Possible PT shortcut?

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Possible PT shortcut?

Postby dave01.cooper » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:00 pm

I know a lot of them BUT. Is there a shortcut to cycle between active & non active groups?

For instance, if I have my Drum group selected but then want to change to my SNR group - is there a shortcut to unselect DRUMS & then select SNR groups rather than using the mouse? I know Shift + Command + G is inactivate all groups but wondering about group a,b,c etc.

I think it's got something to do with the AZ button which toggles the 2nd layer of shortcuts but I'm pretty sure if you do that then zoom, break etc are all gone...

It's not a major issue but more me being lazy and not wanting to reach for the mouse!

Cheers

P.s isn't editing out of time drums amazing fun :|
Dave Cooper

E - dave @ soundmachinestudios . com . au
W - soundmachinestudios.com.au
dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Possible PT shortcut?

Postby Chinagraf » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi Dave, you can in PT10, I've never used earlier versions. In the group window there is a group keyboard focus button in the top right (another of the "AZ" boxes. With it turned on you just hit the letter that corresponds to the group you want and it selects it.
I only started using PT about 6 month ago, as well as continuing on with Cubase, but I can't get over how fast you can time correct drums using beat detective and auto fading, pre-triggering etc. I never go 100% on the beat, but I play a lot of demo drum tracks and I suck, so it's great for making me sound like I have half a clue.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby dave01.cooper » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Hey Andy,

Yeah the AZ button is a weird one, think it's been doing similar functions to as you described since 7.4. I'm running PT 9.0.6 and can do a similar thing.

In the edit window there's an AZ button as well and as soon as you activate the AZ in the group window, the edit one disables which pretty much eliminates all your usual editing tools. I was wondering if there's a shortcut or option that enables you to be able to toggle between these 2 with a keystroke rather than clicking on the certain AZ button. If you get me?

Haven't used PT 10 but the beat detective tool just keeps getting better what people tell me. It's great in 9 and was in 8 + LE but in version 7 it did leave a lot to be desired IMHO. I love elastic audio to, I've had fantastic results with drums but any instruments that are more polyphonic just end up in a big phasey mess. Apparently this has improved out of sight in PT11.

I love protools (when it works) but would love to learn Reaper & Reaktor as much as what I know PT. Handy tools to have i guess!

thanks
Dave Cooper

E - dave @ soundmachinestudios . com . au
W - soundmachinestudios.com.au
dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:05 pm

I've read you can hold down command+option, then press 1, 2, or 3 on the qwerty numbers to switch between edit focus, regions focus, and groups focus, but I haven't tried it.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby audioio » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Chinagraf wrote:I've read you can hold down command+option, then press 1, 2, or 3 on the qwerty numbers to switch between edit focus, regions focus, and groups focus, but I haven't tried it.

...Then keys without modifiers do different things.

dave01.cooper wrote:as you activate the AZ in the group window, the edit one disables which pretty much eliminates all your usual editing tools

Nope. They just aren't under keyboard control any more!
David Rodger
audioio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.