AWA 6G51160 preamp

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

AWA 6G51160 preamp

Postby retrovox » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:03 pm

Got a couple of AWA 6G51160 preamps to restore. Anyone familier with these? Forum and Google search finds nothing.

According to the book there are several types, 5G51160, 6G51160, 7G51160, 8G51160, 9G51160 and 10G51160

They use the same basic chassis but differ in impedances and some other details.

The preamps use two 6SJ7GT valves in two different triode connections. The first stage has the plate earthed as shield for low noise operation.

Triode connection of 6AU6 pentodes are described in http://retrovox.com.au/6AU6pAWV.pdf

Pics here http://retrovox.com.au/AWA6G51160/

Attempting to post a pic but get this message: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

David Crittle
David Crittle
retrovox

Re: AWA 6G51160 preamp

Postby rick » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:06 pm

i have never seen them dave but they look like they are worth the time to get going again
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby retrovox » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:08 pm

David Crittle
retrovox

Postby Alastair Reynolds » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:33 am

Hi dave, I don't have anything on the preamps or limiter, I have a later model preamp using 9 pin valves instead of octals, but no documentation. I do however have a complete manual for the consolette and it's power supply and monitor amp. I have s/n 14 consolette, a touch older than yours, would you like me to make you a copy ? Drop me a line, I'd be most happy to help get another one going. I am doing a visit to some of our older regional transmitter sites in the next few weeks,a veritable treasure trove of forgotten broadcast relics so I'll look out for more info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer
Master of the Dark Arts (Broadcast)
Alastair Reynolds
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Alastair Reynolds » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:45 am

Shall do , I know I have a lot of AWA BIG-1 limiters still in service at the AM sites, you just can't kill them, that and a bunch of Byer/Rola 77 decks.
I'm starting on site upgrades and rebuilds of PIE (Program Input Equipment) racks and solid state transmitters to replace the old valve transmitters. This mainly for energy efficiency reasons, an 87% efficient SS transmitter that runs cool as opposed to a 30% efficient Valve TX that require a lot of cooling. About 1/4 of the cost to run and you don't have to swap out the valves every 3 months- Very expensive and they have a tendency to let go after a lightning strike and then the plates catch fire and it all turns to poo....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer
Master of the Dark Arts (Broadcast)
Alastair Reynolds
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby retrovox » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:19 am

Alastair Reynolds wrote:Hi dave, I don't have anything on the preamps or limiter, I have a later model preamp using 9 pin valves instead of octals, but no documentation. I do however have a complete manual for the consolette and it's power supply and monitor amp. I have s/n 14 consolette, a touch older than yours, would you like me to make you a copy ? Drop me a line, I'd be most happy to help get another one going. I am doing a visit to some of our older regional transmitter sites in the next few weeks,a veritable treasure trove of forgotten broadcast relics so I'll look out for more info

Thanks Alistair, any info on the consolette would be very much appreciated. I couldn't find a model or serial number on my unit. It uses EF86 and 6AU6 valves.

Feel free to call in to my warehouse if your travels take you anywhere near Wagga Wagga.

I'll send you a PM with my contact details.

David Crittle
David Crittle
retrovox

Postby walding » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Good to see you posting here Dave.....

Take care eh
Mark Ludwig

SHould of been a drummer
walding
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Milo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Alistair, I recognise those big ceramic transmission valves: I used to have the job at AWA of rebuilding the filaments with an arc welder.
When they were put back together and the vacuum process began, it was good seeing the old ammeter needle climb up to 300 amps, but rather disconcerting knowing that the operator was an ex-butcher from Oberon, who knew zilch about electronics, but knew where the needle was supposed to stop.
It was an interesting place, with glass blowers, zinc and chrome platers (a lot of bumper bars went through those trays) and vacuum machines, and all the machinery was pre-war - mostly treadle-operated.
John Summers
Milo

Postby EvLoutonian » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Hey David!

Not sure if this is relevant anymore, but I have found a manual for those G51160 pre-amps.

Let me know if you want, and I can scan up some pages for you.

Cheers!
Evan.
(:
Evan Lorden, Well Worn Workshops, Melbourne
EvLoutonian

Return to The Turtlerock Forum