An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

wow

Postby michael » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:39 am

michael

Postby Jason Dirckze » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:16 pm

HA!

For $250k (US!!!!!)

I would buy myself a small house near a lake, and still have change for an awesome home studio.....
Jason Dirckze

Postby Chinagraf » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Can I just add to that - hahahaaaaaaaaahahaha you must be #$*@($ kidding. A classic example of what ebay has done to people's brains. There's a reason there's not many around. Could it be because they sound #&$house?
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby michael » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:46 pm

[quote="Chinagraf"]Can I just add to that - hahahaaaaaaaaahahaha you must be #$*@($ kidding. A classic example of what ebay has done to people's brains. There's a reason there's not many around. Could it be because they sound #&$house?[/quote]

actually they are meant to be the business. There was a cool article I read online just a few weeks ago about a guy dreaming of owning the GX1 'holy grail' for decades because ABBA had one and some other bloke in some 70's prog band played one and wore a cape or somesuch....

Anyway it was a cool article - the guy found one in eerily familar circumstances to those claimed in this auction (ie. yamaha sent it to oz as a test unit, it got lost in the system and ended up in someones house as a family organ) (weird coincidence?) He was from the uk and paid crazy money to get it shipped.

so yeah... nothing that some 70's prog guy in a cape played is worth $200K US but nevertheless GX1 is meant to be an amazing thing.
michael

Postby chris p » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:40 pm

I've met Rick Wakeman (he's the tallest prog rock player I know), and he's played lots of synths over lots of years - it don't make them worth US$250k, and he'd be the first to tell you its NOT the gear, sunshine. He could play a Casiotone and make it sound great.

Give me a Prophet 5, a Roland MKS80, crikey even a Korg Polysix and I'd be happier (and less challenged for floorspace). That thing is priced for an hype-gullible collector with too much money and not enough brains. What's Bill Gates' phone number again?
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mark rachelle » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:29 pm

i remember seeing a dual keyboard synth years ago at music junction in camberwell (vic)

i always thought it was an fm synth?
did yamaha make a dual keyboard fm synth?

the gx1 seems to be analog

pretty funky design

selling from south australia

common mick fess up!

since when are synths worth more than a house
a car sometimes but a house! (albeit a cheap house)
mark rachelle

Postby Martinez » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:53 pm

Is that right?

250g's for a freak'n keyboard?

get out of here.

whats it made out of, gold?

I'm with 24/96 on this one.
Martinez

Postby wez » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:57 am

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb00/a ... ahagx1.htm

i've always loved this article. the bit about how he got it into his house is great, reminds me of the Calrec.

i thought these things were valued in the $50-100k ballpark. but there were only about 10 made, and this one (if it's legit!) seems to be as good as they come.

if you were going to do an ebay scam, i don't think you'd be trying it on with a $300,000 item. but who knows.

btw, as an ex-synth player, i've always wanted one.... THOSE SPEAKERS!!!
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rob » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:33 pm

speaking of ebay weirdness

check out:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Neumann-U47-fully-restored_W0QQitemZ7355501656QQcategoryZ64449QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7355502288&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:AU:1

then go to my website and check out the photos and text and the bottom of the page.
I re-furbished these mics for a chap in Melbourne, as far as i know they are still there!

want to buy a U47 on ebay??

Rob
Last edited by rob on Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rob » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:35 pm

rob
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Linear » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:32 pm

rob wrote:speaking of ebay weirdness

check out:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Neumann-U47-fully-restored_W0QQitemZ7355501656QQcategoryZ64449QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7355502288&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:AU:1

then go to my website and check out the photos and text and the bottom of the page.
I re-furbished these mics for a chap in Melbourne, as far as i know they are still there!

want to buy a U47 on ebay??

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'd report that to eBay fraud. if he's stolen photos of your website, then it's an obvious misrepresentation - they've even stole your text!?! Who knows, you may save some poor b@stard the $3,000+ that he/she might handover.

I've had a photo stolen before to represent something on eBay, they do follow it up and remove it.

Chris
Linear
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Jason Dirckze » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:33 pm

For GX1 madness...see the Movie Blade Runner. I think Vangelis did use this (and NOT DX7 as speculated) and also the Yamaha CS80

It is indeed a great, vintage synth, but Soooo....not worth 250k!

(Sorry, the synth geek in me is coming out...)
Jason Dirckze

Postby Henry » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:40 pm

I got that on my $10 soundfont library for my 16 bit soudblaster live card!
Henry

Postby Kris » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:17 pm

I saw that U47. Now that I now it's a fake that would explain why he hasn't answered my email requesting a brief history of the mic.

Definitely report that to ebay. There was a guy a while ago who tried the same thing with a $70k neve console. You wonder what these guys are thinking .
Kris

GX1

Postby headman » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:28 am

Ah,
i remember the days (in another life) when i was the keeper of a gx1 for nearly two years.
yamaha australia had one at their sydney office and i asked if i could have it, as no one wanted it at the time.

they eventually asked for it back for a concert at the opera house, but i used it for recording jingles and occasionally played it live. it weighed about half a ton (literally) but sounded fantastic. nearly killed the band members lugging it around.

i believe it went to st joseph's colege, hunter hill for virtually nothing and i have no idea where it went. i think $200,000 US is a bit over the odds. keith emerson sold his for nothing like that, and john paul jones gave k.e. his for nothing to use as a spare.
headman

Postby Simon B » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:41 pm

while on the subject of wow, I just used my brauner for the first time in a proper session........! it is WOW!!!!!!!!! I used it through an amek CIB on a female singer.......

It not a u47, but it is still wow

sorry to hijack the thread just wasnt expecting it to be that good.
Simon B
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Martinez » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:40 pm

It's ok Simon,

we understand :)
Martinez

Return to The Turtlerock Forum