studio projects T3 mod

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

studio projects T3 mod

Postby mark rachelle » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:14 am

does anyone know who does the T3 mod whereby the noise of the mic is dramatically reduced?
mark rachelle

Postby Ausrock » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:15 am

Your T3 is noisy?

I haven't noticed any issues with mine to date but it wouldn't hurt to post this question here..................... http://www.pmiaudio.com/forums/index.php ........there's nothing like going right to the top when you need something. lol.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mark rachelle » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:17 pm

thanks ausrock

apparently the guy who does it is in melbourne so i've heard

they are a good mic but a little on the noisy side, its not too bad but under hi gain the do have a bit of noise, this mod apparently sorts that issue out?
mark rachelle

Postby Linear » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:40 pm

mark rachelle wrote:thanks ausrock

apparently the guy who does it is in melbourne so i've heard

they are a good mic but a little on the noisy side, its not too bad but under hi gain the do have a bit of noise, this mod apparently sorts that issue out?

Hi,

I'm not sure about the T3 mod, here's something I've done with some success for noisy condensor mics.

There is usually a pair large (high ohm) resistors soon after the capsule but before any gain stages. I've found that by lifting these off the PCB and soldering them directly to the legs of the transistors you can reduce noise significantly. I think the noise comes from the conductance paths on the PCB itself, and the amplification of the tiny signal present after the resistors.

Someone more cluey may want to present a better explanation, my observations are purely emprical.

Cheers

Chris

(actually, i just remembered the T3 is a tube mic. i've only done the above on transistor condensors, but anyway)
Linear
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum