Need Advice & Opinions on Affordable Pro Studio Monitors

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Need Advice & Opinions on Affordable Pro Studio Monitors

Postby Hybrid88 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi guys,

Ok, so I need some help,

I've been using some pretty average speakers for too long (out of need not choice) to use as studio monitors and am now thinking it is about time to upgrade. Due to space restrictions, I'm looking into 6" sized woofers to give you an idea of the size I'm after. I will use them mainly for production/mixing from the computer, jamming on analog synths and even for general multimedia usage (CD's, films etc) - so I'm really after something that's not so painfully accurate that it's unpleasant to listen for hours. And I'm not usually going to listen to them very loudly at all, but I still want the option to crank them when needed.

What I want is two active 6"ish woofer Studio Monitors in a semi pro range. Budget is about $1000/Pair give or take. Sub will be purchased later so that's not a problem for now.

So I have made a shortlist of options that I was hoping you guys could offer some advice/opinions/experiences on and perhaps guide me to a good pair - also please say any that I have not mentioned that you think would be a good option for my needs. Oh, and they'll be quite close to a wall (unavoidable) so a rear port is not really ideal.

Option 1. - Emes Kobalt ($1,099 AU)

Option 2. - M-Audio BX-5a MkII Deluxe ($495 AU)

Option 3. - Quested S6R ($1,215 AU)

Option 4. - Yamaha HS50m ($699 AU)

Option 5. - Prodipe Pro 5 (249,00 €)

Option 6. - Genelec 8020A ($550 AU - On Special)

Leaning towards the Quested's at the moment but those Genelecs are at a great price...

...so any help is much appreciated :)
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Hybrid88 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:32 am

Right, so I've had another think about it and it's really only a contest between the Quested's, Genelecs and M-Audio BX-5a MkII's, any help on how these monitors compare?
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Hybrid88 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:43 am

Ah s@#t. Just realised, I think the price for the Quested S6R's in each! Plus there is no dealer for Quested in Aus. Great...
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chris H » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:19 am

Audio OZ here in Melb has these for a special at the moment. Well worth it.

Dynaudio 'BM5A'.........................Compact Active Monitors 1 pair $1,895.00
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:41 am

Checked out Fostex PM.5?
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby heathen » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:41 am

Eaybe check out Event monitors also, they make a 6" version, I've got the 8's and really like them.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby heathen » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:41 am

Maybe check out Event monitors also, they make a 6" version, I've got the 8's and really like them.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:13 am

We have those small Genelecs in anedit room here. While they are amazing sounding for the size I wouldn't really be making any critical mix decisions on them. They would be great to put on either side of your plasma screen at home though. They sound good with the sub..but up goes the price..
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mylesgm » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:29 am

Check the second hand market... I've seen dynaudios go for 50% less than retail but still in superb condition. I got my pair of JBL LSR 8inches for 1/3rd retail with the full accessory kit and they sound great.

I'd also be checking out the EMES series. If you got a shop you can audition all the speakers in, that will be your best friend.

Myles
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby NYMo » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:14 am

Hi there,

Those Questeds were being blown out a couple of months ago by the wholesaler
@ $900 a pair plus GST !
You should check if they are still avail (they had 4 pairs)

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The Tasmanian » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:19 pm

Watch out for the tweeters on the Quested's
they may need replacing often - it can hurt one's wallet (Ive been through about 10 pairs now in 6 years - Also if one blows - you really need to replace both tweeters)
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby smash » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:54 pm

KRK Rocket 5's...

Just throwing them in there...

We have 2 sets here, looking at another 3 sets.

They are "B" monitors in our mix room, and primaries in one of our edit suites.

The Dynaudio's are better, no question, but also 4 times the price.

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Chris H » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:19 pm

KRK Rocket 5's...

.....throw em right out again if i where you! :)
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby smash » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:33 pm

On my list was Event Opals, Mackie HR824's, and Dynaudio BM6a's.

When u have somebody saying to the accountants that the KRK's are just as good, but 1/4 the price, it is hard to win...
For the price, they are better than they deserve to be.

It comes down to this...

$3k gives you the KRK's, a good "colour" preamp, a apogee duet, with $1000 for a Mic.

or

$3k gives you a pair of Dynaudios.
I believe in spending the money to get the good gear, however, if you have a strict budget, you have a strict budget.

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Chris H » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:52 pm

smash wrote:On my list was Event Opals, Mackie HR824's, and Dynaudio BM6a's.

When u have somebody saying to the accountants that the KRK's are just as good, but 1/4 the price, it is hard to win...
For the price, they are better than they deserve to be.

