Jupiter 6 arpeggiator clock

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Jupiter 6 arpeggiator clock

Postby harry » Tue May 27, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey,

has anyone here ever used the arpeggio clock in on theirs?

Nymo - i guess by looking at your synth photos - that Jupiter was like an keyboard that just got in the way..?

i'm guessing it needs CV? - i wish i could just route the kick drum sample to it....

in a fleeting moment of inspiration, i actually dusted it off and plugged a midi lead into it - it actually works???? it seems strange though - sequencing with an analogue synth - now i just gotta find a manual and figure out what kind of ebay purchase can convert midi clock into something this arpeggiator input can understand.....

these machines don't do a sharp attack do they? is that down to the software generated envelopes? and Nymo - is the Jupiter 8 different in that respect?
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby rachelp » Tue May 27, 2008 10:57 pm

The Jupiter 6 arpeggiator Clock Input is the type that takes 1 pulse = 1 step, so you can program it to be driven via a trig out on a drum machine or sampler.
Any positive gate pulse from about 5-10v will do.

But the Jupiter 6 even though it has MIDI doesn't actually run the arpeggiator by MIDI clock at all.

But if you have a Jupiter 6, why not spend $250 on it and get the Europa mod done, which takes an already good analogue synth up to a 21st Century one.

The Europa even lets you control any parameter over MIDI via CC's which is brilliant - program a filter sweep in Logic and sync the arp via MIDI clock and more.
In fact they've released Europa 2 now, which is a free update and expands the patch memory 4x and tuns the arpeggiator into a kind of step sequencer.
When you have europa, you get extra keyboard modes as well and true oscillator sync and so on. Everything is possible except for the mod panel with
the pitch bend and velocity from the keyboard (but it will now respond to velocity over MIDI). Europa is great.

But if you have an unmodified JP-6, just send a gate pulse out from your sequencer or drum box and trigger it that way. I do the same thing with the PolySix.
I love setting arpeggios up on all my synths and then just letting them all run together, it's a lot of fun if they all start swinging a bit.

rachel
rachelp

Postby rachelp » Tue May 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Jupiter 6 envelopes are software driven, but tests have prven them to be rather fast. If not, your VCA may be not up to scratch. Perhaps the JP needs
a service - recap and so on. Mine got a recap when the europa was installed, according to the guy I bought it from.

rachel
rachelp

Postby harry » Tue May 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks for replying Rachel,

seems there are a few Jupiter owners on this forum

is a Europa mod only $250? fitted?

was that done in Syndey? i'm in melbourne... but i get up that way every now and again...

don't suppose you could fill me in on the details?
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby rachelp » Wed May 28, 2008 1:03 am

harry wrote:Thanks for replying Rachel,

seems there are a few Jupiter owners on this forum

is a Europa mod only $250? fitted?

was that done in Syndey? i'm in melbourne... but i get up that way every now and again...

don't suppose you could fill me in on the details?

Ok, you have to fit it yourself or get an experienced tech to do it, such as Agent 13.

Mine was done by the 5G people in Japan, before I bought it. The guy who owned it before me ordered it from 5G
and they did the Europa there. But they are a bit slack and took about a year to send it to the guy in Brisbane who
by then had got another one I guess so I bought his. It has been pretty heavily gigged but works great.

Anyway go to this site where Europa lives:

http://www.synthcom.com/Europa/europaFaq.html

Anyway, those guys are great and if you order Europa from them, I am sure you can find someone to
install it. I once added an E! board to a DX7-II and it is much the same - unless your ROM chip is socketed in then
you will want a tech.

I think Europa is one of those rare things that makes something old totally new again and it is well worth doing.
LIke having a whole new synth, really.

rachel
rachelp

Postby harry » Wed May 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Hey sounds cool Rachel,

i looked through the instruction guide - it isn't particularly hard to desolder an IC but i think i will get a quote on getting the job done, and who knows i might just have a socketed CPU in there..

As for the envelopes - i want to get a sound with a fast attack and short sustain when arpeggiating - i find that it gets very clicky with not so much bass tone - i have heard that sub millisecond attack envelopes (hello minimoog) are the go for this - oberheim's must be right too - based on the amount of 80s' boogie vinyls i own with that kind of sound.

Thank you
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby rachelp » Wed May 28, 2008 10:56 pm

harry wrote:Hey sounds cool Rachel,

i looked through the instruction guide - it isn't particularly hard to desolder an IC but i think i will get a quote on getting the job done, and who knows i might just have a socketed CPU in there..

