Thunderbolt to PCI

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Thunderbolt to PCI

Postby Drumstruck » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:30 pm

This might interest a few here:

http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt.asp
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Thunderbolt to PCI

Postby AnthonyMF » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Oh hell yes! This will make it so much more practical to move from my Mac Pro to an iMac or some-such for audio. Which is something I've been lightly considering.

That's if this thunderbolt expansion chassis winds up being in an acceptable price range, stable, practical, etc.
Anthony Manning-Franklin
www.MidasTouchStudios.com.au
AnthonyMF

Re: Thunderbolt to PCI

Postby audioio » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:22 am

For the moment, it's vapourware.

One does see the odd chassis second-hand. I managed to snare a reasonably recent 4-slot for <$200. I would like to use it with a Macbook Pro so an ExpressCard model is the ticket. Just got a heads up on the host adaptors, though. On Sept 12, the price is going up from US$299 to $399.

Sorry, that won't help iMac owners.

Oh, and one other thing for those who don't know: you need a chassis with a Pericom bridge chip if you want to use it with an Intel Mac. Since Magma have never been good at identifying their chassis, you might have to pull the thing apart to tell, but that's no guarantee either because some of the older ones used Pericom clock chips (and they look very similar).
David Rodger
audioio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.