Chinese Mics

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Chinese Mics

Postby chris p » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:22 pm

Love em', hate 'em, I'm after tips of what definately to consider and what to definately to leave in the garbage. The good, bad and the ugly, please.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Henry » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:55 pm

I've looked at this for a long time now too.

The general opinion around is that the Studio Projects C1, T3 and SE Electronics LDC's are all excellent mic's. Yes, there are others but these two brands have something special.

For SDC the MXL 603 is probably the best. Very much like the Oktava 012 but a tad brighter.

I would only buy a Chinese mic if your sure your going to use it because they are not worth anything reselling. I don't buy into that, "if you need another colour" line. PPL always end up ditching them on Ebay(like me!). I'm going to buy the T3 and the SE 2200a because they are both excellent mics and have some WOW factor on a variety of sources.
Henry

Postby davemc » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:32 pm

I have a little Studio Project B1.
I have had a few mates buy them.
They do not have the same crap hyped top end as a few LDC cheap mics.
Although still 2D and smaller depth compared to nice mics.
Although under $200.. For a few people on there own voices beat other mics around $1k or so.
davemc

Postby Peter Knight » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:08 pm

Has anybody had a crack at that SP stereo mic that came out a while ago?
Peter Knight

Postby harmony head » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:12 pm

[quote="Peter Knight"]Has anybody had a crack at that SP stereo mic that came out a while ago?[/quote]

We have one permanently perched over the drum kit. They're great.. very versatile and very honest. We use it to capture the sound of the drum kit, rather than just the cymbals, and it never needs eq.. just sounds very good and honest. There's been a fair few times we've just used that and a mic outside the kick and the kit has sounded lovely. And it makes getting the phase organised a piece of cake.

We've also used it on a small choir, and a small orchestra, with equally impressive results. Being able to move the heads independently of each other is wonderful for spreading out of focussing your stereo image. Probably our most succesful application was in recording 2 backing vocalists. We had them facing each other but with their own mic head. It made them comfortable because they were singing together, and gave us enough control by recording them onto seperate tracks. Very impressive.

Haven't investigated the whole m/s part of it yet, but it seems ideal for this sort of thing.

Can't recommend it highly enough..

HH
harmony head

Postby alanhyatt » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:53 am

Hey guys,

I saw your group and hope that my being here is cool with you all. I am happy to hang about and answer any questions you have about any technical issues, applications or other questions on my products, or others. As always, my opinions are just that...mine, so take any comments I may make with that in mind.

By the way, I appreciate the support we are getting from you guys, so thank you for that. With that in mind, let me add this. All of our products are designed by Brent Casey in the USA. We send our files and prototype's to China for assembly. There are many companies who use off the shelf models picked out from catalogs in China. For example, Apex Microphones, Cascade Microphones, and I will stop there as there are so many of them are picked out of catalogs from AVL, Sound King, Fielo, or other factories. They do not design any of their microphones. They simply put a brand on them. This does not make them bad or good. To me, any mic that works for the application is a good mic, no matter how much or little it costs, or what brand name is on it.

I say this so you all know about Chinese mikes. We do all of our designs, as we do for Joemeek, and Toft Audio, but we assemble in China. I like to think that our skills, knowledge and passion for our products offer better designs and better sound than off the shelf microphones, but sound is subjective and we all hear differently.

Anyway, good to be here. I hope I can contribute to this forum in a productive manner.....
alanhyatt

Postby Ausrock » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:37 am

Gawd, look who the cat dragged in.....................lmfao.

You want to watch yourself Alan, you're on Aussie turf now but it's good to see you here.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Martinez » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:25 pm

Ausrock.

excuse my ingorence, but

imfao?
Martinez

Postby Chris H » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:44 pm

Martinez wrote:Ausrock.

excuse my ingorence, but

imfao?

Checked out a few sites before i found an Aussie site dedicated to internet acronyms .

IMFO = In my f*****g arogant opinion.
Here is the link:
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/acronyms.htm

Must have nothing better to do ? Just giving my ears a rest. Its gunna be a long day.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Jason Dirckze » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:56 pm

Chris H wrote:IMFO = In my f*****g arogant opinion.
Here is the link:
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/acronyms.htm

Must have nothing better to do ? Just giving my ears a rest. Its gunna be a long day.

I thought he wrote LMFAO which would actually be:

"Laughing my f****** ass off"

Anyways....whatever
Jason Dirckze

Postby JustinS » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:21 pm

Hey Alan,

Great to see you here... Good to here information "from the horses mouth" so to speak!

Are there any more updates on the Stephen Paul Microphones yet... I'm really curious to here one when they make it to market...

Justin.
JustinS

Postby Ausrock » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:49 pm

24/96,

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Jason Dirckze » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:52 pm

Ausrock wrote:24/96,

No probs mate!
Jason Dirckze

Postby Martinez » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:43 pm

thanks for filling me in Chris.
Martinez

Postby Chris H » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:10 pm

Ausrock wrote:24/96,

Sorry for the mistaken acronym
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby alanhyatt » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:08 pm

JustinS wrote:Hey Alan,

Great to see you here... Good to here information "from the horses mouth" so to speak!

Are there any more updates on the Stephen Paul Microphones yet... I'm really curious to here one when they make it to market...

Justin.

Justin,

Nothing yet. Still waiting on specialty component parts. We have a meeting in two weeks which I hope will get me some light as to when we may be ready to move forward again. Tony Merrill is in the final testing of some special composite material that Stephen requested to be used. Took two years to get the stuff made! So, maybe this will move us forward if the test results are positive....
alanhyatt

Return to The Turtlerock Forum