CP80

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

CP80

Postby Sheer Noise » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:39 pm

A friend was moving and asked if I wanted the CP80 that's been in their Garage for the last 15 years. It's now in the back of my car... anyone wanna come help me lift the bugger out!!!

On a serious note, has anyone seen these floating around lately... are they still worth something - I'm not interested in selling it, unless it's worth the same as a nice new guitar, but I am interested to know if there's many around.

Once I get a mate over I'm going to put it together and have a play and get the tuner around to tweak it up to tune.

Fun Fun.

Dave
David Sheerman
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: CP80

Postby lonearranger » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Would say they are moderately sought after, I have a watch on ebay and they rarely surface. If it is all working and has no major issues then it would be worth 1.5 to 2K. Mixmasters have one listed at around (cp70b) 2.5K and it will probably hang around for a little while. Not sure if the 88 key version is a bonus or not, as the lower notes are imposible to get in perfect tune anyway.

They are a great instrument to play - nice feel, and there is something about the vibration of the strings coming back into your hands that you dont get from digi pianos, that just makes you want to play it - even unplugged.

They sound great thru a tube amp - via a chorus and its 1985 all over again.

Cheers
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby Hookemeister » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:36 am

I've got a CP70B, best part about them is you can just sit down and play them acoustically and they sound great.

Plug them into a good amp and they'll cut thru anything. Yamaha really nailed the pickup system.

Nothing else sounds like a CP70.

Have a listen to Elvis Costello's "Every day I write the book" and you'll hear that classic eighties CP70 sound.

No way I'd trade one for a "nice new guitar"... you can buy a nice new guitar anytime.

Consider yourself blessed and keep it... or ring me up and I'll give a nice new guitar for it.

Have fun tickling the ivory's after you get over the hernia you'll get from lifting it out of the car!

Greg
Greg Hooke
Hookemeister
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby lonearranger » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:39 am

Most bizarely, there are 2 CP70B listings on Ebay AU this week.
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby AMAC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:57 pm

I've never really got the CP70/80 thing myself. I've had 2 CP70s over the years with the last one being a CP70M (MIDI). They seem to be, sort of, not one thing or the other, and take up heaps of room. Never found them capable of too much expression either. I guess they have a certain sound that has been exploited by some people and if you want that, then no substitute will do. Don't get me wrong, they're OK but not inspiring..to me. I'd rather play a real piano, Rhodes or Wurly. Having said that, I'm secretly slutting for a CP60 - upright with MIDI...anyone?
Andrew
AMAC

Postby Hookemeister » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Having said that, I'm secretly slutting for a CP60

You naughty boy!

I think they've got a heap of expression, at least acoustically, but you've got to dig into them, you need strong hands.

They have the same action as a standard Yamaha grand, main difference is no soundboard and shorter strings in the lower end.

Tell me how well did the midi work on the CP70M, I've always wondered about that.

Greg
Greg Hooke
Hookemeister
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby AMAC » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:00 pm

The MIDI worked well I remember. Don't remember any problems - I didn't use it as much as I thought I would though.
Andrew
AMAC

Postby Sheer Noise » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Well I finally set it up today and had a play... bloody beautiful!! Great feel, great sound. Ran it through a couple of different amps and couldn't fault it. Needs a bit of a tune, but it wasn't too bad.

Anyone know someone in Sydney that can do some restoration to the body? Needs a few hinges replaced and I think I'll probably get the whole thing re-tolexed before I move it into the loungeroom.

Dave.
David Sheerman
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby lonearranger » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:06 am

Talk to this guy, http://www.sydneykeyboards.com.au/ - not certain if he works on electric grands, but I did see some restore work he did on a Rhodes that looked pretty nice.
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby Sheer Noise » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:48 am

Thanks Michael... emailed.
David Sheerman
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Sheer Noise » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:10 pm

In case you're interested.... sorry about the tuning on the thing - we'd literally just set it up after getting it out of this guys storage after like 5 years or something... Can't wait to get it all restored and tuned and the electronics cleaned out. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCpDNaxB ... r_embedded

Dave.
David Sheerman
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Sheer Noise » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:22 am

I just got myself a brand new Yamaha Upright so the CP80 isn't going to be used for what I wanted it for. Anyone want to swap me for a strat? :P

Dave.
David Sheerman
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Manning » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:49 am

I love to swap you for cash - what amount are you thinking?
Manning Bartlett, Studio Laughing Duck, Glenorie NSW
http://www.studiolaughingduck.com
Manning
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Sheer Noise » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:54 am

Hoping to get around $1500 for it, but you'll have to have a look at it first. Working great, but a couple of dusty pots and the tolex isn't in great condition. Everything's there, it makes a BEAUTIFUL sound, but isn't the tidiest specimen around. :)
David Sheerman
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Manning » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:17 pm

Well the price isn't bad, but I'll have to wait at least a month. I've got other stuff which is a higher priority right now. I'll prod you in early December and see if it is still around. I've got 18 guitars but none of them are strats (and there are none I can part with either - I NEED them all LOL :)
Manning Bartlett, Studio Laughing Duck, Glenorie NSW
http://www.studiolaughingduck.com
Manning
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Sheer Noise » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:38 pm

No problem. If you want to come check it out pop me a PM on here and I'll let you know. I'm only 20 minutes from Glenorie. :)

Dave.
David Sheerman
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum