DIY speaker stand designs??

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

DIY speaker stand designs??

Postby Text_Edifice » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:31 am

Hi All,

I know this isn't as cool and techy as some of the other projects on here but I want to build a decent set of speaker stands. I've done a bit of research and designs for these sorts of things fall into either

a) filled PVC / metal pipe / wooden oblong sandwiched between two chunks of wood ala a greek coloumn.

OR

b) some form of triangular / v shaped bracing beneath a wooden platform.

Any thoughts on what the best design for a good pair of stands would be (want cheapish material) and whether to use speaker spikes / rubber isolation pads / some cheap derivative?

Cheers.
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby chris p » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:55 am

Hey there Text-E

I googled "speaker stands diy" and came up with heaps of hits. The basic principle is to make them as heavy as feasible but have the speaker have as little as possible contact with the stand, like 3 self-tapping screws stuck up through the base. The stand should also have as little as possible contact with the floor.

Rubber pads strategically placed on the speaker underside prevents cosmetic damage.

On the other hand, you can just go for good looks! Whether the accoustic isolation helps depends a great deal on whether it is the limiting factor in your accoustic environment. Often, room treatment can deliver better improvements.

Let us all know how you go.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Text_Edifice » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:52 am

Yes I too have the power of Google :wink:

at present the cheapest / easiest option looks like a on open v style brace between two square plates. I have a friend with a limitless supply of plywood so am thinking laminated ply might be the go with a couple of sandbags packed on the bass to keep the thing in place.

How stable is the speaker while resting three screws? Do you think there's a worthwhile difference between screws / spikes and the foam isolation pads I've used in the past?
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.