Blacet modular users

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Re: Blacet modular users

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:01 pm

It depends.
I'm mostly using a DI (albeit built into my vintage mic/pre's).
Serge has an amazing Resonant EQ.
I actually think the Serge system is one of the best for audio mangling.
I use mine in conjunction with Modcan.

First thing I would do in your position is get the best audio input modules you can find.
For example, the audio input on the Arp 2600 is capable of very creamy colouration and distortion, much different to mic/pre distortion and colouration, and easier to achieve with the Arp.
My Buchla also has a great audio input.
A good audio input can also add triggers and envelopes based on the audio coming in, that can be very useful when controlling the other (esoteric ) modules.
As I said, I prefer the larger sized modules (5U and banana) but I think the greater number of 'out there' audio processing modules is in Euro, unless you spring big $ for Serge and Buchla.
I use an Analogue Systems 'Comb Filter', which is a kind of short delay capable of weird flanging fx.
The metasonix stuff would definitely be a plus for guitar and drum processing.
Analogue Systems again has a sampling delay module where you can degrade the audio with lower sample rates and bit crushing.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby NYMo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi there,

I have to submit to Steve's good taste, as I have a Dotcom 66 space modular as well !
I added a Cynthia Sawtooth Animator which makes a single osc sound like 8 osc and an EMS Synthi filter from SuitNtie Guy.

Another company I like is MOTM whose modules can be incorporated in a Dotcom system (small power adaptor)

Ross Healy on this list is a total modular head and has Serge, Buchla etc...waiting for him to chime in.

Cheers
John NYMO Nyman
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:23 am

Chris,
You know you can mix and match brands?
You can effectively mix anything, with the right powered enclosures and cabling adapters etc...
The easiest would be Eurorack, where I think (correct me on this) you can install any maker's module into any Euro rack.
But you could own 6 Euro modules in their own rack and 6 DotCom modules and easily cable between them (min-jack to 1/4" adapter or cable). You can also of course mix DotCom with Macbeth, Modcan B and MOTM without adapters, but they probably all need a separate psu and enclosure.
In the Euro (mini-jack) format I ran a large system with Doepfer, Analogue Systems, plus vintage Roland 100M and an Arp 2600. Now I run an integrated (banana cable) system including Serge, Modcan, Synton Fenix and Cyndustries.
The beauty is the modularity of modular systems.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The Tasmanian » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:25 am

Chris - that's exactly what I'm thinking.
I am thinking I may start with a small dotcom setup as a modular synth/generator - and a larger Euro rack for processing - as there is so much great stuff available - and its only going to get better as all the freaks keep making this amazing shit.
In the meanwhile I'll look into Serge and others.
Utube has been a real bonus here as I can research and listen to all these modules.
So far the audio processing modules that have got me really exited are:

Harvestman - Polivox vcf
Harvestman - malgorithm
Cwejman RES-4 Kick Drum Quad VC resonator
Doepfer A124 Wasp Filter
A-Sys - BODE Frequency Shifter
A-Sys - Vocal Phase Filter
Make Noise PhonoGene
Make Noise - QMMG
‪Doepfer A-149-1 RCV‬
WMD Geiger Counter
Doepfer A-188-2 Tapped BBD Module
4ms rotating clock divider
4 ms rotating clock breakout
Analog Systems RS35 Pitch to voltage convertor
Analog systems RS 140 Midi/CV/Trigger convertor
Doepfer - Modular Vocoder System

I'm sure there will be much more ..... I've gotta sell some shit.
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:43 am

Who would have thought that the early 21st century would be the golden age of the modular monophonic synthesiser?
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:48 am

The Tasmanian wrote:I'm sure there will be much more ..... I've gotta sell some shit.

