The ProAc's are absolutely beautiful speakers imo. I would liken them to an NS-10 with out the mid push, and an extended range in both directions.
The first time I heard them I was blown away and had to have my own pair!
peat
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby wez » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm

I could be completely wrong but isn't ProAc the domestic cousin of ATC?

either way, i'm sure they'll be great.
wez prictor
composure music
http://www.composuremusic.com.au/

Australian importer of Crumar Mojo keyboards & accessories. Vintage keyboard fetishist.
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Just add a "Z" and you will be happy.....
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.