mbox 3 as monitor controller

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

mbox 3 as monitor controller

Postby gigpiglet » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:35 pm

possibly a silly question, and i feel like i know what the answer is going to be.
BUT - does anyone (or does anyone know if you can) use an mbox 3 pro (which has separate AC power) as a monitor controller (i.e., the volume pot, analogue inputs and outputs, dim, mute, headphones etc) WITHOUT being connected to a computer?

this is another one of those square peg/ round hole/ certain gear available questions that i seem to come up against.. and it if works might just save a bunch of messing around.

thanks
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: mbox 3 as monitor controller

Postby audioio » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:32 pm

gigpiglet wrote:possibly a silly question, and i feel like i know what the answer is going to be.
BUT - does anyone (or does anyone know if you can) use an mbox 3 pro (which has separate AC power) as a monitor controller

Can't answer this directly, but the unit appears to lack a "mix" control. The older USB-connected Mboxes had it because lower latencies couldn't be achieved on USB so you could swing the mix control counter-clockwise and get the input routed to the output.

Of course, they have no dim control.
David Rodger
audioio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: mbox 3 as monitor controller

Postby dave01.cooper » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:49 pm

gareth - unfortunately like most avid/digi hardware, the unit doesn't actually 'come to life' unless it's physically connected to a computer. The firmware which is installed when you first connect the thing is what activates it for a better word... so using it as a hardware unit for passive monitoring etc ain't possible.

But if you chuck it in a laptop/computer then yeah you're fine to use it with most DAW software or itunes etc.

same thing with my mbox 2 (2007 model) too, it's a glorified paper weight unless it's connected to a usb port but that's because they had no external psu like the pros did

happy avid hunting ;)

cheers
Dave Cooper

E - dave @ soundmachinestudios . com . au
W - soundmachinestudios.com.au
dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.