JD800 tech info?

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

JD800 tech info?

Postby no-fi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:20 pm

so - has anyone here got a JD-800 service manual they could take a quick look at for me?

I have a JD800 with absolutely no output from FX block B - ie, it makes sound (minus the chorus, delay and reverb from FX block B) as long as you have some dry mix for FX block B, but is totally silent at 100% wet....

Basically, I'd like some quick info on the analogue audio path from wherever the synth DSP ends, up to where the wet/dry mix for fx block B happens... plus info on the supply voltage and the ceramic resonator the fx block B DSP uses... because if it's anything more than a problem with the analogue path or a simple no-go on the FX block B DSP I'll be needing to go and get the whole manual anyway.

thanks!
:-)
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:39 pm

I don't have one, but Roland Australia would have them for sale.
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby no-fi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:54 pm

yeah, they have usually been really good with service manuals, and were great when this JD800 had it's melting glue keyboard problem.

thing is, I have a friend wanting to buy this keyboard off me, and I was hoping to just get some basic info on the section I'm having problems with, and avoid a few days wait for postage.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Have you tried backing it up and doing a factory reset?

(Press "DATA" TRANSFER, scroll to "FACTORY RESET", press "YES".
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby no-fi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:13 pm

wow - I really wasn't expecting something like that to help a problem like this.... but I did it, and it came good again.
A whole functional module on the synth, repeatedly and consistently dead, fixed with a memory clear....

thankyou!!
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:20 pm

I scare myself with my brilliance sometimes.
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby TimS » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:59 am

Thirteen wrote:I scare myself with my brilliance sometimes.

;-}
yeah, its frightening sometimes I know...
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby NYMo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Hi there,

Yeah...as thirteen says...first rule of digital synths...hit the factory reset !

cheers
N
Y
M
O
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby electrofetish » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:16 pm

Thirteen wrote:I scare myself with my brilliance sometimes.

Ha ha ha
Yes Steve you are like the "Synth Whisperer"
Could make a great film !

I do like how mine goes through all of the leds and slidersin testt mode
It really is the last good synth Roland made
It did have a bunch of issues back in the day

If you can get the voice/memory cards they are worth while

Have had some aftertouch issues with mine
I have not opened it up yet, I do have a brand new keyboard mech in box in the cupboard

Might install it soon
electrofetish

Postby no-fi » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:58 pm

NYMo wrote:Hi there,

Yeah...as thirteen says...first rule of digital synths...hit the factory reset !

heh.. I just don't own many digital synths.... especially not as complex as this. I've never had to do a factory reset before (though have had to re-organise the patch memory in a microwave XTk once, I think....)
Last edited by no-fi on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby no-fi » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:03 pm

electrofetish wrote:Might install it soon

doooo eeeeeet!! better than letting it sit around. And the replacement keyboard assembly has a minty fresh aftertouch in it. So the aftertouch in my JD800 is great. if only it wasn't so bloody huge (and had a proper mod wheel.. I never got into roland mod sticks) it'd be an awesome master controller...

to get into your JD800 you have to remove 3 screws along either side of the bottom of the keyboard, 2 screws from the middle of the bottom of the keyboard (distinguished from the other 300 screws by the plain metal you can see them screwed into through the hole they go through) and about 6 or so along the hinge at the back..... and then it just opens up like a giant clam.... A giant clam full of wires and circuit boards.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby electrofetish » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:11 pm

no-fi wrote:
electrofetish wrote:Might install it soon

doooo eeeeeet!! better than letting it sit around. And the replacement keyboard assembly has a minty fresh aftertouch in it. So the aftertouch in my JD800 is great. if only it wasn't so bloody huge (and had a proper mod wheel.. I never got into roland mod sticks) it'd be an awesome master controller...

to get into your JD800 you have to remove 3 screws along either side of the bottom of the keyboard, 2 screws from the middle of the bottom of the keyboard (distinguished from the other 300 screws by the plain metal you can see them screwed into through the hole they go through) and about 6 or so along the hinge at the back..... and then it just opens up like a giant clam.... A giant clam full of wires and circuit boards.

thanks j
i should do it soon
i did read that the aftertouch is a little connecter that is prone to popping off
it might be that easy

i don't have any other rreason to change it
i was only playing it on sunday, at the moment its being controlled from other things
electrofetish

Postby NYMo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi there,

Just wanted to say that I was one of a few people who sat at Roland in Japan in 1988 and
requested Taro and the engineers to make a synth like this... I told them to make another Jupiter 8 (!)
but they came out with the JD 800 instead !

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum