adding a console...

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

adding a console...

Postby what_noise? » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:01 am

Hi,
Ive been offered a trade of some of my gear for a yamaha rm1608 console, just wanting to know what to look for when i go to check it out and if anyone has used one of these/ has any opinions on it?
im only using at home for my own and mates recordings so i dont need anything to flash but want something not to noisy and better than my soundcard pre's. Also just want to try my hand at mixing on a console.

so really just looking for opinions about the mixer, if its a good deal (trading about $400-500 worth of gear) and just anything else to consider when adding a console to my setup. Ive had no experience with one before.

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oliver Horn
Perth
what_noise?

Re: adding a console...

Postby stosostu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:09 am

The RM1608 has been my main console for many years, connected to my Scully 280 1" eight track. IMO a great console with some interesting features I haven't seen anywhere else. The EQs are pretty good, maybe not Neve, but more than sufficient for most recording. I have never had an issue with mine in over 20 years, so I'm not sure what to look for in the way of faults. The channel strips come out individually and are easy to work on and the built in patch bay makes life very easy. If I could get another one for <$1000 I'd jump on it and make a 32 in 16 board that would never leave my studio.
Bob Charman - Stockport Sound, SA
The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends..........
stosostu
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.