kick drum size

Let's talk about kits and mics, new and old. What are you using? What do you want? What's the difference?

Moderators: ChrisW, rick, Mark Bassett

Re: kick drum size

Postby Drumstruck » Mon May 30, 2011 11:31 am

Kurt wrote:Maybe the Sonor base range is pricey but I don't think their top of the line stuff is that different to other "custom shop" type kits. I know a drummer here in Canberra who bought a top of the line kit from them, he had to wait several months while they actaully built it, it was finished in the colour he chose. I think it was around $9k all up, 2 x 24" and 5 toms (no snare I think).

Yes, the waiting time is not unusual.... I've been waiting since October for my latest Gretsch kit - due in June....
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 30, 2011 11:37 am

Kurt wrote:Maybe the Sonor base range is pricey but I don't think their top of the line stuff is that different to other "custom shop" type kits.

Is top of the line Sonor 'custom shop''?
I'm thinking N&C and Craviotto.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Jonathan Kristian » Mon May 30, 2011 11:50 am

Yeah i got a super deal on my Sonor Designer, got it virtually brand new (4 toms and the kik) with heaps of brand new top of the range gilbratar and sonor harware (including stool and hi-hat stand) and hardcases for everything for $5K shipped to my door. Couldnt pass it up.

I think drums, probably more than any other instrument, really does start and end with the player themselves (not just playing ability but also tuning ability!). When a great drummer plays on my kit it sounds incredible and its near impossible to get a bad sound coming through the monitors. When a not so good player is on it, it really takes alot of effort and more often than not sample replacing so make them sound the way I want.

Nothing gives me more pleasure or more frustration and aggravation than recording drums so im pretty excited about Rick adding this section to the forum!
Jonathan Kristian
Jonathan Kristian

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 30, 2011 1:02 pm

I agree about the player.
Also, most modern drums are so well made.
Almost every mainstream, contemporary kit can sound killer when played and recorded well. I've even heard many 'budget' kits perform well under those scenarios.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Kurt » Mon May 30, 2011 1:35 pm

No idea, I used custom shop as a generic term for the flash ones..

ChrisW wrote:
Kurt wrote:Maybe the Sonor base range is pricey but I don't think their top of the line stuff is that different to other "custom shop" type kits.

Is top of the line Sonor 'custom shop''?
I'm thinking N&C and Craviotto.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Yeah, I'm just saying that if I was going to spend between $5k and $10k on drums, I would probably buy from a 'custom shop' than a mainstream manufacturer. In fact, I have.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The Tasmanian » Mon May 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Most 24 kicks that I have recorded have been really hard to get a good note from.
I always feel like they need a tunnel (which I dont particularly like)
I always thought that the huge explosion of air was part of the problem - although if going for a roomy sound a 24 fills the space nicely if you are not wanting a drier sound
The ones that really did sing were thin shell (Russell from You Am I has a killer sounding 24)
EG : every 24inch Rogers BD I've recorded from the 70's onward has been yuk.
22 - or 20 inch (or even smaller) is so much easier to record.
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Linear » Tue May 31, 2011 10:49 pm

My favourite size kick is a 22".

Personally I think it's alot to do with the depth of the kick too, not just the diameter. I've got a 24" Slingerland kick, but it's a really narrow 14". I don't find it to be any 'bigger' sounding than the Ludwig I have which is a 22" by 16" (i think...)

I've recorded a Gretsch roundbadge 20" x 16" kick which felt like it had ample bottom end and punch - amazing sound. Worst kick I've ever recorded/heard was a DW 20" that was also the deepest kick drum I've ever seen - like 26" or possible even more. Sounded like a beach ball, in the worst possible way.

Chris
Chris Vallejo
Linear Recording
http://www.linear-recording.com.au
Linear
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Previous

Return to Recording Drums?