It comes down to this...

$3k gives you the KRK's, a good "colour" preamp, a apogee duet, with $1000 for a Mic.

or

$3k gives you a pair of Dynaudios.
I believe in spending the money to get the good gear, however, if you have a strict budget, you have a strict budget.

As they say ..you gotta start somewhere....., but i say always head in the direction of getting "the good gear".
I'm always working to a budget at my private studio and working for the school. But i dont buy gear i don't like.
I will spread purchasing of the gear i want over a few budget cycles, and looking for the specials when they come up which is all the time, and especially at the end of each financial year. Also, in most institutions you can play with the budget. When putting in the budget request i quote the full retail price of the gear i want/need. l I hold off spending untill Factory sound or whoever, has their sale and get more bang for my buck. Still i don't get "high end" gear for the school but do get the tools i would rather work with.
For my personal studio it has taken the best part of 15 years to slowly work up to what i have now.
It's always horses for courses
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby smash » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

I'd love to have "budget cycles".

We do have them for i.t. but not for any of the ancillaries.
We buy "as needed" but have to justify the cost.

We are somewhat different also, as we are a video facility, as we have multiple suites, so any difference is multiplied.

Also, we have to buy all the other bits and pieces too...

And - Has anyone had to get a price on a flat floor recently !!!
I nearly fell over.

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:12 am

Hey Thanks so much for all your replies!

I'll reply to each of you - to keep things going ;)

Chris H wrote:Audio OZ here in Melb has these for a special at the moment. Well worth it.

Dynaudio 'BM5A'.........................Compact Active Monitors 1 pair $1,895.00

Yeah, considered these for a while but in the end I just cant stretch the budget too far abive 1600/Pr of nearfields - I've been without *any* monitors for years so I've just really got to get started on this shit if I'm going to be seriously making tracks.

Kurt wrote:Checked out Fostex PM.5?

Yeah, ruled them out, I want something pretty decent for my money rather than just get the cheapest and regret it later - that said I can't really go over 1600/Pr.

heathen wrote:Maybe check out Event monitors also, they make a 6" version, I've got the 8's and really like them.

Yes, these are the only ones (TR6's) that I've been able to demo at a local store, weren't bad but didn't really impress - didn't sound like a great pair to track/jam with synths - just my impression :o)

Chinagraf wrote:We have those small Genelecs in anedit room here. While they are amazing sounding for the size I wouldn't really be making any critical mix decisions on them. They would be great to put on either side of your plasma screen at home though. They sound good with the sub..but up goes the price..

You're absolutely right I've decided not to go with these, they just don't have enough grunt to accurately portray the bass sounds from my analog's.

mylesgm wrote:Check the second hand market... I've seen dynaudios go for 50% less than retail but still in superb condition. I got my pair of JBL LSR 8inches for 1/3rd retail with the full accessory kit and they sound great.

I'd also be checking out the EMES series. If you got a shop you can audition all the speakers in, that will be your best friend.

Myles

Hey, yeah Dyn's are cool but just too expensive even from what I've seen on the 2nd-hand market (maybe some exeptions tho). Any word on the Emes Kobalt's? - still wondering about these.

I'm in Tasmania so as far as shopping for pro monitors...

...um nope :(

NYMo wrote:Hi there,

Those Questeds were being blown out a couple of months ago by the wholesaler
@ $900 a pair plus GST !
You should check if they are still avail (they had 4 pairs)

Crap, who? what? where? These are absolutely my top pick to be honest - really nice looking monitors √√√

Any more info on this would be really helpful, thanks!

The Tasmanian wrote:Watch out for the tweeters on the Quested's
they may need replacing often - it can hurt one's wallet (Ive been through about 10 pairs now in 6 years - Also if one blows - you really need to replace both tweeters)

Really? Haven't heard about this - is this a very common problem with the Q's?

smash wrote:KRK Rocket 5's...

We have 2 sets here, looking at another 3 sets.

They are "B" monitors in our mix room, and primaries in one of our edit suites.

The Dynaudio's are better, no question, but also 4 times the price.

Chris H wrote:KRK Rocket 5's...

.....throw em right out again if i where you! :)

Cheers guys, but I think I should be able to do better that these - I actually need to *upgrade* from my crap Hi-Fi gear Ha ha!

Chris H wrote:As they say ..you gotta start somewhere....., but i say always head in the direction of getting "the good gear".
I'm always working to a budget at my private studio and working for the school. But i dont buy gear i don't like...

Definately, this is my philosophy also, If I'm going to do it, I'd rather wait a while get something decent (not hugely expensive tho) that will do the job better and I'll be happier with in the long run.

