FX for synths...

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

FX for synths...

Postby Thirteen » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:21 pm

I have had a Lexicon Prime Time sitting on the junk shelf for 12 years or so, never bothered to fix it for some reason. A customer sent one in last month, so I decided that if I am going to fix one, I may as well do both, and when it was done I patched it in to my mixer and played an Odyssey and my modular through it, and it is now my favorite delay of all time. (I do really like the delays on the Sony DRE-2000 as well, but I have given up on finding schematics for it, so it has taken the place of the Prime Time on the junk shelf). I have yet to find a phaser that I really like since I foolishly sold my Bi-Phase, so I am curious as to what other synth players favorite FX chains are... Single slap delays like Floyd? Wurli through Envelope filter? Any good pedals out there that anyone has found?
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rachelp » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:26 am

That Roland SBF-325 flanger you fixed for me sounds brilliant.
I can get those little sparkles in the sound, without the flanger sounding like
a flanger. Then the chorus is very nice too. The input is a bit
hot and the output is a bit low, but it seems to work like that.

rachel
rachelp

Postby NYMo » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:07 am

Hi 13,

Feel like doing another Prime Time ??

Mine needs some of your love...PM with approx costs please !

Cheers

N
Y
M
O
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: FX for synths...

Postby Futureman » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:43 am

Thirteen wrote:I have had a Lexicon Prime Time sitting on the junk shelf for 12 years or so, never bothered to fix it for some reason. A customer sent one in last month, so I decided that if I am going to fix one, I may as well do both, and when it was done I patched it in to my mixer and played an Odyssey and my modular through it, and it is now my favorite delay of all time....

YEA! Primetimes rock... almost as much as a PCM41 and PCM42..

Depending on what sort of tone you are looking for..

I love love love my VestaKaza delay.. what delay out there has a CV & GATE in? it's a grainy little unit, but it is lots of fun.. oh, and it's 1v/octave!

I also love love love my DL4 (When Steve fixes it for me wink wink)

The tape space echo is sure a lovely machine.. mines the SRE-555 and it weighs a tonne.. Analogue synths with analogue delay, it's hard to get more 70's sounding than that.

MoogerFooger Phaser - That rocks.. I want one.

It's funny that you (Rachel) mentioned the Roland SBF Flanger/Chorus.. I was thinking about selling mine, don't use it anymore.. not sure. Anything that takes up 2RU to flange means business. The CV in is special, and the tuned interval for one of the flange modes is pretty special..
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby no-fi » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:11 am

I really like some of the boss half rack gear.

It seems to be a step up from the pedals, which never have enough frequency range, cause they're made for guitar... and they have so much more electronics in them than a pedal. they seem a lot less noisy, and harder to overload, too.

RPH-10 is the phaser, RBF-10 is the flanger. RBF-10 is the first flanger I ever owned that I liked the sound of... they're both analogue (I don't recommend the chorus though - it's really not the same league as the phaser and flanger)

you can get them for $50-ish off ebay if you wait. Nobody seems to know about them... I have 2 of each, they have a modular LFO section, so you can patch them together to get stereo phaser or flanger effects with out of phase modulation. very nice.

Ed has the parametric EQ too, and it works really well with the phaser.

speaking of boss half rack gear, if anyone has the pitch shift delay(RPS-10) or(and?!!!) the sampling delay (RSD-10), and wants to sell.... talk to me. I've been looking for ages, and just can't find them in Australia.
My name is Julian Higginson and I approve of this message.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby TimS » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:19 am

I've still got the RBF-10 in my studio rack - I had the whole Boss half rack series (Delay, Para EQ, Pitch Shift, Chorus) back in the late 80's as my first guitar "mini rack"..
My dad made me an aluminium rack case to carry them all - looked like a shiny lunchbox..
Good units and has an extra 9V DC outlet which is handy for sending power on to another device..
Great little flanger for the price..
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rachelp » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:56 am

I got incredibly lucky on ebay earlier this year. I got the RBF-10 flanger, RPH-10 phaser and the RCL-10 compressor
for $120. I was the only bidder and won the three of them in one hit. Then I got the REQ-10 EQ for about $40
and the power supply for another $50 a couple of weeks after. The PS even has 3 or 4 of the special
connector leads, but I need more. I am also looking for the pitch shifter, sampler delay and so on.

