Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shhhh

Postby lonearranger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:45 am

Hey Mike,

There are many days left for ebay frenzy to take the bargain bit out of the picture.

If you are interested in the wurli (which you should be), check that it has the legs and sustain pedal - there is no mention in listing or pics. there are aftermarket replacements, but they could cost you 500-1K to buy and ship. You should also be prepared to recap, the volume of the piano becomes lower than the noise. You could probably do it yourself, but could cost up to $500 to get done. Also the factory power plug is not a standard one, so you might need to install an IEC plug. Then there is the action, which might need to be tweaked. Are all the tines there? All things to factor into the bargain....

Once all that stuff is sorted though, you end up with a very sweet and unique instrument - and the 200a is probably the flagship in terms of collectability and looks great in photos.

Cheers
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby rachelp » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:39 am

There is a F.I.Z.M.O on the bay right now, I really want. But I don't have room for it
and should not spend the money. But it's a F.I.Z.M.O !

rachel
rachelp

Postby Futureman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:15 am

lonearranger wrote:There are many days left for ebay frenzy to take the bargain bit out of the picture.

If you are interested in the wurli (which you should be),

It was more about the catagory it is sitting in.. And me trying to rid myself of my ebay addiction.. I've got an Oddy & recently sold my Wurli.

So true... buying old gear can mean buying other crap to keep it alive.. but for me, thats half the fun. I look at the gear in my studio, and I'm proud of all the equipment I've got that I bought for cheap, and resurrected it to not only mint electrical condition, but mint physical. Sometimes it's out of my league, so I chuck it at Steve Jones's direction.. but those times are becoming less and less.

Cheers
Mike

50 mins to go on these.. I feel sorry for the person who bought shares in recent hardware samplers. pity, as these are kickers.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

Once again.. wrong catagory.
Last edited by Futureman on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Futureman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:25 am

rachelp wrote:There is a F.I.Z.M.O on the bay right now, I really want. But I don't have room for it
and should not spend the money. But it's a F.I.Z.M.O !

Yea, I never heard one of those.. transwave innit? One of the last things ensoniq put out IIRC.

Some people really like em, I think because they don't sound like other things... would be cool to take for a spin tho.

Regards
Mike
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby RustyO » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:00 pm

rachelp wrote:There is a F.I.Z.M.O on the bay right now, I really want. But I don't have room for it and should not spend the money. But it's a F.I.Z.M.O !

I'll be bidding on that... just becasue it's a FIZMO!

Never spent some serious time on one, and it looks my kind of thing being all weird and estoric.

If I win, I'll keep you in mind if I sell...if I do.
Rusty O'Hara
Likes kittens, dislikes the giant ball of fire in the sky and knows for a fact that there is a rabbit in the moon.
RustyO

Postby no-fi » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:27 pm

.....I don't get the current FIZMO obsession I'm seeing in forums.

I remember when they came out, and I played with one in a shop. utter crap.
On top of that they have a design fault with the power supply that destroys the main PCB....

seriously - not worth owning.

if you want something random and different to play with, you could do a hell of a lot more with a kawai K5000. and they sound a lot better. and they're a heap cheaper.
:-bd
My name is Julian Higginson and I approve of this message.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby harry » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:30 am

mike,
far out - those samplers went for a bit less than the $6k they cost new.... $300odd bucks....

as for the ARP - looks really good... but i had to ask about the condition and - i'm wondering what 'the adsr doesnt have much effect on the filter' means..... bid accordingly....
and - no cv/gate....?

looks mint and clean apart from that though..

while we're on the subject of gear.... i know there is a clavinet with my name on it with one of you turtlerockers.... put me out of my misery and sell it to me!!!!

h.a.r.r.y.a.r.v.a.n.i.t.i.s
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Futureman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:18 am

harry wrote:as for the ARP - looks really good... but i had to ask about the condition and - i'm wondering what 'the adsr doesnt have much effect on the filter' means..... bid accordingly....
and - no cv/gate....?

Hmmm. I thought only Rev1's didn't come with CV & Gate's as stock.. Hell.. it's a 1v/octave synth. I can't be too hard to sort out.

As I think has been discussed around here.. there are not any parts that you can't source for a Arp Oddy.. Might have a little bit of digging for some, but they are out there.

I do like messing around on my oddy. It's like a calculator with levers. :-B
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby AMAC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:52 am

Talk of the FIZMO - I had one for a while , bought it because of the hype - sold it not long after. It was OK but there are many better synths out there. Someone mentioned he K5000 which I would agree with. The FS1R is similar but better too. The FIZMO is OK for a few hundred dollars but they are fetching crazy prices now. my 2c.YMMV IMHO etc etc.
AMAC

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Futureman wrote:Hmmm. I thought only Rev1's didn't come with CV & Gate's as stock.. Hell.. it's a 1v/octave synth. I can't be too hard to sort out...

Some late production Mk1's had the black and gold colour scheme, I reckon this could be one of them perhaps.
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby RustyO » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:50 am

That Fizmo went above my curiosity cost... still wouldn't mind a decent play on one sometime.
Rusty O'Hara
Likes kittens, dislikes the giant ball of fire in the sky and knows for a fact that there is a rabbit in the moon.
RustyO

Postby no-fi » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:23 am

I think fizmo is definitely one of those synths that is better to learn about while playing on one that someone else has paid for..... (at today's prices!)
:-bd

if you're interetsed in transwaves, there's an ASR-10R on ebay at the moment. OK, no knobs, but it's a very classic sounding bit of gear, and you can use the transwave function with your own sampled sounds.
My name is Julian Higginson and I approve of this message.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum