noise abatement/ noise plans/ DA approvals/ monitoring

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett, gigpiglet

noise abatement/ noise plans/ DA approvals/ monitoring

Postby gigpiglet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:41 pm

I have found myself typing up a number of plans lately (outdoor cinema and australian open events next year) and monitoring/ arguing the finer points with police at some recent events (changing lanes festival and sydney marathon winners line)

has anyone else here written such plans? what level of detail do you go to with things like brands?
any experience with the city of sydney "standard" (and nearly impossible to meet) requirements?
any run ins with the law at an event?
how do you monitor?
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: noise abatement/ noise plans/ DA approvals/ monitoring

Postby Drumstruck » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Another good topic Gareth - will be interesting to hear what is the norm.

There have been some articles / discussions lately regarding average level measuring and the various tools for that - I think one of them running in your laptop at a gig would be a good insurance meter for "level over time" stats.
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Tony Moffat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi Gareth,

The answer depends on what you want to do.

Are you being asked to prepare a Noise Management Plan for The Office of Environment and Heritage (what the EPA is now called) for a venue/location/event that does not have one or are you being asked as a production supplier or similar to outline how a NMP is going to be met?

A properly prepared NMP will be very detailed as to how levels are measured (detailing equipment standards and procedure), who can measure them, where they measure from and what levels are to be measured. the days of so many dB above ambient are long gone. The rules are pretty much black and white these days. All major outdoor events have this in place and most venues will have a procedure.

Tony Moffat
Tony Moffat.
Tony Moffat P/L.
Tony Moffat

Postby gigpiglet » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:05 pm

well tony - i wasn't necessarily talking about anything "particular" that i was doing... just starting a conversation on the whole thing.

as for the specifics of my work at the moment -
i have just completed a noise management plan, as an attachment to a DA application for an event next year.

last weekend i was a manager on a festival and had to meet (and subsequently ended up in an interesting conversation with an officer who didn't know how to interpret the DA that had been approved (and he had the printed copy of)

last night i was mixing at a new venue that was fined last week, and currently working to comply.

so lots of different situations (and happening more and more often) so just seeing what people are doing, experiences others are having etc.
eg: i find your "most venues will have one" point interesting.. the venue i mention above is the only one i know that does. i actually don't know one venue that has had a proper acoustic consultant write an actual plan (and put in equipment to ensure it is complied to)
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Live Sound Forum