BTW- M-Audio BX-5a MkII's any good?

Thanks for your time guys,

Richard.
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 am

You don't like any of them but have only actually heard the Event 6"

After some hunting around I am yet to find a bad review of any of the speakers mentioned so far (Including the Fostex's ;)

Since you can't listen to them, toss a coin, draw names from a hat, buy the dearest, or the ones that match your decor the best, any of them will do the job.

Personally I'd consider spending some of the $1600, going to Melbourne for a day and auditioning some in the flesh.
Kurt Neist
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:16 am

Kurt wrote:You don't like any of them but have only actually heard the Event 6"

After some hunting around I am yet to find a bad review of any of the speakers mentioned so far (Including the Fostex's ;)

Since you can't listen to them, toss a coin, draw names from a hat, buy the dearest, or the ones that match your decor the best, any of them will do the job.

Personally I'd consider spending some of the $1600, going to Melbourne for a day and auditioning some in the flesh.

Thanks but I didn't say I didn't like any of them - you're misinterpreting what I said. If you read what I actually wrote, I said I really like the Questeds as my first pick and need to hear more opinions on the Emes Kobalt's, M-Audio BX's and Event TR6's (seing as I can't compare) and whatever else before I can make my decision. I'm trying to recognise the one's I don't want in order to have a shortlist of the ones I do ;)

but I think going to Melbourne is really out of the question ATM and would probably be a waste of time anyway - I'm buying for a bedroom studio not a huge, noisy music store.

Anyway, I've found bad and good reviews on just about all of these monitors, I just really want to know what people around here think of them

This is the kind of help I really need - if you have a personal opinion/preference on any of these monitors or a reason not to pick them then feel free to share it and it will go towards helping me make a final decision, otherwise please don't tell me to toss a coin.

Cheers.
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 am

I, like you, have a bedroom studio. My monitors get used for every noise the computer makes.

When I was looking to step up from (decent) hi-fi speakers to something a bit more accurate I went to the local music shop and listened to everything they had, even ones well out of my price range.

I know it's not a very scientific way of picking monitors but I went for the ones I could afford that sounded most like the most expensive ones they had :)

I am extremely happy with my choice of Fostex PM1, they were easily the best inside my budget. I got them for the magic number ($1000) though they are a fair bit cheaper these days. The only other stand outs I could afford were some KRK's, can't remember what model but probably been superceded by now anyway.

I do tend to mix a bit bass heavy but it's more because my mix room is untreated than any shortcomings of the speakers. The room has a big hole around 110hz (doh!)
Kurt Neist
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:08 am

One of my partners has the bigger passive Questeds in his room. I kinda like the sound of them but he too has been through a few pairs of tweeters. I think they are also filled with some sort of magic liquid? or something, because it was pricey to replace. He may have fuses on them now but some people don't like fuses. I suppose you could fit fuses to the actives..if you don't mind fuses.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:09 am

Can't edit my post, so judt should also say the tweeter blows have ben from unforunate spikes or feedback loops, they haven't just blown in the middle of a mix for no reason or anything.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:10 am

It sometimes helps to take the distinction between studio monitors and hi fi speakers with a grain of salt.
The speakers I ended up with in my studio are not "studio monitors" but for the way i work seemed to suit me better than all "studio monitors" i could afford at the time, and still do me well. They are the B&W 602. Many engineers use "hi fi" speakers as monitors. Most of the upper level hi fi speakers are better than cheaper "studio monitors" and the label, studio monitor can be treated with skepticism in many cases as they are ordinary speakers manufactured at a particular and often gullible market.
What i'm trying to say is buying studio monitors is not always a step up from having hi fi speakers.
I don't know if they would suit you Richard as they are passive and larger than the speakers you seem to be after but i think when on a budget passive speakers are a better way to go, bang for buck as a good amp can be obtained for a relativity cheap price.
In the early days of my studio, my first amp was a 2nd hand Sansui AU 555 for $45 that did the job if i bypassed the preamp stage and went straight into the power amp. Next was a Paul Kirk Monitor Amp made in Australia for the broadcast industry for $80. Had a more defined bass than the Sansui and slightly more detailed sound.
The amp i use now, my most expensive amp, is a Crown DC300, and if Burnie Grundman uses em they can't be too shabby. It cost me $180 and a further $150 to get serviced to original spec. I have a Linear Transfer amp that came from Soundfirm here in Melbourne that needs to be serviced, that is a similar design to the Crown and it cost $150
Just a few thoughts, and i might as well add that reviews are often no more than a marketing tool, and for an objective review the criticisms of a product are implied in what is not said rather than direct criticism.
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Thanks again guys, this is exactly the advice I need!

