drum breather holes

Let's talk about kits and mics, new and old. What are you using? What do you want? What's the difference?

Moderators: ChrisW, rick, Mark Bassett

drum breather holes

Postby rick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:12 pm

i have seen a few kits over the years with the standard breather holes enlarged , badges removed - thinking of the shell holes here not the bass drum skin but i guess its part of the topic as well
i have had people tell me to point a mike at the hole in the shell for better tom sounds

comments ..?
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Re: drum breather holes

Postby Drumstruck » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:28 pm

I'd be cautions about wind noise - you can feel the air rush out of the vent when you strike the drumskin.....
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Wiz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:12 pm

It can be very interesting micing the shell of a snare drum.....side on.

I havent seen a kitvwith modified holes in the shell.....interesting. I always assumed it was to do with resonant frequency, a bit like blowing over the top of an empty coke bottle ala jug band

Wiz
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Did a few sessions with Warne Livesey (he of Midnight Oil fame) and he swore by micing the vent on the snare.
He got a great snare sound too.
I haven't seen any kits with enlarged vents myself, except my Oaklawn Camco. It has a large hole in each tom shell.
It's not good for the acoustic drum sound IMO.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby OzDrum » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 pm

do a google image search on "Vented Snare" and there are a bunch of them out there..

there is a basic explanation here: http://www.drumjunction.com/snare_drum.html

"The vented snare came about in the 1970's when Ludwig was trying to figure out a way to make a louder marching snare drum. Through experiments they found that creating a way to let the air out of the shell faster will result in the bottom head being louder (which of course is where the snares are located)."

I haven't tried one myself - already got about 15 different snares to choose from. Although the best sounding snare I have has a 40 strand snare wire on it which just sounds magic and gives you much more of a "snare" sound from it which I presume is what the vents are attempting to do also. It would be interesting to stick a mic in front of one of the larger vents like in some of those photos though! I haven't seen any toms with enlarged holes/vents though.
Geoff Mison
PONY MUSIC
www.ponymusic.com.au
OzDrum

Postby rightintheface » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:06 am

I discovered the "snare vent" mic setup completely by accident; my own wayward drumming knocked the 57, mounted on a crappy old stand, and pointed it directly at the vent. i don't think i've moved it since, it sounded that good!

It just seems to sound exactly how the snare sounds - kind of gives a "whole picture" of the snare. However hat bleed can get worse in this position
Mitch Catterall
Down The Rabbit Hole
rightintheface

Postby Kurt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:18 am

A drummer I've recorded a few times has a snare with a vent about 1 1/2" across. A 57 pointed straight into it, about 1" out sounds great, a nice balance of stick/snare/body.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Wiz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:44 am

8)

I found it by accident as well....

I take the 57 off the mic clip and hold it in my left hand, and rotate it through an arc, to fine the best rejection point for the hi hat, and then start moving the mic around the drum, to find the sound all the time tapping on the hi hat with a drum stick with my right hand.

I wasnt watching what I was doing, and all of a sudden had a great snare sound....looked down and the 57 was to the left side of the snare, vertically, at the same height as the actual centre of the snare. I was stunned. Whoda thunkit 8).

Viva le accidents...8)

cheers

Wiz
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby GlennS » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Given the right drummer that snare can sound like a jet of steam coming out of the vent. I occasionally mic it, and when I do I use an Octava MC012. I can see (or hear) how a 57 would be good for that too. I combine it with the top snare mic, never tried it on it's own.

I've never thought to try it on toms. I will have to now though.
Glenn Santry
HeartBeat Studio

www.myspace.com/glennsantry
GlennS

Postby Drumstruck » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:03 am

Was micing up my brass snare and looking for "that sound" yesterday - trying a D11 and ended up with it just outside and 1" above the rim and pointed down at the vent at about 15 degrees off vertical - the rim click sound was the one ^:)^
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:09 am

i have just been told the breather holes are the last secret drum trick
so dont tell anybody
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby rob » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:34 pm

30 years ago I screwed a car tyre valve into a snare vent hole and pumped up the snare to make the skins slightly convex. This made the snare wires wrap smoothly across the whole skin surface, no more rattles and very snappy.
No good for micing up in this situation!
rob
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Return to Recording Drums?