And if anyone has the rack they used to sit it, that is hard to get as well! The phaser and flanger
use the same analogue chips as classic Roland gear. I also have a circuit diagram I stashed
away, that lets you use the modulation bus to drive the LFO's from a CV source ;)

rachel
rachelp

Postby TimS » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:21 am

Rach,
I do have the rack they sit in, but it houses my RBF-10.. sorry :-(
They were great units, compact and sounded good..
I forgot about the compressor - I had one of those too..
I sold the EQ and the Comp to my old bass player in my uni band when I started moving to 19" rack gear..
I have a few of the power supply leads left also (DC barrel connector on each end if you need some)
T..
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rachelp » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:59 am

If you feel you can part with the connectors, I am interested!
I'm happy to pay what you think they are worth.

Is the rack metal or plastic? I have heard these actually
go for stupid prices that collectors pay. At the moment
I just use the units stacked on my System 100.

I am getting some shelves put in above it to hold
all this sort of gear. Ikea make some metal shoe
racks that actually work perfectly on shelves as
gear holders. They slope exactly just the right
way forward and are long enough to hold
something like an 808 or whatever safely.
Sounds mad, but some Ikea stuff actually
works with music gear! I have a couple
of $20 bedside tables they make that
are perfectly sized to fit a space echo
or if you have some rack rails handy, it's perfectly
matched to be a 19" timber unit able to hold 7RU!

rachel
rachelp

Postby TimS » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:14 am

rachelp wrote:If you feel you can part with the connectors, I am interested!
I'm happy to pay what you think they are worth.

Is the rack metal or plastic? I have heard these actually
go for stupid prices that collectors pay. At the moment
I just use the units stacked on my System 100.

I'll have to see how many I've got - they are packed in a box somewhere..
If I find them, you can have them - I rehearse with my band at South Penrith on a Tuesday evening if you want to pick them up next tiime I'm out there (Dec 16th)
The rack is metal, with a pressed base to slot into the bottom area on the unit so it can be attached via an M4 screw..

or if you have some rack rails handy, it's perfectly
matched to be a 19" timber unit able to hold 7RU!

Did you see that thread on GS also a while back? ;-)
I thought that was a ingenious way to make racks at Ikea prices ;-)

rachel
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:24 am

NYMo wrote:Hi 13,

Feel like doing another Prime Time ??

Mine needs some of your love...PM with approx costs please !

Cheers

N
Y
M
O

Is it a mark 1 or a Mark II?
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Thirteen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:26 am

I have a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus+ pitch modulator/flanger pedal here that I am soon putting up on ebay, I will post a link when it goes up.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby TimS » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:59 am

The TC SCF is a great pedal.. I dont undersatand why they made it 240V AC though - 12V DC would have been ample I'm sure.. Nothin worse than running extra 240V leads to your rig pedalboard!!
I did a shootout with a couple of guitar mates a few yrs ago between the TC SCF, an original Boss CE-2 and the Arion SCH-1.
The Boss won overall.. We all felt the CE-2 has slightly more mojo.. The SCF and the SCH-1 were on par..

I used to have the TC 1210 in my guitar rig - wish I'd never sold it :(
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby JulienG » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:51 pm

The problem with the Prime Time's is that even when broken they can be so much fun. I'd love mine to be fixed, but only if it could be switched back to brokenness.
Julien Goodwin
JulienG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:54 pm

JulienG wrote:The problem with the Prime Time's is that even when broken they can be so much fun. I'd love mine to be fixed, but only if it could be switched back to brokenness.

