The Beresford - doing things right

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett, gigpiglet

The Beresford - doing things right

Postby gigpiglet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 am

i mixed tim finn last night at the beresford, for those who dont know its a fairly new venue in sydney. another merivale/ hemmes giant. i went to BOTH openings back a while (the industry/ staff one showing off all the goodies, and the "public"/VIP one with the big bar tab) i must admit i wasnt super impressed.
i thought the room was set up a bit strangely, i didnt like dressing room access, or the bar in front of stage, or the mix position, or the strange delay hang.
but after mixing a show there i stand corrected.
sure the room has some challenges (more tour manager/ artist ones then sound ones) but they have tried to address them.

the pa was put together by Bruce Johnston of JAS/JPS, its all D&B, with delay hangs (though i think they need to be turned up) and outfill, all D&B wedges. patchable to multiple sends.
digidesign SC48 at FOH (mons from there unfort)
but the point is (and even when you have the money to burn it still doesnt always happen) they have done the right thing and spent were it counts.

it also has probably the best band room i have ever been in.
;-)

what are other peoples favourite venues?
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: The Beresford - doing things right

Postby Zack » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:19 pm

The Beresford is a great venue. I had a very easy show there. Good people, good attitude, good rig, cold beer.

To continue this thread, my 2 cents...

I really like the Melbourne HiFi Bar. Amazingly cool people there, makes your job heaps easier. The room feels good, somehow achieving a not too big, but not too small vibe. The PA sounds fine and EVERYTHING WORKS.
The backstage storage area might be small, but you can make it work. Just. Great atmosphere to work in. Can't wait to go back.
Zack Marshall
Zack

Postby gigpiglet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:49 pm

hey mate (yes it is zack that knows me)

totally agree with the corner melb
and would add the tivoli in brisbane

any others that people think are "stand out" in australia?
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Zack » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Agree very much with the Tivoli.

I also have a soft spot for Fowlers Live in Adelaide. Maybe not the best selection of outboard, yes it's a funny room, but the people are really nice and very helpful, great vibe. The PA pumps and the XL200 just sounds great! Plenty of room downstairs to hang out, and did I mention the people?
Zack Marshall
Zack

Postby Chris H » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:49 pm

The Espy in St Kilda has always been one of my favorite venues. I first mixed there when they had the old Hill console and it's the most punchy system I have ever worked. I have mixed there a few times since it was upgraded and It's an excellent venue but I still think It had a better sound back then. The Evlyn Is also a great small room to work in with a very capable PA.
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby gigpiglet » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:03 pm

hell i would put the espy on my worst 10 list!!!!
but each to their own..
keep them coming.
who else is touring - what do you like?
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Kurt » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:08 am

I mixed a festival ages ago at The Manning Bar, nice room, nice PA (now replaced I believe), couldn't ask for a nicer in-house crew (also gone now)

The Baldfaced Stag is cool too, mixed a couple of bands there a couple of months ago.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby colvan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:24 pm

My experience primarily lies within Melbourne venues:

Favs include:

Northcote social club - nicely suited Nexo/Midas system and acoustically treated room.
East Brunswick club - as above, same management and PA provider.
Toff - still a nice room to operate (despite the ageing Digico's controls occasionally crapping out) and sweet sounding system. Great facilities (excluding shitty load in/out).
Hifi - as previously mentioned, it all works and one of the first Melb venues to install a Digi Profile.
Order of Melbourne - Well spec'ed system that hasn't been flogged.

Least favs include:

Espy - loud and obnoxious. Shrill old PA. St Kilda.
Corner - Sure a nice room, generally great tech and facilities, but old PA and inconsistent response through out the room.

I recently relocated to Sydney, so I look forward to sussing out the venues here, meeting the local heads and teeing up a few gigs. The Sydney venues I've toured over the years seem to be better spec'ed then Melbourne, so I look forward to that too. I did have the joy of operating my usual gig, The Public Opinion Afro Orchestra at the Oxford Art Factory the other week, which was a nice PA with good headroom and the room was acoustically considered.

James Tulczyn
colvan

Return to Live Sound Forum