As for the envelopes - i want to get a sound with a fast attack and short sustain when arpeggiating - i find that it gets very clicky with not so much bass tone - i have heard that sub millisecond attack envelopes (hello minimoog) are the go for this - oberheim's must be right too - based on the amount of 80s' boogie vinyls i own with that kind of sound.

Thank you

(fnord)

http://roland-jupiter.org/viewtopic.php?t=59

rachel
rachelp

Postby NYMo » Thu May 29, 2008 10:54 am

Hi Harry,

(Without trying to come across as a synth snob...)

The Jupiter 6 and i never clicked...i was always a JP8 man....it was my first large poly.

Didn't know about the Europa mod in those days...i had had the Jp8 for 7 years before i got the 6 and a 4 etc (didn't like the see thru buttons..very flimsy !)

In all the gear I have had Roland has been the least represented (although I used to be their no1 synth sales guy in the 80's !)

To each their own ;-)

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby harry » Thu May 29, 2008 5:59 pm

hey Nymo,

i think i know what you're getting at..

and in a room full of synths like yours a JP6 would probably get in the way...

personally i think an oberheim 8 voice (seperate voice modules) would be my ultimate synth, after that maybe an ob8 / obxa.....

did you ever own an elka synthex by any chance? that might have been a really nice synth...

I'm finding some good stuff in my JP6 - i can understand why the techno heads like it...
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby NYMo » Sat May 31, 2008 12:11 pm

Hi Harry,

I have had my eye on a synthex up here for nearly 16 years !!
But I'll let you know when it comes up for sale ;-)

I've lost interest in collecting analog synths...i was doing that more than 20 years ago !

I have a synthesizers.com modular (like thirteens) instead of all the synths ..and thats lots of fun... running from an MC4b . A fairlight series 3 (well its a mfx 2 with a series 3 built in) and a few bitz and pieces.
Miss my old S1100 (had to take it to the tip last week!)....kids today ...they have it too easy!!
Load up a 200mb instrument and there's your drumkit...what about the hours we used to spend mapping drum kits and staring at tiny screens...aahhhh ..those were the days ;-)

Cheers
N
Y
M
O

www.myspace.com.redberryrecords
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby no-fi » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:55 pm

rachelp wrote:Mine was done by the 5G people in Japan, before I bought it. The guy who owned it before me ordered it from 5G
and they did the Europa there. But they are a bit slack and took about a year to send it to the guy in Brisbane who
by then had got another one I guess so I bought his. It has been pretty heavily gigged but works great.

Did you actually buy it from 5g? Or from the guy who ordered the mod?

I've been told 5G is very very hard (ie impossible!) to deal with from outside japan. But I'm kinda tempted to get something from them when my current finance situation recovers a bit...
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rachelp » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:18 pm

no-fi wrote:
rachelp wrote:Mine was done by the 5G people in Japan, before I bought it. The guy who owned it before me ordered it from 5G

Did you actually buy it from 5g? Or from the guy who ordered the mod?

I've been told 5G is very very hard (ie impossible!) to deal with from outside japan. But I'm kinda tempted to get something from them when my current finance situation recovers a bit...

I would never deal with 5G myself. They didn't even bother to answer my emails. The guy I bought it from miraculously somehow managed to
get it from them and 5G did the Europa mod over there. Like I said they were hopeless and didn't get back to him for about a year which
is how I ended up with it. He had bought another JP6 in the meantime and so this one was available and I got it shipped from Queensland.
I had Steve check it over for me when I got the mod panel switch repaired and he said it was alright, so I am happy with it!
I would forget 5G and go for something from someone who has a good reputation or a history - like on the AH list or similar.

rachel
rachelp

Postby no-fi » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:08 pm

rachelp wrote:I would never deal with 5G myself. They didn't even bother to answer my emails. The guy I bought it from miraculously somehow managed to
get it from them and 5G did the Europa mod over there. Like I said they were hopeless and didn't get back to him for about a year which
is how I ended up with it.

when I was over there 2 months ago, nobody in the shop spoke any english at all.... (well very very basic - "hello" was about it) I guess I'd not be so great at replying to emails sent to me in japanese, either....
:-)

maybe I could go somewhere else, but I am interested in a korg 770. (though theirs is broken, I would consider buying it broken as a fixer upper for the right price) Does anyone know of any of those for sale anywhere else at all?
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum