a cheap tdm setup?

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

a cheap tdm setup?

Postby Simon B » Wed May 11, 2005 7:12 am

Would it be stupid to say that protools le, with a ua 2192 converter, and a uad-1 card could be a poor mans tdm system?

using the card and running the plugs from that, and then giving a 002 rack some decent converters would be a basic tdm system. I understand that it cant do alot of things a tdm can but essentially would be a very basic form of tdm?
Simon B
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby davemc » Wed May 11, 2005 11:04 am

not stupid.. I know a few people who soup up there LE systems with convertors. Although your stuck with 8 analog ins.
I know a few people who have just got a better 2 channel ADDA as all they every record is one or two sources ata time..
I wonder what sort of latency exists with the UAD card if any using RTAS.. Not something I have looked at.
You are still limited to 32 tracks as you know and LE has other features dumbed down as you know.

Work out the $'s it will cost. The UA card is not cheap.
Then see what HD systems are around s/h for a HD core and 192 only
Also maybe see what old Mixplus systems are going for now.. Although not really supported anymore a lot of stuff was and is still being made.
Always get a adat bridge and better convertors for the mix or a Apogee that works with it.
davemc

Postby Henry » Thu May 12, 2005 4:22 pm

Yes it all depends on how many tracks you need.

PTLE 001 has 18 simultaneous inputs and outputs actually. 8 analog and 8 digital and 2 spdif.

UAD1 cards go for about $350 USD now. Powercore cards are maybe better with lots of wizz bang companies porting there plugins to Powercore atm!

With a 8 channel preampwith digital outs you'll have a very powerful system.

If your going commercial and need more tracks TDM is the next cheapest.

002 are a complete waste of time and money and the ppl who bought them have more money then sense.
Henry

Return to The Turtlerock Forum