Calling any Korg M1 experts!! HELP!

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Calling any Korg M1 experts!! HELP!

Postby TimS » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:30 pm

Our keyboardists M1 just died at rehearsals last night - 3 days before a big show in the country (fri nite)
Cannot select any patches, midi channels, anything. Will only scroll thru & output the midi drum sounds.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Megtronics are overloaded in emergency repairs/work at the moment.

Tim
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:56 pm

If you have your patches backed up, which of course you do, you could try the factory reset option - hold INT, CARD, AND COMBI then power the machine on. This will lose all of your patches and settings though, so make sure that you are prepared for that.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby TimS » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Thirteen wrote:If you have your patches backed up, which of course you do, you could try the factory reset option - hold INT, CARD, AND COMBI then power the machine on. This will lose all of your patches and settings though, so make sure that you are prepared for that.

Thanks Steve - I'll let him know, although I suspect he's tried that already!
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby TimS » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:42 am

Didnt work Steve - factory restore didnt activate - just stayed the same as when the unit is switched.
Shane says it comes up with just "00 Int Program" but it doesnt say the "Universe" (the first loaded program)
It will scroll through the program number but the name stays as "Int Program" and it only changes midi drum sounds..
Thats about it - any more suggestions??
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Futureman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:42 am

I'm not an expert on the M1, but it souds like it's lost it's patches, so maybe flat memory battery?
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby TimS » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Thanks Mike - getting it checked today..
I hope thats all it is!!
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:02 pm

TimS wrote:Didnt work Steve - factory restore didnt activate - just stayed the same as when the unit is switched.
Shane says it comes up with just "00 Int Program" but it doesnt say the "Universe" (the first loaded program)
It will scroll through the program number but the name stays as "Int Program" and it only changes midi drum sounds..
Thats about it - any more suggestions??

Yes, an M1 without patches loaded will have every patch as 00 Int Program (which from memory is a piano patch), so download the SYSEX from the net if you don't have your own backup, put it into any MIDI sequencer and play it into the M1's MIDI port. Go into the M1's Global settings first and turn off the memory protection though. If the battery is flat I think it is on the underside of the CPU board, I remember that you have to unscrew the board and the card slot screws to flip the board enough to put the new battery in.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby TimS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks guys - was a flat battery after all that..
All fixed now and the gig went smashingly well...

;-)
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum