New FMR Compresser

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

New FMR Compresser

Postby Henry » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:23 pm

FMR RNLA REALLY NICE LEVELING AMPLIFIER

here's a blurb.

http://store.yahoo.com/humbucker/fmraurnleamm.html

I think its la2a type clone, and the price is amazing.
Henry

Re: New FMR Compresser

Postby Linear » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:43 pm

Henry wrote:FMR RNLA REALLY NICE LEVELING AMPLIFIER

here's a blurb.

http://store.yahoo.com/humbucker/fmraurnleamm.html

I think its la2a type clone, and the price is amazing.

LA2a type clone? Really? I'd love to know how they managed to fit the transformers, tubes, power supply and T4b into such a small 1/3 1U rack case.

Jesus, it's not an LA2a type clone. In fact, I'd guarantee that it's nothing like a LA2a, not even close. The reason? The laws of physics (ie they don't change, even if retarded fashions in the audio world do).

That's not to say it wouldn't be coloured, nor sound great.

Chris
Linear
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Mark Bassett » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:11 pm

I think I'm going to have to inculde blasphemy in the word censor.
Mark Bassett
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Henry » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:12 pm

I think they've tried to make something in that vein, with the same high standards as the RNC, with the same incredible value for money. Harvey Gerst seems to like it which got my interest, thats always a good sign.

Anyway, despite the Vintage Police moaning and whinging again, it's something worth investigating!
Henry

Re: New FMR Compresser

Postby Ausrock » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:56 am

[quote="Henry"] I think its la2a type clone, and the price is amazing.[/quote]

Here we go again.........Henry's thinking.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Henry » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:20 am

Don't blame me...the LA2A description is in the blurb . Besides, what would I know about these things?

[color=brown]1) The RNLA has a sonic signature similar to many compressors that we
Henry

Postby Mark Bassett » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:23 am

I smell like the Annandale, seriously.
Mark Bassett
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Henry » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:25 am

You mean, the Toilet part of the Annandale?
Henry

Postby Luke Garfield » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:59 pm

Or are you refering to "the Annandale (hotel's)" advertising slogan in drum ... :D
Luke Garfield

Postby Kris » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:57 pm

[quote="Henry"]Don't blame me...the LA2A description is in the blurb . Besides, what would I know about these things?

Even a fool is considered wise if he says nothing.
Kris

Postby Greg » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:18 pm

[quote="Henry"]

(DISCLAIMER: Please don
Greg

Postby chris p » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:47 pm

Like the RNC, I just wish they had balanced inputs - unless the preamp you're using has a TRS insert point, the absence of a balanced line in precludes the thing from being used non-desk (well - DAW) tracking.

Yeah, I know FMR have their blurb on why they haven't, and I'm sure it makes a lot of sense - its just I can't use it in my setup (without goiung the whole balanced / unbalanced converter thing).
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby hugo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:28 pm

Bob Katz reminds us that all but the best (and only some of that) equipment sporting balanced in/out will be unbalanced internally and have an output transformer to give us the balanced connections
hugo

Postby Henry » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:49 am

I've owned 3 Consoles, all unbalanced out. Forget the guff you read on most of those Yank Forums they're just full on time wasters and almost as obnoxious as the Vintage Police.
Henry

Postby rob » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:22 pm

balanced or unbalanced cabling between items of equipment has got diddly squat to do with an internally balanced signal path inside an individual piece of gear. Who knows what Bob was taking about or maybe there is a misinterpretation going on here.
Virtually every piece of electronic audio equipment has an "unbalanced" or non-symetrical internal signal path, in fact the only internally balanced or internally symetrical piece of gear that comes to mind is the Telefunken V72.
Interfacing unbalanced equipment with balanced equipment generally works just fine, so long as a few rules are followed. Saying that "the absence of a balanced line in precludes the thing from being used non-desk" doesn't make sense.
rob
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby mfdu » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:36 pm

[quote]Saying that "the absence of a balanced line in precludes the thing from being used non-desk" doesn't make sense.[/quote]

yeah. just make up some specific cables, and shits all flossy again.

a lot of 002 users are gonna get caught out by this. i've already been called in to help out a few artists without a clue.
is that a.w.a.c.? ha ha ha.
make up cables, defrag hdd's, generally make myself their first-point-of-call. cunning, what?

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby chris p » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:17 pm

I am willing to stand corrected, but balanced cable gives better RFI rejection, yes? So working in places with flouros everywhere and there is a diff between balanced and unbalanced?

As Rob says, what goes on inside the nice shielded boxdoesn't worry me at all. Its the cable runs (however short) that are the potential noise sources.

I'd love to learn that I'm wrong on this. I can certainly solder up the odd cable or two if there's no sonic value in staying balanced.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Linear » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:08 pm

Henry wrote:There are ppl who seem to have picked up that anal american forum thing where they feel compelled to critique the f>>> out of anything you write however trivial. Even a simple referal to a description has to be put through their stupid anal scrutiny!

I'm assuming you're putting me in that category of 'vintage police' or whatever.

whatever.

It's not a matter of policing, it's a matter of clarifying what most people in the audio world wish to believe - that you can replace good quality, professional equipment with cheap, mass-produced chinese garbage with no compromise in quality. It just doesn't happen, although I think Henry in audio fantasyland believes so.

That said, the RNLA is not chinese made, nor mass produced garbage. but it isn't an electro-optical levelling amplifier, no matter what you may be led to believe.

Henry wrote:I think its la2a type clone, and the price is amazing.

A clone is more or less an exact duplicate of the original. You said it was a "la2a type clone". Nowhere have I read that it is an LA2a clone, other than the fact that they make the point that it isn't.

Henry, you get criticised because most of the time what you write is misguided, and total and utter crap.

Chris
Linear
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Henry » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:47 pm

I did write "what would I know..." but you failed to read that also right?

I'm sure everyone here can see that there were no dogmatic assertions made about the product by me, because there are none.

I think...means I'm not sure etc.... I didn't say it was an LA2A! READ THE LINK FIRST. It's the underlined thing that takes you to a website that has info on it. There's a sentence below the link which says, "I think its an la2a type clone". That sentence is actually an editorial comment which finds its subject in the preceding LINK. If you havn't read the LINK, you won't make sense of the comment.

I'm sure the description in the blurb, if you bothered to read it (WHICH I REFERED FROM), explains that it is a Levelling Amplifier with a sonic signature in the "LA2A, LA3A" tradition etc. Followed by a disclaimer..

READ THE DISCLAIMER

There is nothing in the comment I wrote that needs clarifying! The mess is in your own head I'm afraid. Read the post in its context first.

Move on with your life please, don't get bogged down attempting to deconstruct trivial posts about a cheap little comp that might interest the small studio.

Take Marks polite advice and stop escalating this nonsense further! I will ok!
Henry

Postby Mark Bassett » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Again, you can send PM's to each other if you want to continue this, have a good weekend.
Mark Bassett
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to The Turtlerock Forum