Prophet VS - Opinions?

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Prophet VS - Opinions?

Postby Futureman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:10 am

Anyone out there spent much time with one of these?

I listen to the youtube clips, and they don't really impress me that much.. which is odd, because parts of me thing this synth should be awesome.

Parts of me want to go out and buy one, (Does anyone have one here locally they want to sell) the other says it's too pretty sounding and kinda like a Roland D-50 (Which I have)
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Prophet VS - Opinions?

Postby lonearranger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:52 am

I believe the korg wavestation was the next generation of this machine. I have the plug in version of this, and it does some nice pads and texture stuff. The wave sequencing stuff is kind of interesting, and an area where the d50 doesn't go, though I think the wavesequencing was only in the korg. I think I also had a freeware VST of the VS at one stage. Guess the VS would make a nice addition to a collection, but perhaps there are more fun things out there to spend your money on.

Cheers
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby Futureman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm not a NIN fan, but I've read that Trent uses / used the Prophet VS quiet a bit.. and the sounds it's referenced to are not exactly lovely evolving textures.
I'm probably more interested in the sonic squawk and ballsy choppy aliasing sounds it can generate.

Nymo, in your 100 years of keyboard experience, you owned one? lol.

I guess the thing that the Prophet VS has spades over the Wavestation is it's CEM analogue filters. Not exactly the best filter ever, but not bad either.

Cheers
Mike
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby NYMo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi there,

Ha Ha...I never owned a VS but have played one....I was a little underwhelmed for the money.

The Wavestation is my favourite all time synth and has ALL the VS waveforms in it...I still use my WS Ex in my
live gig setup, even today..and have the software version on one of the computers.
I have had a few keyboard vers, 2 x AD (which are the best imnsho) and a couple of SR's which have all the Roms inbuild.
The most amazing ethereal pads out there (Ok..Hartmann Neuron:)
But no filter res..not a problem, use something else.

VS says SCI Prohet on the lid and that means its worth something(depending on price)
YMMV

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:05 pm

I owned a Prophet VS for a while. I liked it quite a bit.
Not a fan of the Wavestation myself. the advantage of the VS is a bit more analogue feel, and more reliance on textures and timbres, less on rhythmic sequences (in the Wavestation).
I can't imagine any plug-in matching the actual thing, although I do think the actrual synth is over priced.
When I looked at the unobtanium parts and how many went into the VS, I sold it and had better sleeps.
If it had regular and easy to replace spare parts I would have one again tomorrow.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Futureman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Cheers for the reviews, it's helped.

Personally, the Rare CEM5530 etc doesn't scare me too much.. I mean, say you had a 5 year old Virus, and it's CPU died.. you'd practically be in the same boat.. at least there is a workaround with the CEM5530 involving making up a equivalent circuit, tho, thats not for the faint hearted.

Regards
Mike
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:41 pm

There are various other CEM's and DACS to consider.
The joystick and LCD are 'sold out' at Wine Country.
Personally I had problems with my joystick twice. It's very, very easily damaged.

I do know VS lovers who've never had an issue.
It's a great synth IMO.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby RustyO » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:38 pm

NYMo wrote:The Wavestation is my favourite all time synth and has ALL the VS waveforms in it...

Just a FYI, the DSI Evolver family also has the ROM preset waveshapes 32-126 from the Prophet VS in them
Rusty O'Hara
Likes kittens, dislikes the giant ball of fire in the sky and knows for a fact that there is a rabbit in the moon.
RustyO

Return to Vintage Synth Forum