Another bonus of modular synthesis is once you reach critical mass with as few modules as possible, you can stop and consider your next move.
The basic modules for a synth voice are..
1 oscillator, 1 envelope and 1 vca or output, a filter is pretty much obligatory of course.
The basic modules for audio processing are..
1 audio input and 1 audio output.
Add modifiers like filters, delays, bit crushers and flangers etc to taste.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The Tasmanian » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:27 pm

This is certainly the way to go.
After owning about 10 synths over many years, I really like only certain elements/functions/sounds of particular synths.
I get stuck with what they cant do (especially with audio).
Modular is way more flexible sonically - and a synth can mutate over time adding modules/deleting what is becoming redundant.
Apart from having a great sounding fat analog synth to play with - to be able to use these filters etc in a mix context, having them interact with mic pre's/eq's/vocals/distortion on guitars/CV tracking of melody/triggering analog tones off drums/rhythmic gating-arpeggios/ parallel processing/modules through valve compressors/sidechaining etc.......................................................................................................................................
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Just saw an ad on a forum from a guy in Tasmania.
He's selling a Wiard System.
I don't know a great deal about Wiard, but it is highly regarded and somewhat tricky to get hold of as it's all made by one guy in America. It's certainly more out there and less run of the mill than much of the stuff we've been talking about so far.
http://www.wiard.com/modular/modular.html
I'll pass on the details if you are interested.

AD:
I have 5 Wiard 300 series modules, a Wiard rack & a Blacet ps500 for sale.
Ideally i'd like to sell it as a system, but may part out modules.
Everything is in mint condition, never gigged. Built for me by Grant about 2 years ago.
1 Classic VCO
1 Waveform City
1 Envelator
1 Mixolator
1 Wogglebug
AU$4,000 (US$4,200) the lot + postage + paypal fees.
Seperate module prices can be negotiated.
A bank transaction is ok for the lot, as it is cheaper than paypal fees.
Will ship anywhere. System is in Tasmania, Australia
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The Tasmanian » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:18 pm

Its all a bit early for my wallet......
strange people live in Tasmania
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Hybrid88 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:51 pm

The Tasmanian wrote:...strange people live in Tasmania

Confirmed :p
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby no-fi » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 am

The Tasmanian wrote:I could have say a snare drum in pootools, and instead of reaching for a external vintage eq, I could use say the Polivox or a Wasp filter as my eq?
Also - would the output of these filters be line level? - so I could go back into a vintage mic pre/eq for further tweaking - or do I need a DI ?

you really want an input module. modulars usually run around +/-5V signal level. while you can put line level in to a modular synth filter and get line level out, you won't be driving it very hard, and I doubt you'll be happy with the sound quality or the noise level.

The doepfer A119 will not only give you input gain even for instruments and mics, but will also give you envelope following and a signal present gate. Yes you could probably get by with a mixer module that has a bunch of gain in the input and output, but the CV signals you get from the A119 are also very useful. Maybe look at getting a couple, even if you are processing one audio stream. Just having the ability to send other audio in to modulate the signal path would be cool. There are other manufacturers that make input modules, but doepfer is the standard still.

The RS35 is not an input module in the normal sense of the term. It's awesome in its own way but does not have audio out. or an input gain control.

Speaking of CV signals from your input module... With the modules you listed so far you're mostly looking at audio processing. The fun with modulars to me, is what you can do with control voltages. you will want voltage controlled LFOs, envelopes, slew limiting, and a bunch of CV utility stuff for things like inverting and offsetting and switching or crossfading CVs. That's what will make this more than just a glorified rack of stomp boxes.

In terms of output levels... well again, you'll have a +/-5V signal at the end... my doepfer A131 VCA has a very handy output volume pot. I planned to make a simple pad circuit to go into my soundcard, but no need as long as I stick with using that VCA output.

PS, if you want moog sounding, well macbeth do have eurorack modules.... they have a dual oscillator module and a backend filter module that together give you a full 2 osc monosynth.. and have more separate smaller modules coming real soon now.

