Preamp for synths

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Preamp for synths

Postby mustgroove » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:27 am

I'm thinking about my signal chain for synth recording, and I think a preamp is next on my list... I have a Prism Orpheus as my primary audio interface, so in terms of "clean" preamps I'm pretty much covered - what I want is character & colour I guess.

Anyone have any particular suggestions? Something that's available in a 500 series module would be ideal... from what I've read, Chandler Germanium MKIIs might fit the bill?
mustgroove

Re: Preamp for synths

Postby ChrisW » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:01 am

I do often use my API 512's.
They are well priced and straight forward.
One of the handy things about them is they have an LED meter for level. I use a lot of modular synths, so if I'm getting no sound, it's great to have a visual display so I can see what's wrong somewhere in my chain.
At the moment my most used synth pre is Q8. They are just a bit warmer and fatter than the API. I've got a few in different models, all racked by Rob at Proharmonic.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:09 am

Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby mylesgm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:38 am

I just built a pair of these kits and they rock both as DIs and mic pres. Germanium tone with lots of colour and german haufe transformers... oh yeah they took me about an hour to solder each one, they fit in a 500 rack and they cost around 200euro each.
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mylesgm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:40 am

correction they need a 51x rack (+/-24v rather than 16v) but I think if you look through the build thread that there is a mod so that they run on a lower supply.
Myles Mumford

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mustgroove » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:47 am

mylesgm - are you talking about the Chandler Germaniums or the AWTACs? The Chandler (well the MKII at least) appears to be compatible with 500 series racks: http://www.chandlerlimited.com/prod_500.php

All Chandler 500 series units have now been tested and proven to have no power issues in the following racks: API 500V 10-slot with L200 PSU; API 500-6B Lunchbox; API 500-6B HC “new version” Lunchbox; BAE 11-slot with power one supply; BAE 6-slot portable with power one supply; BAE 6-slot with Avedis designed supply; A-Designs 2-slot; Purple Sweet 10; and Empirical Labs 2-slot. Not yet tested in Radial Workhorse.
mustgroove

Postby mylesgm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:56 am

ha... I forgot to add the link! this is the one...

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=39570.0
Myles Mumford

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Ben M » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:31 pm

mustgroove wrote:I'm thinking about my signal chain for synth recording, and I think a preamp is next on my list... I have a Prism Orpheus as my primary audio interface, so in terms of "clean" preamps I'm pretty much covered - what I want is character & colour I guess.

Anyone have any particular suggestions? Something that's available in a 500 series module would be ideal... from what I've read, Chandler Germanium MKIIs might fit the bill?

I haven't tried these but I've thought it could be worth a look for exactly what you want it for (colour and character) plus putting a bit of grain on synths... but alas not 500 series.
http://www.thermionicculture.com/products/rooster.html
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby headman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:15 pm

I use a pair of TG preamps from Joe Malone they add just the right amount of colour for me, have a line in and are fantastic for guitar as well. he makes these in a 500 series format these days if you have a API rack. Also I use a pair of pres that Bruce Evans built many years ago...you can find these if you look hard enough.

headman
headman

Return to Vintage Synth Forum