Novation Super Bass Station midi-CV Korg MS20 Problems

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Novation Super Bass Station midi-CV Korg MS20 Problems

Postby rafu1210 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi, I just got a Novation Super Bass Station and I've got it triggering my Korg MS20 (Bass Station "CV out" - MS20 "VCO 1+2 CV in" and Bass Station "Gate Out" - MS20 "Trig in"). It triggers the notes but they aren't tracking corrrectly. The MS20 is in tune when played via the keyboard but the CV triggered notes are inaccurate.

For example, if I program a C major scale, the Bass Station plays it correctly but the MS20 gives me a dodgy out of tune chromatic scale from B up to F#.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Dustin McLean
www.dustinmclean.com
rafu1210

Postby Futureman » Thu May 27, 2010 5:52 pm

I think you can set the bass-stations CV out to Volts/Octave (Roland , SCI , Moog) and to Hz/Volt (Early Korg / Yamaha)

One will track poorly, the other good. ;]
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rafu1210 » Sat May 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks for the response, I actually have made some progress. Because its second hand I don't have an original manual, and the pdf manual that I downloaded refers to something printed on the outside of the manual so I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

I found that if I press the "cv gate ch" while in utility mode, it comes up as "C.h" and I can get the correct setting to get some sort of out of tune signal. If I press that button twice, it shows up as "C.t" and I can then scroll through a variety of tuning settings which give a range of results including something which sounds accurate in a parallel way but a semitone flat. I managed to get it working by selecting one of these settings but then using the master tune knob on the MS20 to tune it.

This is a bit annoying because then when I go back to using the MS20 by itself, I have to retune it down to where it was...

Any suggestions on how to make it work so the Cv signal is tuned the same as the synth normally? Usually it has very stable tuning, and it'd be good to be able to tune it and leave it....
Dustin McLean
www.dustinmclean.com
rafu1210

Postby Futureman » Sat May 29, 2010 4:26 pm

rafu1210 wrote:This is a bit annoying because then when I go back to using the MS20 by itself, I have to retune it down to where it was...

In the grand scheme of things, turning the tuning knob after you uplug the CV & Gate in's on your MS-20 is not r e a l l y that a big step.. but yes annoying.

there could be a option in the bass station to offset this approx semitone out.... or it may be the MS-20 thats out of calibration.

To get any further to the bottom of this, you'll need a multimeter , some tools and a bit of time..
(Maybe a Hammer and a few vodka's
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby no-fi » Sat May 29, 2010 11:19 pm

super bass station is a pretty crap CV converter. no offset adjust or scale adjust (and on mine, 1v/oct wasn't even 1v/oct.... and there isn't even an internal trimmer to fix that!) aah well.. what to expect from a free feature on a synth I suppose?

buy a kenton pro solo mkII if you want a really good single CV converter... or buy a pro2000 and make use of all the awesomeness the 6 extra aux outs would give you with an ms-20!
My name is Julian Higginson and I approve of this message.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Sun May 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Or get this little beauty, I did.....

http://www.moogmusic.com/controllers/?s ... t_id=21141
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Return to Vintage Synth Forum