Reverb - what do you do?

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett, gigpiglet

Re: Reverb - what do you do?

Postby Lucas » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:56 pm

This is an area that I haven't really been happy with. I've kept verb to an absolute minimum for just that reason... I'd love to hear responses too!
Lucas Martin
Lucas

Postby gigpiglet » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:52 pm

well alright then....

i use 5 FX for pretty much every gig i do

1 - Snare verb
2 - toms/ ambient verb
3 - vox verb (long and short, more on this later)
4 - vox delay
5 - pitch/ anything else

my preference as to what units i choose changes depending on when in my history you are talking about/ the band/ my mood/ whats avail. but in general

1 - Yamaha Rev 500 or TC M1. its always a short plate of some description. warm plate, snare plate, etc etc. very small pre delay, and between 1.6 and 2 sec depending on the song. i do like the M1 in this place, as i can actually use 2 FX, short plate/ small room or something like that and blend with that knob on the front depending on the song.
2 - TC M1 or lexicon pretty much anything. its always a hall/ large room type thing. 2.4sec or so. and i usually EQ the return very hard, taking out a lot of top, and all the 3k area. its a dark, big verb.
3 - i actually like 2 verbs for vocals, and hence love the TC m1, cause i can blend between 2 engines with that knob. if i dont have an M1, i might want 2 lexicon anythings here (though they are very bright) i really try and avoid yamaha verb for vocals. whatever i have, i use a short plate, 1.4 or so, no pre delay, eq the return to take out the "bite" but its still sparkly and shiny. other verb is a longer room, say 2.2sec small predelay. i eq the return of this to take off the bright. then blend between the two sounds for busy songs or empty songs. i dont like the change reverb settings during a show, i think changing the lead vocal sound is disturbing - so rather blend in some more long, or some more short, rather than "change" to a long sound.
the BVs (if there are any) get the long rev sound (to sound similar to the lead) but not the short (which is close/ intimate/ up front/ everything a lead vocal should be)
4 - tap in the delay for the song, i ride it in and out on the lead vocal A LOT. catch a lot of long phrases (not as an echo, but as a help hold the note) its not something i want everyone to hear - just makes people think the singer is awesome. again - gotta know the band
5 - dont always need it, but sometimes for BVs (used to do it a lot with MGF) some pitch to fatten/ widen them. very rarely use it on the lead, but might need to if im struggling for level.

thats about it for me - those 5 do everything i need to everytime. if there are strings or piano or something else in the mix, one of the above will work for it. eg: the long vocal verb will work for piano, the short snare one for acoustic (if its needed) etc
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Lucas » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Thank you for being so thorough! I'm reassured that I can see a few concepts that I've also pursued, but even more so have been given fuel for new ideas and applications.
Lucas Martin
Lucas

Postby justin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:48 am

Pro Harmonic Passive Link -> Electro Harmonix Holy Grail -> DI = heaps of fun.
Justin Hermes
justin

Postby gigpiglet » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:07 am

justin wrote:Pro Harmonic Passive Link -> Electro Harmonix Holy Grail -> DI = heaps of fun.

that reminded me of something i used to do with MGF.
had a little pedal board, with a tube distortion and wah pedal on an aux.
send whatever you want there (often vocals in the weirder songs) and have fun!
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby justin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:02 am

Heaps better than the junk in most Adelaide FOH racks...
Justin Hermes
justin

Return to Live Sound Forum