FYI: Jupiter 8 / Elka Synthex / Yamaha CS-60 on gumtree

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

FYI: Jupiter 8 / Elka Synthex / Yamaha CS-60 on gumtree

Postby lonearranger » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Just spotted these on gumtree - not my adds - no idea who is selling them - but though some of you might be interested.

Priced between $3200-$3600

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-fo ... Z157382414

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-fo ... Z157381912

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-fo ... Z157382660

Remeber there is no buyer protection with gumtree - so exercise caution - esp if the owner has just moved to perth, emails you back at 3am in the morning, and wants you pay via some obscure pal pal type service (this sort of happened to me with an add I resonded to one time).

Cheers
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby no-fi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:10 pm

daaaaaaamn!

I really wish I had the spare space to consider one of those three.
My name is Julian Higginson and I approve of this message.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rachelp » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:40 pm

That Synthex is a bargain waiting for some lucky buyer. Last one I saw went for 7500 with no MIDI etc.

rachel
rachelp

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:05 am

Um... Guys seriously don't respond to this seller, I highly reccommend you stay away from him, this stinks of fraud.

I have already reported these ads to the Gumtree administrators to be investigated and hope it is dealt with swiftly to avoid any genuine synth buyers getting ripped off. So why do I suspect these ads are fraudulent?, well for one the three synths are from the same seller and all his listed items are either high-end (ie expensive), rare or both. Secondly, and this is all I need to know to convince me on this, *all* the Synthex pics are from the one listed not so many months ago from a reputable store in victoria called Awave Pro Audio, this owner was genuinely selling on eBay Aus and the pics are a straight pull from the auction (note the ads are listed in Sydney not Victoria). Thirdly, this is not the first time this has happened, I have previously reported someone for the same style of fraudulent ads, ie. auction pics grabbed and used as bait, looks like the jackass has wizened up and is saving the pics to use after the eBay auctions have ended. It amazes me these frauds actually think they're smart or something, I'd never send money without full research on recent ebay sales ect.

Oh, and I remember the write up for the Jup8 from one listed a few weeks ago on US eBay, this is word for word identical.

So be very careful if you decide to send this guy money, I know I wouldn't.
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Jason Dirckze » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:53 am

Doesn't smell fishy to me, though I still wouldn't send that much cash without some sort of buyer protection. Pick up would be the only way to go, and take a BIG friend.
Jason Dirckze

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:03 am

Jason Dirckze wrote:Doesn't smell fishy to me, though I still wouldn't send that much cash without some sort of buyer protection. Pick up would be the only way to go, and take a BIG friend.

What?! Smells fishier than salmon season to me. I'd put money on those ads being fake, someone send him the cash and see what happens, any takers?
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Jason Dirckze » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:10 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
Jason Dirckze wrote:Doesn't smell fishy to me, though I still wouldn't send that much cash without some sort of buyer protection. Pick up would be the only way to go, and take a BIG friend.

What?! Smells fishier than salmon season to me. I'd put money on those ads being fake, someone send him the cash and see what happens, any takers?

Like I said, no way I'd be sending that amount of money for anything, so the only option would be pickup.
Jason Dirckze

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:22 am

Jason Dirckze wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:

Like I said, no way I'd be sending that amount of money for anything, so the only option would be pickup.

Fair enough, me neither. It's a risk on any long distance deal but I reckon if you asked there'd be no way this guy would agree to pickup.

Anyway, Gumtree leaves you high and dry if you get ripped off so I wouldn't recommend dealing with such rare and expensive synths this way, ebay and Paypal are still the tried and true method to avoid fraud.
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Futureman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:20 am

But if you are picking up (I live in Sydney), and assuming the seller isn't going to mug you... it's no different to buying something off trade me / buy sell & exchange / A mates mate / someone you met at the pub who is selling his VCS3.

Ask the dude if you can come around and inspect.
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:42 am

Futureman wrote:But if you are picking up (I live in Sydney), and assuming the seller isn't going to mug you... it's no different to buying something off trade me / buy sell & exchange / A mates mate / someone you met at the pub who is selling his VCS3.

Ask the dude if you can come around and inspect.

Well I can't since I'm from Tas and I'm not touching this seller with a ten-foot pole ie. I don't want him to even have my email address. So who are you meeting at pubs selling VCS3's? Never even seen one in Aus before ;)

Like I said this has happened before on Gumtree and I have reported it to the Admin for the site and got the seller banned, this may or not be the case in this example but if you want to take the risk then good luck, I just wanted to post a friendly warning here first, considering it was proven there has been synth scammers posting there before.

Oh and if this guy was legit why would he take pics which aren't available on the net now from the guy at Awave's Synthex that he sold on eBay Aus earlier this year? He obviously saved them to use when the auction had ended, think about it.

Anyway all this is hypothetical as I know I don't have the money for this stuff even if it was legit so I'm not going to contact the seller.

Cheers.
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby lonearranger » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:25 am

After taking another look I am pretty sure its a scam. The photos are all in different styles - one looks like its on a carpet, one in a hallway and one looks to be in a store. The attachment to the synths changes from my, to my beloved, to the detached up for sale is...

Suppose its good to raise awareness of this sort of thing, my apologies if I got anyones hopes up.
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby BOB-SNARE » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:42 pm

Did a guick google for the text in the Synthex ad, and it popped up in losanglese kijiji site
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Os ... clnk&gl=au

with the same photos...
definitely a scam.

Cheers
Ed Leckie
BOB-SNARE

Postby amnesia » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:42 pm

i had a reply and it said this person is in UK and Sydney all year round and he has a Deal with DHL,,,SCAM
Ross Healy
Electronic Artist/Sound Designer
VICMOD RECORDS
http://www.vicmod.net
MODULAR VIDS
http://www.youtube.com/user/cray56
amnesia

Postby beatmad » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:33 pm

lonearranger wrote:Suppose its good to raise awareness of this sort of thing, my apologies if I got anyones hopes up.

I don't think you need to apologise. You did a good thing and luckily the collective knowledge of the community was enough to sniff out a scam.
Peregrin C
beatmad

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:37 pm

Yes well I did try to warn you guys before but you didn't seem to be convinced, you get a feel for this sort of thing once you've seen it a few times. I could tell straight away that it was a scam, like I said I actually remember the legit sellers ads for the Synthex and Jupiter-8 so there you go. Just good to know no-one from here got ripped off by this jerk, I hop the ads get pulled from Gumtree very soon so there are no more scams from this guy.
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum