Pre-amp advice

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Pre-amp advice

Postby Bent my VU » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:26 pm

I'm going to the US next month and was looking for some pre-amp advice. I do a lot of sound design and often need to record very quiet things so will probably need something that provides around 70dB of gain. Also i record acoustic guitar and electric guitar with a vocal thrown in every now and then.

What would you guys recommend? Don't wory about price just what fits my requirements.
Michael T
Bent my VU

Postby 13thbeach » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:37 pm

You should speak to Barney Loveland here on the forum. I tried the pickstone preamp and I couldn't believe its high gain. That and how amazing it sounds. I need to get me some.
Have a look at http://www.pickstone.com.au/
Mat Robins
Coloursound Recording Studio
13thbeach
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mfdu » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:15 am

+1 on the pickstone preamp (the one i saw was badged "The Gavitron"). Barney had to pry it from my shaking drunken fingers after a REAM session
not only high gain, but a thickness and density to the sound which is greater than the sum of its solid-state construction.

i need ME some, too.
once i've finished my g-SSL 9k's, neve-ish 1290's , API's, JLM baby animals and gyraf G9 preamps

(pant pant pant)
Chris T. Sager.

[sigh]
My current sound work involves a 67 valiant, a three year-old, Yo Gabba Gabba and a ukelele.
not always concurrently.
[/sigh]
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 am

GML 2032 could fit the bill. Very tranparent and has 4 band eq + hi/lo filters. Not sure how much gain it has....
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby chris p » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:16 am

By all means see what the US can offer, but don't overlook the JLM Dual 99V, TG and NV preamps, all of which come as either 500 series or dual racks versions (or so I believe). These each do 75db of gain.

If you are particularly cashed up, the JLM MP8 delivers 8 channels of 80db gain.
Chris Preston

The man who gives meaning to the word "amateur"
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby HA_DA_JA » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:20 am

I believe the manual states 70db of gain on the GML 2032.
Gee the more you read about it the more you think you may want one just to add to the collection.
Talking of George, the AT interview left me with "mixed" impressions of him (pun intended).
Either way though he has been a pioneer in the audio world and I dont think we have heard the last of him yet.
Cheers
Dale Smith
HA_DA_JA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rick » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:49 am

HA_DA_JA wrote:I believe the manual states 70db of gain on the GML 2032.
Gee the more you read about it the more you think you may want one just to add to the collection.
Talking of George, the AT interview left me with "mixed" impressions of him (pun intended).
Either way though he has been a pioneer in the audio world and I dont think we have heard the last of him yet.
Cheers

i met george for the first time yesterday and had dinner last night

he is clearly "one of us" only he was there first and is smarter and funnier and just better at it
lets see if we are still talking to each other by the end of the week :)
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby TimS » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:02 pm

rick wrote:
HA_DA_JA wrote:I believe the manual states 70db of gain on the GML 2032.
Cheers

i met george for the first time yesterday and had dinner last night

he is clearly "one of us" only he was there first and is smarter and funnier and just better at it
lets see if we are still talking to each other by the end of the week :)

I met and spoke with George today at Integrate after the panel session fpr about 15mins. We spoke about old records and production on a few albums I have that he worked on - he truely is a man of wisdom and vision.
Quite humbling for a juniorburger engineer like me..
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby 13thbeach » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:21 am

Good stuff mate. I'd love to have been there for that. Something you'll remember forever.
Mat Robins
Coloursound Recording Studio
13thbeach
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.