What's it doing?
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby JulienG » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:00 am

Thirteen wrote:
JulienG wrote:The problem with the Prime Time's is that even when broken they can be so much fun. I'd love mine to be fixed, but only if it could be switched back to brokenness.

What's it doing?

Acting like a semi-controllable noise generator, the input has some affect, but not much. Most likely it's a broken A/D or memory chips.
Julien Goodwin
JulienG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:11 am

JulienG wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

What's it doing?

Acting like a semi-controllable noise generator, the input has some affect, but not much. Most likely it's a broken A/D or memory chips.

Is it a MK I or a MK II? The ones that I repaired were Mk I's with memory expansion boards. I have never seen a Mk II other than on the net.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby NYMo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi thirteen,

Pretty sure its a mark 1.

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:45 pm

NYMo wrote:Hi thirteen,

Pretty sure its a mark 1.

Cheers
N
Y
M
O

I have a service manual for the Mk I, most of the parts in them are available still. The Mk I is the grey faced model, the Mk II is blue and black.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby JulienG » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Thirteen wrote:I have a service manual for the Mk I, most of the parts in them are available still. The Mk I is the grey faced model, the Mk II is blue and black.

Er, there's three models:
93 - Mk1 "Prime Time" - Grey with big knobs of all colours http://tinyurl.com/6l5oey
95 - MkII "Prime Time II" - Blue & black faceplate, blue buttons, blue-capped knobs, black faders, loses the sample rate abuse features http://tinyurl.com/5vkmwp
97 - "Super Prime Time" - bigger, same look as the II, programmable, http://tinyurl.com/6qc5bb

Thirteen, I'm actually flying up to Sydney tomorrow (Tuesday) evening for the rest of the week, if you want to take a look at mine I could bring it up with me if you let me know first thing (by, like 10ish) in the morn.
Julien Goodwin
JulienG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:05 pm

JulienG wrote:
Thirteen wrote:I have a service manual for the Mk I, most of the parts in them are available still. The Mk I is the grey faced model, the Mk II is blue and black.

Er, there's three models:
93 - Mk1 "Prime Time" - Grey with big knobs of all colours http://tinyurl.com/6l5oey
95 - MkII "Prime Time II" - Blue & black faceplate, blue buttons, blue-capped knobs, black faders, loses the sample rate abuse features http://tinyurl.com/5vkmwp
97 - "Super Prime Time" - bigger, same look as the II, programmable, http://tinyurl.com/6qc5bb

Thirteen, I'm actually flying up to Sydney tomorrow (Tuesday) evening for the rest of the week, if you want to take a look at mine I could bring it up with me if you let me know first thing (by, like 10ish) in the morn.

If it's a Mk 1 I am happy to take a look, I live on the outskirts of Sydney, but I will be coming into town over the next couple of days, so I could pick it up from you then if you have room inside your suitcase for it. The delay multiplier on the Mk 1 is where the magic is...
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby TimS » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:27 am

no-fi wrote:I really like some of the boss half rack gear.

It seems to be a step up from the pedals, which never have enough frequency range, cause they're made for guitar... and they have so much more electronics in them than a pedal. they seem a lot less noisy, and harder to overload, too.

RPH-10 is the phaser, RBF-10 is the flanger. RBF-10 is the first flanger I ever owned that I liked the sound of... they're both analogue (I don't recommend the chorus though - it's really not the same league as the phaser and flanger)

you can get them for $50-ish off ebay if you wait. Nobody seems to know about them... I have 2 of each, they have a modular LFO section, so you can patch them together to get stereo phaser or flanger effects with out of phase modulation. very nice.

Ed has the parametric EQ too, and it works really well with the phaser.

speaking of boss half rack gear, if anyone has the pitch shift delay(RPS-10) or(and?!!!) the sampling delay (RSD-10), and wants to sell.... talk to me. I've been looking for ages, and just can't find them in Australia.

there's an RDD-20 on ebay right now, not a sampling delay though, just straight DD
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Boss-RDD-20-Digi ... 240%3A1318
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum