DIY mic pre's and stuff - aussie made kits or suppliers?

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

DIY mic pre's and stuff - aussie made kits or suppliers?

Postby mfdu » Fri May 20, 2005 2:55 pm

i know of JLM in bris-vegas, but i'm wondering about any other resources for DIY-ing some pre's and comp/limiters.

eager to build some - for the experience, and the sound.

specifically, i'd like to avoid going across the pond - want to source pcb's parts etc locally.

i know there are the web-boards devoted to DIY, but does anyone here have any tips / contacts? i'm not trying to build (for EG) a geniune 1176 clone with correct knobbage etc - not concered about asthetics, only euphonics!!!

anyone, anyone?

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ottowr » Fri May 20, 2005 5:34 pm

They're not Australian, but I like the look of this range....

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm
ottowr
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby mfdu » Fri May 20, 2005 6:06 pm

ooh ooh ooh i know what you mean about the seventh circle kits. and then there's hamptone ( http://www.hamptone.com ).
juicy, and the online community seem to dig them. but they're on the wrong side of the pond, and i'd rather plow my money back into our own industry!
but i got a tip from one of the other lads here (someone in adelaide who has 1176 pcb's), and am chasing that now. if it all works out, i'll post all the details.
so thats an 1176 clone sorted. there's so many LA2A clones i wouldn't be surprised if i get into a couple of them soon, too.
next - mic pre's. if *secret dude* doesn't have nuthin, i'll be getting a JLM dual 99V with DI and phase / phantom / pad add-ons.

will post once more i know.

:)
chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ausrock » Fri May 20, 2005 8:40 pm

To my knowledge, apart from JLM, locally, there is no-one (i.e: business), doing "kits", PCB's, etc., on a commercial basis. There was a run of PCB's (SSL Comp, LA2a, 1176, etc., ....from memory), done in Sydney about 18 months ago but all were earmarked very early, so if you have found a secret local source then jump on it asap.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peter Knight » Sat May 21, 2005 1:01 am

You could try the G9 micpre on groupdiy.com , it's a twin channel valve job. I've got the PCB staring at me impatiently as I type.

You'd still have to source the parts though.
Peter Knight

Postby mfdu » Sat May 21, 2005 9:45 am

i admit that sourcing the parts is more of a worry than building the unit -
it seems online (prodigy forum for example) that most people have three unbuilt projects and are busier chasing parts than building.

if *secret* wants me to post his details here re. 1176 pcb's, i will. it's up to him.

so i'm gonna try an 1176, and maybe a JLM dual pre.

anyone else got fun projects on the boil?

i know there are plenty of DIY forums, but i wanna talk to other aussies, not a bunch of seppo's!

well, i gotta go and change the bearings in my skateboard now. take care.

chris.
Last edited by mfdu on Mon May 23, 2005 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rick » Sat May 21, 2005 1:05 pm

i have several bits and bobs that joe malone (jlm) market as kits
this is an excellent and very cheap (cost wise not quality) resource
dont be afraid to use it.

i am good for line in /out transformers of you have the specs and also vu meters (sifam) if you have the bucks.
i have more then i need

in fact if your looking for a small quantity of any part for the usual suspects
vintage audio gear shoot me an email
i am happy to get diy guys on the path to eternal confusion .
Last edited by rick on Sat May 21, 2005 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rick

Postby Ausrock » Sat May 21, 2005 1:46 pm

One would almost suspect that "secret" (BTW, that is just f***ing lame), is lurking around The Lab, possibly as "bladesg". One can only hope that "secret" is not secretly using other's design work for his own monetary gains.

"[i]i wanna talk to other aussies, not a bunch of seppo's! [/i]

Gee........possibly the first racist comment on the new Turtlerock forum.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Luke Garfield » Sun May 22, 2005 9:51 am

I am interested in DIY. But being completely honest I am only up to "soldering the dots". My biggest project was wiring up my 376's (now I'd like to find out where that crackle is coming from). So I am wondering (because I think I should "go to school" for a while) what I should read or "study". I have electronic books and understand the basics of some components. What has always daunted me is that I am interested specifically in audio but there is so much "stuff" out there to look at which bits pertain to me. Anybody suggest where I should go with my quest to "eternal confusion".

Cheers.
Luke Garfield

Postby mfdu » Sun May 22, 2005 10:11 am

rick - i will gratefully fwd you a parts wish list once i get the pcb's, if you're still ok with that.

ausrock - i fear you misunderstand me. whilst america as a country may scare me, i embrace all individuals. please forgive my attempt at humour - esp. since *secret* (not who you think) is indeed an american in australia!

luke - i'm kinda getting the impression that folks would rather we kept our DIY chats on the *official* DIY pages - try http://www.geocities.com/m_natsume/1176.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.ph ... 59d1a875aa
and also http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/index.php

sorry to everyone who feels offended by joke, or upset i've introduced DIY to this forum. will remember my place next time.

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peter Knight » Sun May 22, 2005 5:03 pm

I've got no objection to DIY in this forum... anyone else?
Peter Knight

Postby Ausrock » Sun May 22, 2005 5:20 pm

It's Rick's forum and ultimately it's his call.

Personally, it doesn't bother me, but when there is somewhere like The Lab with it's volume of knowledge and the years of experience of some of the guys there, I can't see any logical reason for not using it. To say that "i wanna talk to other aussies, not a bunch of seppo's" is somewhat akin to some kid saying that he's going to learn guitar and become a rock star, but only if he can stay in his bedroom to do it...................but hey, whatever floats your boat.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mfdu » Sun May 22, 2005 6:56 pm

ausrock

i'm sorry i've offended you.

i'd like to say that i saw this forum as an opportunity to be involved in a more focussed community. a positive community of similarly minded people who i could imagine are locals. locals to our little island, anyway.

thanks for your comments.

chris.

[edited]
and can i just say
i am not a racist.
i am not wasting my time, and i don't believe i am wasting anyone elses.
why did you choose to say those things about me, ausrock?
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rick » Tue May 24, 2005 3:03 pm

chill out gentlemen
i absolutely encourage people to talk about tech stuff on the site
including diy ( which is essentially tech stuff ).

ausrock , mfdu has apoligized to you , and also sent me a private email
with his apoligies for any misunderstanding he may have raised on the site.
the last forum got really bitchy towards the end, i will not sponsor a site that gets like that again.
i have never had the impression that you were of that ilk so maybe there is another misunderstanding here

i have a 3 page email on my computer because a local church got really offended that i referred to the war on terror as "the united states war on whoever" in an audio tech article
apparently i am "uniformed , racist and bigited because i dont realise that george w. bush is the leader of the great light and he will go down in history as the greatest christian leader of our time
when the time comes i will be judged and will have to make good for my ill deeds."

the world is THAT crazy at the moment

please folks lets pretend its not around here
rick

Return to The Turtlerock Forum