Kick port?

Let's talk about kits and mics, new and old. What are you using? What do you want? What's the difference?

Moderators: ChrisW, rick, Mark Bassett

Kick port?

Postby Lee » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:14 pm

What's the purpose of a Kick drum port? I saw a long plastic one on a kick drum recently and had never seen one until then. It was similar to this
http://www.kickport.com/kickport.html

Does anyone here use them?
Lee McDonald
"A smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from other's"
Lee
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Kick port?

Postby ChrisW » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:48 pm

The word I've heard from a couple of drummer's I trust is "BS".
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Ben M » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:13 pm

I've noticed on a DW kick that I record occasionally it helps port or assist the air pressure from the drum and define the kick better. More for rock. I've also noticed that it reinforces the flappy hole that is usually cut out of the bass drum skin. Having it on seems to make that connection more solid and is helpful if you like to put a mic right at the hole. For recording I think they are helpful I don't think I would care in a live situation. Maybe gaffer tape around the hole would be just as good but porting this way seems to funnel the puff of air well and supports the skin. I'm only talking about a rock kick sound BTW.
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Lee » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Has anyone used a sub Kick infront of a kick port? That sounds like an interesting combo.
Lee McDonald
"A smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from other's"
Lee
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ben M » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:46 pm

Lee wrote:Has anyone used a sub Kick infront of a kick port? That sounds like an interesting combo.

My sub kick is always on the non ported area to be able to get a punch mic either inside or around the hole. I guess it's the simplest method of getting both punch and sub... unless you bring the punch mic around to the beater side of the kick.

I imagine it would make it more of a woolier woof (what does that mean?) with more air punching into the sub kick. Always willing to experiment but I have my doubts on that one being complimentary.
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Kurt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:55 pm

A few guys I deal with regularly use them and love them. I generally like to mic just inside the hole but with a kickport installed the mic has to be a couple of inches out.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby danander11 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:04 am

I like them live, but not for recording.. without listening to all of the marketing crap.. It just makes the kick sound a tad 'firmer', not as nice as when the kick couples with the riser or stage, but still nice. I've not liked them when recording though...
Danny Anderson
danander11

Postby Drumstruck » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:29 am

There are plenty of positive comments around from drummers who've used them - generally the word is that they make a smaller drum sound bigger..... They would have to focus the note somewhat like a ported speaker - but like a port they need to be in the right spot and the correct tuned length.

The chrome ones look nice and (as said above) reinforce the hole in the front skin.
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Damien » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:03 pm

from the drummers seat the kick is easier to hear. a bit punchier. acoustically easier to hear.

from the mic side, yuk. you get a whistle/air noise and the kick sounds weird, almost phasey.

there is an acoustic guitar "Port" as well. this makes the acoustic (acoustically) louder and easier to hear. great for buskers. my girl does pre schools music classes. this really helps her in the classes as there is no amplification and the guitar is louder. again i take it out to record or play live amplified.

both products make the instrument louder acoustically. not better for recording.
i dont mic up the ports on a speaker cabinet and these are ports for acoustic instruments.
Damien Young
damienyoungmusic@gmail.com
0412 354 254
Damien
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:34 pm

Yes, I'm really talking about recording and I've heard similar negative comments.
I would think using a subkick, or NS10 type arrangement would give you all the low end you need (for recording).
There are simple metal rings you can buy to reinforce holes cut into front heads.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby onebaldbloke » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:29 am

Live use - yes, recording, probably no.
At gigs, they seem to increase the volume of the kick a great deal, though I doubt that would be good when recording.
Bob Spencer.
Guitarist, mostly.
http://www.bobspencer.com.au
onebaldbloke

Return to Recording Drums?