Kurt wrote:...I am extremely happy with my choice of Fostex PM1, they were easily the best inside my budget. I got them for the magic number ($1000) though they are a fair bit cheaper these days...

Yes I've got to admit when I first heard about the PM1's, I thought Fostex err... but no they seem to be very, very good semi-budget pro monitors - definately an option.

Cheers Andy,

Yeah, as much as I was favouring the Quested's, I think I'll play it safe and get something that is a bit more reliable. I'm most likely going to be using these for a good few years and putting all kinds of shit through them - synthesised sounds can be taxing on monitors when tweaking filters, VCO Frequencys etc so I need them to be pretty tough all rounders ;)

Cool thanks for you thoughts Chris,

I've been using a Mk1 Dick Smith brand stereo amp and bookshelf's for ages and they've been really good as Hi-Fi listening speakers but are not that accurate for mixing - the difference I hear between these speakers and studio monitors like say the Event TR6's or Genelecs etc is that they seem a lot more round if that makes sense, kinda like sounds at all frequencies are the same volume and presence and are a lot more separate and clear.

Yes I think the 602's are a bit big for my space, I am limited to two smallish spots on a computer desk between my 20" Apple display, plus there is a wall about an inch from the back of the desk, and a small mixer & MIDI kbd on the desk too so I don't want anything over about 290mm deep as a guide.

Ok, so I think that I now have a good list to work with that best suit my needs and budget, these are;

1. Dynaudio BM5a Compact - possibly too pricy but worth it - we'll see ;)

2. Event TR6's - Great combination of price and features makes these the best pick for me I think.

3. Fostex PM1's - Don't know much about these but they could be a very good all round studio pair.

4. Quested S6R's - had a good impression of these from reviews, specs etc, but absolutely can not risk replacing components regularly - I will occasionally have loud and harsh sounds going through my speakers in the course of programming my synths so I need a pair that can take it.

So for the sake of argument it's down to the Fostex's and Events - any real winner between these two?

Thanks again for all your input,

Richard.
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Roy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:07 pm

Well I got a pair of Event TR8s and I think they're just awesome. Especially for the money. I think I paid about a grand.
Troy Schleter
Roy

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:44 pm

I recently checked out some new Events, dunno what model number but they were big and priced accordingly. They sounded great. I think they'd be too big for my room, lucky 'coz I can't afford them anyway :)

It really is a shame you can't audition them as I think really all would come down to is which pair you felt would work/sound/look/fit the best in your space.
Kurt Neist
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Hybrid88 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:18 am

Kurt wrote:I recently checked out some new Events, dunno what model number but they were big and priced accordingly. They sounded great. I think they'd be too big for my room, lucky 'coz I can't afford them anyway :)

Yep they're the Opals, all the top dogs are absolutely raving about them, but yeah massive in size and cost - so not for me.

Kurt wrote:It really is a shame you can't audition them as I think really all would come down to is which pair you felt would work/sound/look/fit the best in your space.

Yeah you're right about that, I think what I might do while I'm saving up for either (pretty much the same price) is wait a while and when I can, maybe go to Melbourne or wherever I go on holidays next, take a reference CD and try out the Fostex's - I can then come home and compare with the Events as they're actually at my local music shop and see what I think. Be better if I could try both at the same time but I don't think anywhere stocks both?

Anyway, I reckon thats probably the only way I'll be able to make a decision between these.

One things for sure though, I'm going to be freakin' pleased to actually have some studio monitors for a change no matter which I get :)
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mick_e » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:32 pm

I just recieved an email from dj warehouse who are having a studio monitor sale. They have a pair of emes quartz for 790 for the pair, but they are display stock. If your interested
http://djwarehouse.com.au/cat/index.cgi ... id=1480992
Michael Ellul
Brisbane
mick_e

Postby Hybrid88 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:05 pm

mick_e wrote:I just recieved an email from dj warehouse who are having a studio monitor sale. They have a pair of emes quartz for 790 for the pair, but they are display stock. If your interested
http://djwarehouse.com.au/cat/index.cgi ... id=1480992

Cool, they look very nice but by the time I've got the cash together I reckon they'll be gone. I've got a couple of synths that I've been meaning to organise payment for so for now unfortunately they'll have to come first.

Thanks.
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Hybrid88 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:36 pm

Oh, just realised the status on those Emes is "out of stock" so don't know if they're still available but seems not. Probably get the Events TR6's when I can ;)
Richard Antel

Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.