Anyone done live sound at The Annandale?

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett, gigpiglet

Anyone done live sound at The Annandale?

Postby SNJ Studio » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi Turtlerockers
I have been asked to do the sound tomorrow night at the Annandale hotel in Sydney for a band I just finished producing an EP for. I haven't done a live mix for about 18 months :-ss should be OK.

Any tips? Any tricks to the room? How do you send stuff to the subs? I'm guessing an aux send.

How are the monitors?

Thanks for any tips, wish me luck. I get an early soundcheck so should be able to sort myself out then.

Adz
SNJ Studio

Re: Anyone done live sound at The Annandale?

Postby Ben M » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:18 am

If the mix position is still on that riser, make sure you step off it for reference. It added lots of bottom end to the mix position... step 1ft down onto the main floor and you lose it. You can spend lots of time walking around in that room, just to get away from the false spectrum at mix position (I hope they've removed that riser). An early soundcheck will do you well. FB used to be up above your head but I think that's been changed.
It's been a while since I've been there, but I used to mix in that room 2 or 3 times a week in the early 90's. Come to think of it, everything about the Annandale has probably changed around since then.
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Drumstruck » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:32 am

Hahaha - once 30 years ago...... I remember the room being pretty boomy esp. for the drummer's concert toms - I thought there was a bit of standing wave.... the desk was about 3/4 of the way back that night :-)
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby SNJ Studio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Good tips, yeah I usually am walking around the room when doing a live mix. I will keep in mind the hyped bottom end at the desk.

I've heard great mix in that room, recently saw Frenzal Rhomb and was quite impressed by the mix

Thanks for the posts
Adz
SNJ Studio

Postby gigpiglet » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:16 pm

well guess i better jump in...
the old set up with the wedges hung up and the riser in the middle of the room for FOH was in the 90s.
before matt and dan bought the place.

so - currently it is
allen and heath 2200 (i think) in major need of TLC. lots of inserts don't work, some groups don't work. channels out. etc etc
there are some ber$$$###er comps and dbx166, only some of which work
and 1 of those shitty lexicon multi effect things.
PA is a nexo alpha E system. but VERY strangely put together (its a sort of frankenstien from what was left in the factory or something.
the stack is a sub (B1-18) then a AlphaE Full range box, then a little spacer, then a EM top box (i guess this was meant to "get to the back back of the room"
there is also a extra sub each side, ON ITS SIDE under the stage.
i think this is part of the problem for the very strange bottom end in the room

thats the main thing to consider in there.
i usually take 40 or 50hz nearly the whole way out on the graph, there is something very strange going on down there.
and the mix position has very strange bass trap/ hole/ thing... def walk around. and continue to do so once there are punters in the room.. it changes a lot.

wedges are PS15 (best in the business) but very old and tired. stage changes a lot between soundcheck and gig. you loose a lot of top end, and it gets very dead. so be prepared for the artists to ask for MORE!

all the mic stands are shit. if you have a fussy artist, take at least one of your own for main vocal. (and likewise a mic that isn't beaten up beyond belief)

painted a pretty enough picture for you?
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby SNJ Studio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:39 pm

Great post man that really paints a picture of what to expect.

Taking my own Beta58 and stand.

Was going to take a distressor too.

Like many others I suppose, I am fine getting a good FOH mix, but freaking hate mixing monitors at the same time.

Thanks again for the tips.
SNJ Studio

Postby gigpiglet » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:06 pm

hey adam
wondering how your show ended up at the dale?
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby SNJ Studio » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Was the best mix I have done in a live venue.

The PA is pretty kick ass. I must admit there were no bung channels, and there was an inhouse guy (Shane) who was a top bloke that made my night so easy.

The band and all the punters have been raving about the mix. I had industry guys there come up and compliment how they got a really good vibe and suggested the band never play a show without me on the sound. I don't take praise well but these things made me feel pretty good about it.

Looks like I will be travelling as the bands engineer to Europe next year, so it has all turned out tops. Thanks for the posts guys.

Adz
SNJ Studio

Postby gigpiglet » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:49 am

awesome! can't ask for more than that..
sounds like they may have got someone good in house and looking after the system so thats great news too..
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Drumstruck » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am

There was a short article on the ABC last night, can't remember if it was the news or 7:30 report, but it had some footage of the Annandale - wonder if that was that your gig?
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Lucas » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:53 pm

SNJ Studio wrote:Was the best mix I have done in a live venue.

The PA is pretty kick ass. I must admit there were no bung channels, and there was an inhouse guy (Shane) who was a top bloke that made my night so easy.

The band and all the punters have been raving about the mix. I had industry guys there come up and compliment how they got a really good vibe and suggested the band never play a show without me on the sound. I don't take praise well but these things made me feel pretty good about it.

Looks like I will be travelling as the bands engineer to Europe next year, so it has all turned out tops. Thanks for the posts guys.

Adz

Fantastic! Best feeling in the world having a great gig. Hope to be in your positions one day!
Lucas Martin
Lucas

Postby Ben M » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Great work Adz. It just shows when your well prep'd you can have/make a really enjoyable show for everyone. Plus asking around about quirks in venues puts you on top of your game when you arrive for sound check.
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Live Sound Forum