By The Way.....

Let's talk about kits and mics, new and old. What are you using? What do you want? What's the difference?

Moderators: ChrisW, rick, Mark Bassett

By The Way.....

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 30, 2011 10:01 pm

I like to watch non-drummers drumming.
The trouble with drummers is that they hear music from a drumming perspective.
When non-drummers drum, they only play what they think sounds right for the music.
They aren't concerned where the fills go, or what type of fill.
I seem to have worked a lot with artists who spend more time playing my drums than me.
It can be an education, because they'll play a fill after a line of vocal, even if it's on bar seven.
Or switch from hi-hat to ride half way through a chorus.
They usually groove like hell, and often play quite lightly.
I guess the other side to this is drummers who play bass or guitar. These guys say they never knew what was important about drumming until they were trying to play bass with another drummer.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: By The Way.....

Postby Ausrock » Mon May 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Damn...........you wouldn't want to be watching me try and drum.............couldn't play the bloody things to save my life :(
ChrisO.....I think. Oh, and F*#K Google, ask me!
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chris H » Mon May 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Of my 5 boys 3 play an instrument.The oldest Ben, is a drummer, and no slouch, Jesse is a mighty fine articulate guitarist, and the youngest Dylan, I describe as a showman. His first instrument was guitar,and he doesnt play technically as well as Jesse. He also drums but not as comprehensively well as Ben. And he sings. It's a real education watching him because he just has something about his playing that complements the performance in a unique and vibey way.
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby danander11 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:32 pm

Can be fun I suppose... but today it was excruciating. Guy wanted something on drums that he couldn't communicate very well.. I thought I had it on the two floors and kick with a flammed snare on 4... He goes.. "No, no, no... let me show you.." He sits down and proceeds to do exactly what I had done, only on one floor, (and VERY badly), he looks up and asks.. "you got any bigger sticks?...." :-w I politely said no and said that I understood what he wanted..

guitar players...
Danny Anderson
danander11

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 31, 2011 10:04 am

Funny.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby DwaneHollands » Tue May 31, 2011 10:21 am

ChrisW wrote:I like to watch non-drummers drumming.

Haha, you'd be bent over laughing if you saw me. If I'm bored I try experimenting playing the drums. I was trying to play a 6/8 piece to a click the other day. Man that was frustrating. Just when I think I'm in, I'm out again. And trying to figure out when to roll or how to roll.

Listening back is painful...(if you're in time for 1 beat, does that count as playing in time ;)
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kalkman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 pm

ChrisW wrote:I guess the other side to this is drummers who play bass or guitar. These guys say they never knew what was important about drumming until they were trying to play bass with another drummer.

i'm pretty sure that for a long time i sucked on bass but i didn't realise until i started playing drums, at which point i became a much better bassist, only to then realise what a shitty drummer i was :D
ryan kalkman
kalkman

Return to Recording Drums?