PPS, a SEM patch panel is an awesome little buddy for a small eurorack system.
My name is Julian Higginson and I approve of this message.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Good call on the SEM.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The Tasmanian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks Julian - SEM patch panel is a really good pointer
I'm planning a pair Doepfer's A19s so I can be splitting and double processing 2 sources to CV
And totally agree with you on the CV LFO etc stuff - Totally into rhythmic processing (being doing it for decades now) like getting drum mics to trigger patterns to alter rooms/sounds/filters/gates/sequences etc etc etc.
That's the idea
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jkhuri44 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:57 pm

check out the 4 in 4 out harvestman guitar pedal interface module...

as much interesting modular gear there is, an equal amount of aaaaawesome guitar pedalage...

can imagine ganging modular processing up, with some zvex distortions and what not...would be amazing :D
Jamil Khuri
Amusement & Audio Engineer
"it's not awesome unless its 240bpm with distorted 909 kicks!"
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby The Tasmanian » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Another top idea - thanks!
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Futureman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey Chris.

I just sold my SH-101 to an importer of Euro Modular stuff. Nice guy.

If you want I can get you in touch with him.. He may be able to give you a good deal on some stuff.

(Then again, Ebay may be the winner in this game)
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby no-fi » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:00 pm

The Tasmanian wrote:Thanks Julian - SEM patch panel is a really good pointer
I'm planning a pair Doepfer's A19s so I can be splitting and double processing 2 sources to CV
And totally agree with you on the CV LFO etc stuff - Totally into rhythmic processing (being doing it for decades now) like getting drum mics to trigger patterns to alter rooms/sounds/filters/gates/sequences etc etc etc.
That's the idea

there's a lot of interesting modulation sources you can play with.
I have a doepfer A143-1 which is 4 AR envelopes with normalled patching so the end of release signal triggers off the next one... the cool thing is, you can plug in a gate from the A119 into one module, and then you'll get a chain of adjustable ARs firing off in time with the signal you're putting in. Add in that each one can also be set to LFO mode, where it's triggered by it's own end of release signal, as well as normalled to the previous one, and you can get some fun signals from that module.

Another really cool module that is coming soon-ish is the 4ms pingable envelope generator. I didn't even bother looking up what it was, until I discovered that by pingable, they meant that it takes its basic timebase from a rhythmic gate input (or pushbutton) and then you have a normal gate in to fire it off, and CV control over attack and release, but all tied back to the fundamental timeframe that it's pinged with. so it's kinda like a synced LFO, but it's an envelope. Nothing else like that I've ever heard of.

Maths is also very cool. I got one from equinox-oz the other day. it's basically a dual voltage controlled slew generator, but you can use it as an ASR or AR envelope, or push a switch to make it an LFO, plus has attenuating inverting outs and a mixer and a max circuit, plus has an output->AR slope feedback circuit built in to make your outputs adjustable from log through linear to exponential.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby jkhuri44 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:02 pm

^ all that stuff makes my head asplode!

although...watching Richard Devine press play on a bunch of modules and have them make music automatically is friggin insane....WANT!!

also, Make Noise Rene....looks the business.
Jamil Khuri
Amusement & Audio Engineer
"it's not awesome unless its 240bpm with distorted 909 kicks!"
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby no-fi » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Futureman wrote:
(Then again, Ebay may be the winner in this game)

I find ebay prices expensive, and not a lot of eurorack comes through ebay australia... so you pay a lot of shipping too.

Check the Australian distributors. Elby designs does a bunch of ken stone/CGS modules in built and kit form, plus is the importer for doepfer. He has really good prices - like, better than some 2nd hand prices from europe and the US. plus quite a few bits in stock and local shipping.

Equinox oz is also awesome - they have a bunch of other modular manufacturers, very good supply of local stock and a studio you can go to and have a play with different stuff... and the prices are also good. They were my cheapest overall option to buy a maths and I had it in 2 days instead of a few weeks.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Futureman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:32 pm

no-fi wrote:Equinox oz is also awesome - they have a bunch of other modular manufacturers, .

Why, thats who I met the other day.. Flo, who imports as Equinox Oz.. Nice guy.
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Previous

Return to Vintage Synth Forum