Anyone looking for a wurli? (added some pics.)

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Anyone looking for a wurli? (added some pics.)

Postby Thirteen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:34 pm

I have a very clean Wurlitzer 200A electric piano sitting here, with legs, pedal and even the original music rest. It doesn't get used, so out it goes. I will re-cap it and check it over before it is sold, so if anyone's interested it would be $2200.00.

Last edited by Thirteen on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby lumbago » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:40 pm

Very interested.
lumbago

Postby Thirteen » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:59 pm

Well, it's sitting here in the workshop, if you are interested I will put it on the bench and check it over and re-cap it. Drop me a PM with your details if you like.
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rachelp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:25 am

While we're here with vintage pianos, does anyone know what a Rhodes Piano Bass may fetch?
I think they are quite rare in Australia. I got it sent from the US, which cost me a bit, from a band
called "Tortoise". It only has one sound, but it's a good one.

I am starting to think I should probably unload it as I do not have room for it and it is a shame for it not be used.
(sorry to steal your thread, Steve ;)

rachel
rachelp

Postby Thirteen » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:40 am

rachelp wrote:While we're here with vintage pianos, does anyone know what a Rhodes Piano Bass may fetch?
I think they are quite rare in Australia. I got it sent from the US, which cost me a bit, from a band

I am starting to think I should probably unload it as I do not have room for it and it is a shame for it not be used.

rachel

Those things are pretty sought after, but I have no idea what they may be worth. Is yours in nice nick?
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby TimS » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:26 am

You all should start a Vintage Keyboard & Synth Hire business - you have some awesome stuff between all of you!!
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rachelp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:52 am

Thirteen wrote:
rachelp wrote:While we're here with vintage pianos, does anyone know what a Rhodes Piano Bass may fetch?

rachel

Those things are pretty sought after, but I have no idea what they may be worth. Is yours in nice nick?

It's a black one. The Tolex is in good shape ie not gigged. The fibreglass top is very nice too.
It is missing the tripod however. I tried to get one but couldn't find the right thing. Internally all the tines
are nice and rust free and the electronics are fine. Very clean under the hood.
I bought it to do practice on, to strengthen my fingers but it just never turned out like that.
I was thinking it would be ideal for a Doors cover band or if Ray Manzarek ever comes out here again, he might want it - wishfully thinking!

Either way, I think it is time to pass it on to someone who might get more out of it than me....

rachel
rachelp

Postby Ausrock » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:32 pm

What on Earth is a Rhodes Piano BASS?
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Futureman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:38 pm

Ausrock wrote:What on Earth is a Rhodes Piano BASS?

Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rachelp » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:55 pm

As for the sound, it doesn't sound like a Rhodes piano in the lower register as you might expect.
It's specially setup to be pretty much more of a bass sound, much like a bass guitar. The best example of the
sound is to listen to early Doors, because they replaced the piano bass on live stage
with a guitarist later on. If you stick it through some EQ, or one of those amp sims you
can get a wide variety of sounds that you wouldn't expect from such a basic
instrument. It's fun to play too - if you can learn to pedal with your left hand,
you can really get it to sound great when you play riffs.

rachel
rachelp

Postby Ausrock » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:59 pm

Ahha......now I kind of understand.

BTW Rachel, did you get my comment at the PMI forum about your ATB?

ChrisO
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rachelp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:01 am

Ausrock wrote:Ahha......now I kind of understand.

BTW Rachel, did you get my comment at the PMI forum about your ATB?

ChrisO

Yep -thanks! I have to dig up Alan's email as I can't find it yet!

Cheers....
rachelp

Postby wez » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:01 pm

rachel... there was one of these in the swop shop in melbourne a while ago. i'm pretty sure it had $1700-odd on it. i think it sold pretty quick (but of course the price may've been haggled down).

seems a lot of money for such a one trick pony, but i must say it is a very cool thing and sounds great!

cheers, wez
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rachelp » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:51 pm

wez wrote:rachel... there was one of these in the swop shop in melbourne a while ago. i'm pretty sure it had $1700-odd on it. i think it sold pretty quick (but of course the price may've been haggled down).

seems a lot of money for such a one trick pony, but i must say it is a very cool thing and sounds great!

cheers, wez

Well, mine is now on the market! It does owe me some money, because the cost of shipping was a tax hit.
I would like to see a little more money, but I'm negotiable. I decided to get a Genoqs Octopus instead
of a new computer, because I may never get the chance again. So I am putting a few bits I have
in storage up for sale to help along. Team the Piano Bass up with Steve's Wurli and you can be a retro-sensation!

BTW - someone told me the swop shop one was a spangly case. Mine is Basic Black. The interest in
it is that it was apparently owned by John McEntire from Tortoise, but I don't have much stock in provenance
and it doesn't make it any moe/less special (unless you like Tortoise).

rachel
rachelp

Return to Vintage Synth Forum