Does anyone........

Let's talk about kits and mics, new and old. What are you using? What do you want? What's the difference?

Moderators: ChrisW, rick, Mark Bassett

Re: Does anyone........

Postby kalkman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:18 pm

speaking as a young guy who's spent more of his time on earth on front of a computer than he has spent being asleep, i love going to outboard gear even if only for the tactile aspect of knobs and switches. but it did take a bit of adapting to learn to trust my ears as opposed to the visual benefits (or otherwise) of plugins with detailed metering, microsecond accurate controls and visible EQ curves
ryan kalkman
kalkman

Postby Chris H » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 pm

kalkman wrote:speaking as a young guy who's spent more of his time on earth on front of a computer than he has spent being asleep, i love going to outboard gear even if only for the tactile aspect of knobs and switches. but it did take a bit of adapting to learn to trust my ears as opposed to the visual benefits (or otherwise) of plugins with detailed metering, microsecond accurate controls and visible EQ curves

I often wonder how accurate the metering on plugins is and I'm fairly sure what you see is not what you get with the visible eq curves. This really hit me when i first saw the mixes a mate puled on a Yamah digital console. The visible curves would be way over eqed sounds but didn't sound as over eq'd as they appeared unless the PA was heavily eq'd.
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby AnthonyMF » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:59 am

Chris H wrote:
kalkman wrote:speaking as a young guy who's spent more of his time on earth on front of a computer than he has spent being asleep, i love going to outboard gear even if only for the tactile aspect of knobs and switches. but it did take a bit of adapting to learn to trust my ears as opposed to the visual benefits (or otherwise) of plugins with detailed metering, microsecond accurate controls and visible EQ curves

I often wonder how accurate the metering on plugins is and I'm fairly sure what you see is not what you get with the visible eq curves. This really hit me when i first saw the mixes a mate puled on a Yamah digital console. The visible curves would be way over eqed sounds but didn't sound as over eq'd as they appeared unless the PA was heavily eq'd.

Yep! I try to trust them as little as possible, though Izotope Alloy's plugin curves sound pretty accurate. But that plugin really needs a button in the EQ window to turn the spectrogram on and off. It can be really distracting. I pretty much try to ignore the stock Pro Tools EQ displays and the Waves renaissance stuff, but I only really use the PT EQ's for the 6dB per oct LPF. That guy is wicked.
Anthony Manning-Franklin
www.MidasTouchStudios.com.au
AnthonyMF

Previous

Return to Recording Drums?