I want a mac

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

I want a mac

Postby Luke Garfield » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:05 pm

Hey,

I want to jump into the mac pool in my pursuit after Logic as my prefered audio software.

What will I need to run Logic 7 comfortably?

Cheers,

Luke.

P.S. will be hanging a presonus firepod off it for the moment.
Luke Garfield

Postby PeterR » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:22 pm

whats happening with the intel macs and logic?

It'd be a shame to buy a new G5 and find that in 12 months apple drop support of Logic using the powermac coding and only develop Logic in the x86 intel coding.
PeterR

Postby Kris » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:06 pm

I run Logic 7 on a dual 1gig G4 mac with 512mb of ram. Yes, I know I need more. It runs more than fine. Only starts to slow down when I have multiple software synths/samplers open but the Freeze function takes care of that. I run it with a MOTU 818mk2.

IMHO Logic kicks Pro Tools squarely in the gonads.
Kris

Re: I want a mac

Postby Jason Dirckze » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:09 pm

[quote="Luke Garfield"What will I need to run Logic 7 comfortably? [/quote]
Just get the best machine you can afford....

Im sure you know the deal....the better the machine, the better the performance etc

Im on a single 1.6 gHz w/ 2 Gig RAM. It is starting to get slow when running 24 tracks with lotsa processing
Jason Dirckze

Postby Luke Garfield » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:50 pm

I'm currently looking at a dual G4 1 gig machine with 512 - similar to Kris' i'm not a huge soft synth user atm but plan to use them more for post prod projects.

I'm also looking at a 21" LCD as well rather than going for a dual screen setup. Any thoughts, anyone doing that?
Last edited by Luke Garfield on Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Garfield

Postby Kris » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:03 pm

get 2 screens if you can. I hate having to switch between arrange and mix windows. Even worse if I have a plug in(s) open. Definitely worth the extra $$$.
Kris

Postby Jason Dirckze » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:15 pm

And definately upgrade the RAM...

I would go with 2 screens aswell.....those Apple 21" screens are so damn expensive!
Jason Dirckze

Postby wez » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:47 pm

2 screens = heaps more real estate for much less moola...

so get 2 x 21" screens ;-)
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby JulienG » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:36 am

Gah, here I am with just an Old B&W G3 that I picked up today that'll be running 16 track's of Digi I/O (Once the other 8 tracks arrive from the US), probably running good old Logic 4 (under OS 9).

In my mind if I'm doing just audio I go pro tools, as soon as midi or software instruments come in I run straight back to the safety of logic.

Seriously, if you want something new and you don't need a PCI soundcard the Mac Mini should be fine for most uses, then perhaps one of the new iMac's if you think you need a G5.

Intel mac's aren't coming till mid-2006, or the start of next year at the earliest, and they'll be ibook's and mini's not powermac's.

As for monitors, if you have the space keep an eye out for people getting rid of good 21" Trinitrons (Sony, Sun or SGI branded), they are excellent monitors and a pair of them (I have a pair of 21" SGI's) beats ANY LCD setup I've ever seen (even if the apple 30" is very lustworthy).
JulienG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Sheer Noise » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:29 am

I'm running Logic Pro 7 on a 20" iMac G5 1.8G with 1G-Ram. It runs really sweetly. Once I've saved up enough for the Intel Powermacs, I'll be getting one of those, but for now, the iMac will suffice.

Dave.
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kris » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:31 am

Love those SGI's. Our 3D dept had some a while back. You can pick them up for a good price these days.
Kris

Postby chris p » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:45 pm

Luke

Welcome to the Mac pool!

Some comments on the above posts ....

(1) Two screens worth of real estate is indeed wonderful BUT iBooks and iMacs cannot do it - while they have video outs, they only allow mirroring of the main display. To get full screen territory you need a Powerbook or PowerMac. This might be out of date, but double double check it and don' t assume that video out = dual screen capable.

(2) The Firepod should work seamlessly. Installing the driver usually won't even need a reboot!

(3) Re the move to Intel: yes, it is happening from next year, starting with the PowerMac range. However, all softwork (Logic included) will be running in emulation - Apple have a fancy codename for the emulation software, and it will run Logic, you can bet, but software running via emulation is slower than native. The speed hit from the Intel processor may be taken away by the emulation until native software is developed. I personally am not planning to hold off on buying new Macs for this reason alone.

(4) While Logic will run in emulation, each plugin may need a new upgrade to do so, although AU's should be fine is they follow the standard. No so sure about wrapped VSTs. A reason to buy a current model ahead of the change, perhaps?

(5) Douglas Adams (HHGTTG fame) once said "Don't ask what kind of computer a person has.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Sheer Noise » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:55 pm

The new iMac G5's (released yesterday) allow dual monitors, although, Apple+~ to jump between arrange and mix window isn't really that much of a drag on a 20" iMac. I used to have two 17" monitors running Logic back in the PC days, but the single 20" has been great.

Oh, and I too have a 550Mhz Powerbook running Logic 6, and it still goes great!

Dave.
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Henry » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:21 pm

Mac is for iPod right?
Henry

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:41 pm

[quote="JulienG"]

As for monitors, if you have the space keep an eye out for people getting rid of good 21" Trinitrons (Sony, Sun or SGI branded), they are excellent monitors and a pair of them (I have a pair of 21" SGI's) beats ANY LCD setup I've ever seen (even if the apple 30" is very lustworthy).[/quote]'

precisely the kind of monitors i have two of that i haven't been able to GIVE away!!!
Martin
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby JulienG » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:17 pm

Martin wrote:precisely the kind of monitors i have two of that i haven't been able to GIVE away!!!

Yes, but you're in sydney and I'm out of desk space :)

The G3 is refusing to boot Tiger (It installs it fine...). Anybody got an old G4 they want to get rid of?
JulienG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum