Roland D10 keys not working

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Roland D10 keys not working

Postby KBnewbie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi,
Picked up a Roland D10 synth pretty cheap in a private sale.
Works fine as a module however some keys are not working.
The keys physically work fine however their "contacts" are not working.
My question is has anybody here fixed this type of fault, is it difficult and are spare parts required?
The specific 6 faulty keys are G, A, E flat, B,G and E flat.
The pitch bender also has a problem,and although functioning "pitch bending", the spring return from "bend pitch up" does not auto return to centre.
Just trying to work out if it if I can repair it myself or if too involved I would on sell it to someone to use a module with the faults as described.
Cheers,
Noel
BTW I am in Brisbane.
Noel Bourne
KBnewbie

Postby Futureman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:54 pm

For the contacts it could possibly be one of two things.

You'll have to take the keyboards mech apart, and clean the pcb & remover the rubber contacts and clean them too.
(I generally dunk the rubber contacts in warm soapy water, then rinse, then air dry)

If it happens that all the keys are equal spacing apart, (Say 7 semitones) then it could be a corroded track from some geezer spilling his coke on the keyboard.

Thats easy to fix as well.. just gotta solder a fine wire across the points that are corroded.

Best of luck.
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby KBnewbie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Futureman wrote:For the contacts it could possibly be one of two things.

You'll have to take the keyboards mech apart, and clean the pcb & remover the rubber contacts and clean them too.
(I generally dunk the rubber contacts in warm soapy water, then rinse, then air dry)

If it happens that all the keys are equal spacing apart, (Say 7 semitones) then it could be a corroded track from some geezer spilling his coke on the keyboard.

Thats easy to fix as well.. just gotta solder a fine wire across the points that are corroded.

Best of luck.

Thanks Mike, yes I think it is dirty contacts as the defective keys are not sequentially apart so I guess I have got to get inside it and give it a good clean...I'll post when it is all done. I have seen contact repair kits by Oaktree Vintage but I think I will clean it first to see how it shapes up.
Cheers,
Noel
Noel Bourne
KBnewbie

Postby KBnewbie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Futureman wrote:

Best of luck.

Just an update....cleaned the contacts and found some corroded tracks that were open circuit.
Thanks for the advice Mike.
Also fixed a faulty pitch bend/modulation assembly.
All seems to be working well now although the volume slider needs cleaning or replacing as it is a little intermittent when moving although OK at a fixed position.
I am offering the keyboard for sale now.
Cheers,
Noel
Noel Bourne
KBnewbie

Postby Futureman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:14 pm

Glad to help.

Regards
Mike
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor