Yamaha CP-70b owners

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Yamaha CP-70b owners

Postby zedsoundz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:47 am

G'day,
I recently bought a cp70b that is missing the legs and braces. Have looked everywhere online for replacements, but to no avail.
I have access to metalworking tools and am planning on fabricating my own legs and braces now as it seems that is the only way to get this thing standing up the way it was intended.
Is there any kind soul who has a cp70/80 who would be willing to post some detailed pics of the legs and braces as well as some measurements for me. I'd like to get them as close to the originals as possible so as to not interfere with the overall aesthetic.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated :)

Cheers
Alex Cameron. Adelaide.
zedsoundz

Postby Futureman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:13 pm

One of my co-workers owns a CP-70 (Could be CP-80)

He's slowly restoring the finish on his etc.. I might be able to get him to take some pics etc.. I'll ask him when I see him next.

Regards
Mike
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby zedsoundz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 pm

That would be sensational Mike :)
If you could possibly ask him the Length, and circumference of them aswell that would be great.
Cheers,
Alex
zedsoundz

Postby headman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:09 pm

I had a CP80 back in the 70's-80's. I found the legs and chains and struts unmanageable so I had built a box type frame of angled light steel that fitted around the keyboard/hammer section. It worked well and the set-up time was minimal. Give this a thought before going down the legs/struts journey.

All the best

headman
headman

Postby zedsoundz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:36 pm

This is definitely a good idea and I had considered constructing something unique. You are right in that it would be much easier to build something more sturdy and simple to assemble then the stock Yamaha jobbies. But I've decided to go down this path purely for the look of it more than anything else. The piano will be used in my studio exclusively, so that once it's up and playing, it wont have to be broken down very often, if ever.
Just out of curiosity, when you had your frame built, did you have the legs at an angle or were they just straight up and down? Also did you have to modify the sustain pedal chains to fit or sort out a different system?
Cheers,
Alex Cameron. Adelaide.
zedsoundz

Postby NYMo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi there,

My mate Garry (analogpro) knows all about this stuff.
Contact him.

CHeers
N
Y
M
O
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby headman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:10 pm

The "legs" were actually a angled steel box that the CP80 sat in,so straight up and down. Because it was a box structure it was solid and strong but light and built high enough for the sustain pedal just to sit under the piano and held in place with some gaff. It worked perfectly every night for years and had a GS2 synth sitting on top of it (so stable as well). This was so much easier that connecting legs and support bars. it would be perfect in a studio where the piano is static. I never saw anyone use the chain more than a few times, just gaff to hold the pedal in place. I got the idea from watching Daryl Hall using a CP70 live.

headman
headman

Postby zedsoundz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:16 pm

The amount of things you can fix with Gaff is amazing. I once watched a bloke reline the whole interior of his car with a box of Gaffa :)
Alex Cameron. Adelaide.
zedsoundz

Postby zedsoundz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:19 pm

This is what it looks like at the moment.... needs new tolex (maybe considering painting it) and maybe a re-felt. But it's cool nonetheless :)
zedsoundz

Postby wez » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:26 pm

zedsoundz wrote:The amount of things you can fix with Gaff is amazing. I once watched a bloke reline the whole interior of his car with a box of Gaffa :)

have you seen what gaffa looks like after it's been stuck to something for a couple of years?
wez prictor
composure music
http://www.composuremusic.com.au/

Australian importer of Crumar Mojo keyboards & accessories. Vintage keyboard fetishist.
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby zedsoundz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:27 pm

NYMo wrote:Hi there,

My mate Garry (analogpro) knows all about this stuff.
Contact him.

CHeers
N
Y
M
O

Cheers for the heads up Nymo. Is this his website? - http://www.analogpro.com/
zedsoundz

Postby NYMo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi there,

Sorry Zedsoundz...no...thats not him !

Just search this site for user analogpro.

Garry restores Rhodes, wurlies , Cp 70's and Leslies, analog synths etc

Cheers
N
Y
M

O
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby zedsoundz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:32 pm

wez wrote:
zedsoundz wrote:The amount of things you can fix with Gaff is amazing. I once watched a bloke reline the whole interior of his car with a box of Gaffa :)

have you seen what gaffa looks like after it's been stuck to something for a couple of years?

have you seen what a car looks like with it's interior lined in Gaffa?.... It was the 90's in Adelaide, people were bored, weed was cheap and abundant, as was Gaff. :)
Alex Cameron. Adelaide.
zedsoundz

Postby zedsoundz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:33 pm

NYMo wrote:Hi there,

Sorry Zedsoundz...no...thats not him !

Just search this site for user analogpro.

Garry restores Rhodes, wurlies , Cp 70's and Leslies, analog synths etc

Cheers
N
Y
M

O

Cheers NYMo, on to it now.
Alex Cameron. Adelaide.
zedsoundz

Postby zedsoundz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:59 pm

headman wrote:The "legs" were actually a angled steel box that the CP80 sat in,so straight up and down. Because it was a box structure it was solid and strong but light and built high enough for the sustain pedal just to sit under the piano and held in place with some gaff. It worked perfectly every night for years and had a GS2 synth sitting on top of it (so stable as well). This was so much easier that connecting legs and support bars. it would be perfect in a studio where the piano is static. I never saw anyone use the chain more than a few times, just gaff to hold the pedal in place. I got the idea from watching Daryl Hall using a CP70 live.

headman

Honestly Headman, if this foray into reverse engineering turns out to be folly, I'll probably do what you're talking about. Just really like things to be original in look. Bit of an anal attitude - I know. Just can't help it. But if I can't have it original, I'm gonna hotrod the thing instead (crazy paintjob, custom stand, midi controller)

:)
Alex Cameron. Adelaide.
zedsoundz

Postby headman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:56 pm

Fair enough,
For me it was a simple setup for playing live, and let's face it when you are moving a CP80 that's anything but simple to start with.

Have fun
headman
headman

Postby 13thbeach » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:04 pm

Hey man,
I have a CP70b. Its currently packed away. A shame you live so far otherwise you could borrow the legs to make them.
I can't get to it for a month or so as my whole studio is packed up waiting to move. But mine is all original etc...
If you can wait a little longer, maybe I could help you out.
Cheers.
Mat Robins
Coloursound Recording Studio
13thbeach
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ausrock » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:05 am

I think I may have posted about this a long time ago but I was (and kinda still am) looking for someone who may be parting out a cp70, specifically looking for some hammers................they don't take kindly to a cp70 biting the dust when a leg comes adrift.
ChrisO.....I think. Oh, and F*#K Google, ask me!
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby zedsoundz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:25 am

Ausrock wrote:I think I may have posted about this a long time ago but I was (and kinda still am) looking for someone who may be parting out a cp70, specifically looking for some hammers................they don't take kindly to a cp70 biting the dust when a leg comes adrift.

This guy: http://www.pianochopshop.com/action-parts.html sells hammers... $15 (us) a pop :)
zedsoundz

Postby zedsoundz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:27 am

13thbeach wrote:Hey man,
I have a CP70b. Its currently packed away. A shame you live so far otherwise you could borrow the legs to make them.
I can't get to it for a month or so as my whole studio is packed up waiting to move. But mine is all original etc...
If you can wait a little longer, maybe I could help you out.
Cheers.

F**k I love this forum. That's a wonderful offer 13thbeach. I may take you up on it :) I'll see how I go over the next few months.

Cheers,
Alex Cameron. Adelaide.
zedsoundz

Postby 13thbeach » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:52 am

Mat Robins
Coloursound Recording Studio
13thbeach
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby zedsoundz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:50 pm

They've only just started making the braces.... I bought my sustain pedal and rod from them when I first got the piano.
Might mail them to see if they plan on making legs :)
Alex Cameron. Adelaide.
zedsoundz

Postby zedsoundz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:40 pm

OK, so a kind gentleman has provided me with pictures and measurements which are more than enough to get me started. Will post more as I progress. Cheers to all who have contacted me with offers of help, you are all legends :)
Alex Cameron. Adelaide.
zedsoundz

Re: Yamaha CP-70b owners

Postby what_noise? » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:36 pm

whats one of these worth over here? thinking of trading a wurly for one
Oliver Horn
Perth
what_noise?

Postby lonearranger » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:27 pm

what_noise? wrote:whats one of these worth over here? thinking of trading a wurly for one

Last 2 I saw that sold on ebay last year were between 1500 and 2000 i think. Have not seen any on ebay since then, so they are geting thin on the ground.

A swap for a wurli is probably fair. These days I think they both go for the $1500-2000. Someone here has a wurli for 1600 which I thought was a good price.

Keep in mind things like tuning, strings and regulation will cost time or money. They are really nice though.

Cheers
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby Futureman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:22 pm

lol..

my mate picked up a CP70b for $500 a few months ago off ebay after I pointed him towards it.

poorly advertised - "Electric piano"

The type of listings we hope for .. like "moag organ"
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby what_noise? » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Futureman wrote:lol..

my mate picked up a CP70b for $500 a few months ago off ebay after I pointed him towards it.

poorly advertised - "Electric piano"

The type of listings we hope for .. like "moag organ"

Thats awesome, I'd love a moag, :D

It feel though so guess I wont be playing a cp70 anytime soon,

on the plus side picked up a mislabeled USA fender blues deluxe out of the HI-fi section on gumtree yesterday for $200, stoked
Oliver Horn
Perth
what_noise?

Return to Vintage Synth Forum